LED flashlight for hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

robojaz

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am after some advice on an appropriate LED flashlight to use for hunting. It needs to be light enough to attach to a telescopic sight but have enough throw and dispersion to comfortably and SAFELY see game and illuminate the background out to about 200 metres or more.

In terms of battery duration, I will be using the flashlight for short durations 1-2 minutes at a time on hi power over a period of 3-4 hours.

I was considering going down the path of a Jetbeam M1x or a Fenix TK30, but I know there are many others of varying price and quality available.

Also, if this thread has been done before, can someone point me in the right direction.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Lightman2

Enlightened
Hi Robojaz, good question on what to look for. Typically most of the lights CPF deal with or talk about appear to be typically hand held lights not tactical lights. When your talking tactical your getting into specific lights that have reflectors that project and throw a beam right out there and are also small in size such as Insight Technology Inc and Sure Fire to name a few. To get 200 meters applicable to hunting anyhting that is offered from what CPF talk about would probably be to large or to heavy (depending on what you call to heavy). Insight Technology In do a 1 x 123 3 volt lithium light called a HX120 which has a very deep reflector allowing maximum throw and could be worth a look but you would be paying premium dollars and that also is why you do not see Sure Fire or others like it on the forum, simple because many here are looking for a good brand that doesn't cost the earth which Sure Fire does. Someone here may be able to suggest something but I cannot other than stating for size and weight it would have to be a 2 x 123 3 volt lithium job. A momentary switch operated light would allow a more natural use by having the lights pressure pad located near the foreend of the weapon. Eagletac or Thrunite may have something to suit. Other thing you have to think about is recoil as all of the proper made weapon lights have systems that allow recoil to be absorbed so that nothing gets damaged inside the light albiet that with LED's you pretty much do not have to worry about that sort of thing. All the best.

robojaz

Newly Enlightened
Ah, yes..

Recoil, I did not consider this. I will check out the link you provided.

Thanks again.

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
What kind of hunting uses the technique of turning on the light for a couple minutes periodically? What is being hunted? Is a colored LED preferable? There are specialty LED lights used for predator hunting and feral hog hunting.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
You should add the Solarforce Pro-1 to your list. It's a great thrower, even with a single 18650 battery and 200L. Throws even better with 2x18650 at 275L. And very affordable.

I have only been using mine on my .17HMR, so recoil is non-existent.

Pacecar - I hunt foxes with mine, using a thrower mounted on the scope and a scouting torch (L2 with XR-E R2 and SMO) around my neck to pick up eye reflections. Once I have a target in range I'll get the rifle into action and fire up the rifle mounted light - it might only be on for a few seconds at a time.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know what exactly what it is you need. but if your looking for something similar to the M1X, or TK30.
i would suggest looking at the Thrunite Catapult v3 XM-L (neutral) version.
mainly because its neutral tint. the tint would help in an outdoor enviornment. I think you would be able to differenciate more of what your looking at from long distances.
also the catapult can throw better than the 2 lights mentioned above.

and from my own experience, my cats and dogs dont mind my neutral/warm tint lights as much as my cool tints.
they usually turn away from my cool tints. and dont seem bothered as much by neutrals.

Snowman_ski

Newly Enlightened
I just gifted my m1x, and replaced it with a dereelight dbs with a aspheric head. Blows the jetbeam away on throw. The aspheric head would be great for using with a scope. Cheaper then the jetbeam too.

McJagger

Newly Enlightened
I can recomend a Fenix TK21, with a remote pressure switch. Works great.

robojaz

Newly Enlightened
What kind of hunting uses the technique of turning on the light for a couple minutes periodically? What is being hunted? Is a colored LED preferable? There are specialty LED lights used for predator hunting and feral hog hunting.

Hi, I would mostly being using it to hunt rabbits and the ocasional wallaby. Using the torch to light up and scan clearings in the scrub. It seems I now have a few more flashlights to investigate. This is exactly what I wanted from this thread.

Thanks guys.

McCoy

Newly Enlightened
Are the lights your currently using white light or are they colored red or green for example? I've read that red preserves night vision while green comes in a close second. Have you considered those as an option?

robojaz

Newly Enlightened
Are the lights your currently using white light or are they colored red or green for example? I've read that red preserves night vision while green comes in a close second. Have you considered those as an option?

I have considered other colours. However I am concerned that having a coloured light would flatten the background reducing the ability to identify what may be behind my intended target.

Blitzwing

Enlightened
You won't have much worry with recoil then. There really aren't any red or green lights that can throw as far as you want. I have a red Solarforce dropin (maybe XR-E?) for an L2 and with a smooth reflector it runs out of puff at 50m or so. Adding an aspheric lens gets it out to about 90m - eyes really light up at long distances but throw isn't enough to ID things at the ranges you are talking.

robojaz

Newly Enlightened
I just gifted my m1x, and replaced it with a dereelight dbs with a aspheric head. Blows the jetbeam away on throw. The aspheric head would be great for using with a scope. Cheaper then the jetbeam too.

Yes the DBS does look interesting. However the website is confusing as to what options to get.

So now my shortlist looks like:

Jetbeam m1x
Fenix TK30 / 35
Thrunite Catapult V2
Solarforce pro1
Dereelight dbs

Looks like I have few reviews to search for....

Snowman_ski

Newly Enlightened
DBS setup
Well for throw go with the aspheric head package. The XRE R2 has better throw.
2nd choice, the way I went, get the 700 lumen series XML, smooth reflector, and then add a 35 dollar aspheric head. And maybe buy a seperate pill for it. If you want to run 2 18650, buy the accesory ext650. That simple.

robojaz

Newly Enlightened
DBS setup
Well for throw go with the aspheric head package. The XRE R2 has better throw.
2nd choice, the way I went, get the 700 lumen series XML, smooth reflector, and then add a 35 dollar aspheric head. And maybe buy a seperate pill for it. If you want to run 2 18650, buy the accesory ext650. That simple.

Thanks, I will look into it.

BoarHunter

Newly Enlightened

Poaching ! :)

Although it is forbiden to use a flahslight where I hunt, I reckon I have used it twice. The hour was still legal but the visibility was not despite a good scope and I have used a Streamlight Scorpion that I just squeezed along the foreend with my left hand, to shoot wild boars, distance 50 and 60meters.

As for the recoil, OK because of the elastic nature of the mount !

I am pretty sure my TK35 could do it too. Will have to check. The issue is that the beam has to be somewhat aligned with the bore.

As for the beam and flood, the TK35 is perfect up to 200m. You will need plenty of flood to see rabbits. No standard mount for it though. Recoil is not an issue with sissy calibers like 22Mag or 5.56NATO.

seven11

Newly Enlightened
I have an XLR 250 kill light attached to my Savage .223 and I use it for coyote hunting. It will illuminate eyes out to about 220 yards and you can identify your target at about 180 yards. The reason I like this light so much is that it throws really well, is relatively compact and comes in a variety of colors. You can find lights that will throw farther, but not in this price range and not in this small of a package. www.elusivewildlife.com or www.sniperhawglights.com are the best places to get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.