Have you ever used your LED flashlight in self-defence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Have you ever used your LED flashlight in self-defence? If so, what was the outcome? Which light was it, and how many lumens? Did it make things worse? I read about one guy who used his light to aid in self-defence, but ultimately, the majority of the defence part was due to his firearm. But, can flashlights play a bigger role in self-defence?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had to use anything for self-defense...flashlight, gun, stick :)

I don't think a flashlight can be counted on for doing much more than lighting up what you may be shooting at :)

Maybe a flashlight can be considered self-defense if you consider that someone may not be as likely to mess with someone where there is light.

I'm sure if someone jumped me it's better to have a heavy light in my hand than nothing but really that's a stretch.

I think it's better to just stay away from an area where you may need something (flashlight or anything else) for self-defense :)

Last edited:

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
You can strobe and/or blind, which is not pleasant.
I've never had to use anything for self-defense...flashlight, gun, stick :)

I don't think a flashlight can be counted on for doing much more than lighting up what you may be shooting at :)

Maybe a flashlight can be considered self-defense if you consider that someone may not be as likely to mess with someone where there is light.

I'm sure if someone jumped me it's better to have a heavy light in my hand than nothing but really that's a stretch.

herosemblem

Enlightened
The discussion of preserving one's own well-being is expressly forbidden by wimpy Californians who, as suggested by all accounts, are afraid to stand up for themselves and would rather not have such discussion in a lighting-oriented, family-friendly forum.

aivn

Newly Enlightened
I have: a week ago I used the strobe of my M20 on a pack of stray dogs in my neighbourhood and they forgot to bark and growl and I was safe. Sofia, Bulgaria :shakehead

AaronG

Enlightened
honestly, Anyone who could defend themselves with a flashlight, could probably defend themselves without a flashlight. Not quite the same as a tactical pen, but close

warmurf

Enlightened
Well, I nearly had to use my flashlight in self defence when my wife found out how much it cost..... I quickly realised however that the red rays of light coming from her eyes would out-power my humble triple XML, and decided to hike it out the door- lesson, regardless of your self defence item, don't pick a fight you can't win!

Last edited:

shane45_1911

Enlightened
Here we go again...

Flashlights have nothing to do with self defense unless you are maybe using it as an impact weapon - in which case any hard cylindrical object would work just as effectively (or not). However, a flashlight is a ****-poor substitute for any weapon in a self defense scenario. I have yet to see any light light that would stop me from reaching out and "touching" you, if that was my intent.

A flashlight is an illumination tool, not a magic ray of death.

Still open... :)

Last edited:

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
You could probably use a big enough light as a kubaton or asp if a knife or gun weren't available.

I like to think of lights as more of a discouragement tool. No bad guy likes being bathed in bright light while they're prowling about.

sidenote: walking home with my wife and daughter last night through our neighborhood, which is not terribly well lit, I gave my 2yr old a flashie to play with.
She promptly started pointing it all over as kids are wont to do and she caught me in the eyes a few times.
I have to say that if you were to blast someone, with night-adjusted vision, in the face with a E1B or so light would be pretty effective in blinding them for a few seconds.
It's actually kind of painful too.

Status
Not open for further replies.