Help me decide.....Stinger or Stinger HP!!!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to decide between the standard Stinger and Stinger HP. I know the HP doesn't put out more light, just fools the candlepower meter. But how does it change the light pattern? Is the extra bulk of the HP head worth it?

I like the pattern of the Surefire M3 with HOLA, how do these compare?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a 6V battery stick and an Ultrastinger bulb in your HP and you'll smoke the M3 in terms of long range output...But that's another thread.

Between the two, I prefer the stock Stinger. The HP head simply makes a more fousable/long range light.

-dan

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the Stinger compare to Surefire 9v's?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a PILA GL4. Brighter, longer run time and you can also use DL123's and get almost 200 lumens.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
madecov said:
Buy a PILA GL4. Brighter, longer run time and you can also use DL123's and get almost 200 lumens.

[/ QUOTE ] I looked at Pila a while back but they were pricy IIRC.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a StingerHP on charge all the time in my truck. If you are thinking of carrying it somehow, get the PLAIN Stinger!

As to light pattern. Mine has Writeright on the lense. I couldn't help, I've been spoiled. With out it, it focuses pretty darn tight, and throws pretty far. It is mostly white wall or other surface area shing that makes me Writeright it. Aw heck >goes out to get it< >shines it around out there in trees and whatnot - with and with out Writeright< Okay, against concrete up close or white wall indoors, it SCREAMS for Writeright. However, brightness at distance is hurt pretty significantly at my test of about 150-175 feet. With Writeright, I can light the house over there and the tree over it. Without WR, I can spot that house GOOD, and see details that I can't with WR.

Last item of note. It doesn't defocus worth diddly. One way is black hole territory, the other way is wings.

It has a moderatly textured reflector about halfway from the bottom upwards. I think it could REALLY stand orange peel, or an Acrylite lense!

What's this about a 6V battery stick? How would I charge it? The Ultra Stinger bulb should be easy.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe, you've got me confused now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The XT I handled a while back would focus to a SF type beam and that's about it. Flood was spotty and spot could get too tight to be useful. I would focus it to the widest spot before wings and rings started showing up.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far the consensus seems to be get the standard stinger.

I too would like to hear more about the 6v mod. Maybe Dan could start a thread in flashlight mods? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yeah, more info...

I just took the battery stick out because I THOUGHT I remembered something. It reads:

Model: 25170 (Sl-20XP,6.0V), 75175 (Stinger, 3.6V), or 77175 (SuperStinger, 6.0V)

So what the heck does THAT mean? Can this stick take 6.0V? Or did it have to start life that way?

PLEASE more info!!!

richpalm

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Yeah, more info...

I just took the battery stick out because I THOUGHT I remembered something. It reads:

Model: 25170 (Sl-20XP,6.0V), 75175 (Stinger, 3.6V), or 77175 (SuperStinger, 6.0V)

So what the heck does THAT mean? Can this stick take 6.0V? Or did it have to start life that way?

PLEASE more info!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! I would change mine also (or put it on B/S/T)

Rich

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the US bulb fit in the standard stinger?

Catapult

Enlightened
I say get the standard Stinger, and then get the Stinger HP upgrade kit. That way, you can switch between the two.

What's that about a 6V battery stick? Is there one that would fit in the Stinger?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't take it anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I ordered a stinger with AC piggyback charger and extra battery from smokesign.com for $77 shipped! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ahhh......the rush........ Homer Simpson voice mmmmmm.....flashlight........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

richpalm

Banned
We literally cross-posted... I just put my XTHP on BST. Oh, well.

Do let us know how this smokesign.com is as far as shipping speed, etc. Prices are good.

Rich

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um...I posted about the 6 volt Stinger in the Modified forum...

Quickly, I got 5 1/2 sub-c cells wired it up like a standard Stinger pack, threw in an Ultrastinger bulb and head...And have a 6 volt Stinger...

--dan

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here is a secondhand observation..........had the AC repair guy over last week to fix the AC. Got to the point where he was trying to read the data plate in the dark utility closet. I whipped out my MMM but he said that it was ok and pulled out the funkiest, most scared-up old Stinger I'd ever seen. He said it was 5 years old and was still on the origional bulb and batteries. He swore by it! Makes me wonder if I should get one.

FNG

Enlightened
Can anyone estimate the brightness of the Stinger compared to a P60/Scorpion? I caught a glimpse of the light the other week and it looked pretty compact.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
FNG, I'm still waiting for somebody to compare it to a 9v Surefire.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FNG said:
I missed that post.

[/ QUOTE ] We want answers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif