High Amperage Solarforce L2p Tail Switch

doctor ladd

Newly Enlightened
I am waiting on a 5.6 amp dropin and expecting it to fry the stock switch, any suggestions as to mods or switches?
I know the Solarforce S7 switch claims "over 5 amp" which would probably be fine but If there were something I could do to the original or a clicky that would fit inside the original tail that would be great.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElectronGuru has a sales thread over in CPFMarketplace for McClicky upgraded S7's and I've heard you can modify a stock Solarforce tail to a McClicky but don't know what all is involved in doing it (yet).

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
There has also been some development work on a FETtie switch to work with Solarforce tailcaps, but no general public offering of finished designs (yet.) If you're prepared for the cost, a PM to VanIsleDSM might be worthwhile.

- Syncytial.

doctor ladd

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I figure it will be a bit pricey.

For now I have ordered an S7 switch but still want a good low resistance tail. I wonder how to mod a switch with the oveready zerorez spring replacement.

I hear the S7 can handle the amps but has high resistance, I couldn't find an explanation of why but assume it's partly the spring.

richpalm

Banned
I have a couple of 4.2A dropins and I use the stock switch... they all work fine. But I solder a copper braid from the PC board to the end of the spring and also solder a flat copper rivet onto the spring so I get a solid battery negative contact. I have a dozen lights set up with various triples that I built and all work fine.

I've dismantled several Solarforce clickies and at least they all have silver contacts inside.

Rich

doctor ladd

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of 4.2A dropins and I use the stock switch... they all work fine. But I solder a copper braid from the PC board to the end of the spring and also solder a flat copper rivet onto the spring so I get a solid battery negative contact. I have a dozen lights set up with various triples that I built and all work fine.

I've dismantled several Solarforce clickies and at least they all have silver contacts inside.

Rich

This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I'm guessing this is de-soldering braid? It sounds pretty straight foreward but I would love to see a picture of your work if you have one.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I want to know is... why the braid? Why not solder another spring in place and make a dual-spring setup? Or just use a more substantial spring? I've been looking into making a low-resistance Surefire/Solarforce compatible switch that can handle 10A+.. I'm thinking a dual spring design may help...

Shao

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've soldered copper braid through a mag spring to decrease resistance before. The spring provides the pressure, the braid provides the shortest electrical path.

If your dual spring setup had a stiff outer spring to provide pressure on the battery, and a smaller, low resistance inner spring to give a better electrical path, that could work.

tuelleric

Enlightened
You can easily install a Oveready McClicky kit in the stock L2P tailcap. The only thing you need is another washer. One with 19.7 mm x 10.7 mm that is for M10 screws fits perfectly.

Here you go:

7007206pdu.jpg

The original switch vs. the OR McClicky.

7007270ayv.jpg

The same disassembled.

7007297afq.jpg

Just replace the o-ring with the new washer.

7007307fkh.jpg

With the washer instead of the o-ring.

7007326rtx.jpg

Installed in the tailcap.

7007350ows.jpg

Works fine :)

Hope it helps.
Till

Chrisdm

Enlightened
You can easily install a Oveready McClicky kit in the stock L2P tailcap. The only thing you need is another washer. One with 19.7 mm x 10.7 mm that is for M10 screws fits perfectly.

Till

Thanks so much Till, I too am looking to hotrod an L2p... But I'm not the "hardware" type, is this a common washer at a hardware store, or something I would order online? Thanks!

tuelleric

Enlightened
But I'm not the "hardware" type, is this a common washer at a hardware store, or something I would order online? Thanks!

For metric screws it is the standard washer for M10 threads. I guess you will find it in the hardware store. Maybe a washer for 3/8" screws will also fit. Anyway, it is just a few pence trying :)

richpalm

Banned
+1 for pics. I want to do a similar mod myself.

Had bad thunderstorm at 0330 last week, stupid me forgot to shut a window; water came in and wiped out my camera and tower.

Working from my closet backup tower now-camera done in.

Rich

doctor ladd

Newly Enlightened
Well, if anyone is following this I discovered that the zerorez fits into the s7 switch just fine, I had to remove a few threads on my l2p for a good fit and the surefire boot sits a little crooked but it works perfectly.