MD2 Head Drop In Change

GreySave

Enlightened
Hi Folks:

How do you change the drop in in a Malkoff MD2 head with the two stage switch? It looks like there is a retaining ring with a normal right heanded thread design, but it does not want to budge and I'd rather ask before breaking something.

Alan

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
That's how it's done.

For me, it helps to run the light a little until it gets warm, then undo it. I suppose the metal expanding makes it easier, or something. Insert technical explanation here.

dss_777

Enlightened
I had the same issue in trying to add a high/low switch, but ended up sending it back to Gene suince I was afraid to mung it up. I think he said he uses a thread locking compound. It does make switching drop-ins a bit more daunting...

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problems with my old style MD2... super easy to remove one dropin and install another one... so good that I'm gonna get another, new style MD2 after I come back from R&R... one of my favorite hosts, period...
Mr. Malkoff, any chance that orange MD2 might show up in offer in the near future ???

dss_777

Enlightened
Must be for the turnkey lights, all my MD2 lights have come disassembled. Never seen threadlock on it.

It was a turnkey MD2/M61. With the high/low switch, my favorite light ever. Maybe I'll try using the M61L module in it now that I know it's less likely I'll break something...

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, I just had this same conversation with Gene on the phone the other day, and it turned into a fun, long conversation. I needed to know how firmly I could really get that two stage down before hurting anything (really damned tight is the answer!). We talked about using the locktite, and the reasons for not doing so anymore.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I tighten mine down a lil, not hard. I would guess as long as it's half a turn beyond hand tightening it, heat sinking and waterproofness are unaffected. :shrug:

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
It was a turnkey MD2/M61. With the high/low switch, my favorite light ever. Maybe I'll try using the M61L module in it now that I know it's less likely I'll break something...

You may be disappointed with the light level on the low ring and the M61L. even with RCR's it's not much light. I did try this option but found it was a waste of the low mode; with primaries the low ring was bordering on a moonlight mode and not very solid.

With an M61W. and 3x16340 in an MD3 with Hi/Low, the low is about 50L. and very useful indeed: A very good choice, where the low mode is useful light and extends the runtime by a such a huge amount. In my MD2 with 2x16340 I get about 40L. which is also very useful.

Good Luck. :)

dss_777

Enlightened
You may be disappointed with the light level on the low ring and the M61L. even with RCR's it's not much light. I did try this option but found it was a waste of the low mode; with primaries the low ring was bordering on a moonlight mode and not very solid.

With an M61W. and 3x16340 in an MD3 with Hi/Low, the low is about 50L. and very useful indeed: A very good choice, where the low mode is useful light and extends the runtime by a such a huge amount. In my MD2 with 2x16340 I get about 40L. which is also very useful.

Good Luck. :)

Thanks, you might just be on to something I was struggling with.

I like the low in the MD2/M61 combo (with 2 CR123s running in regulation), and think it's quite useful. However, when the batteries dropped below the level where they were regulated by the dropin, the "high" was barely adequate and the "low" was kinda sickly and not very useful for me. Sounds almost exactly as you decribed it.

FWIW, while "moonlight" mode has an appeal to me in theory, it's frustratingly un-useful in how I use the light. If I need "just a little bit" of light, I'll use the old Arc AAA on my keychain.

My interest comes from how pleased I am with the output and runtime of the M61L in a single mode light, which I really like for the G2 host.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Thanks, you might just be on to something I was struggling with.

I like the low in the MD2/M61 combo (with 2 CR123s running in regulation), and think it's quite useful. However, when the batteries dropped below the level where they were regulated by the dropin, the "high" was barely adequate and the "low" was kinda sickly and not very useful for me. Sounds almost exactly as you decribed it.

FWIW, while "moonlight" mode has an appeal to me in theory, it's frustratingly un-useful in how I use the light. If I need "just a little bit" of light, I'll use the old Arc AAA on my keychain.

My interest comes from how pleased I am with the output and runtime of the M61L in a single mode light, which I really like for the G2 host.

What does go nicely with enough light and fantastic runtime is this combo: IX18500 AW. (FiveMega body mine, but there are many others), Z44 Bezel, Z59 tail-cap, Malkoff M61LL. for an honest 100+ lumens and very long runtime. I didn't use the LLW. the M61LL. is just perfect as a walker, with or without dog & the size is about as pocket friendly as you could ever get - I like this combo, a lot. Cheers :twothumbs.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW the low on the high/low ring is the SAME on all like tint modules. Example: My M61W and M61WLL have IDENTICAL output on the low setting in my MD2. I tried this hoping for a moonlight mode but no go. It was confirmed in another thread.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Actually, the low light level is dependent on voltage. With 1x18650 in an MD2, there is not much light at all on the low setting, (From the Boss). With 3x16340's in an MD3 the low output is a very useful 50+L.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the low light level is dependent on voltage. With 1x18650 in an MD2, there is not much light at all on the low setting, (From the Boss). With 3x16340's in an MD3 the low output is a very useful 50+L.
True, depending on input voltage. I only compared each module with the exact same battery. 1x18650 will be lower than 2xprimaries or 2xrcr.

GreySave

Enlightened
Funny, I just had this same conversation with Gene on the phone the other day, and it turned into a fun, long conversation.. ...... We talked about using the locktite, and the reasons for not doing so anymore.

LOL. So did I! Great guy. Really appreciated a phone call when he could have easily replied by e-mail. That is customer service that is well appreciated. Considering a VME head for one of my E series SureFires now. Should have listened and gone with some of Gene's products long ago........