IPX-8

Lightman2

Enlightened
I have been to a good number of manufacturers web sites and have seen over 4 descriptions of IPX-8???????? Surely a standard is a standard an not able to be changed or interpruted differantly?

mwb01

Newly Enlightened
I read that IPX8 just means it can be immersed in over 1 meter for a substantial amount of time. The manufacturer is supposed to specify exactly how deep and maybe how long it can stay under. Maybe the descriptions were the manufacturers' specifications on how deep for how long and they said IPX8 because it's beyond one meter.

Lightman2

Enlightened
I guess question is what is actual IPX-8 (which I know now) and why OEM's have various depthm and times stated based on the IPX-8 standard. I think mwb01 answered that.

CyberCT

Enlightened
From experience, Fenix lights are very durable for being underwater for at least 9 or so feet. Many of mine have been used for freshwater snorkeling last year. Fenix supposedly rates them to 3 meters, but tests them up to 10 meters in their shop in China (there was a thread about this some time ago, someone took a tour of the shop). I can't speak for other manufacturers.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have personally used a stock Solarforce L2 at a depth of 65 feet (sea water) with no issues.

That said, I was prepared to kill the light. I wouldn't recommend it for your favorite brand new flashlight.

DaveyJones

Newly Enlightened
ipx-8 simply means it can be immersed 1m for half an hour or so.
thing is that its the highest rating, so if a company tests its products to outperform that,
it has to alude to it in the description.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
IPX8 (or the North American NEMA/CEMA 4/4X) is not always the best unless you go swimming with your light.
Batteries especially alkaline tend to vent gas. With a sealed light the gas has nowhere to go. With clickies the rubber switch cover just blows up like a balloon (why do you think Fenix and 4sevens supply spare rubber boots). Twisties are more dangerous, the pressure shatters and blows out the lens. I have read 2 instances - in one case the user (not a CPF member) was looking into the light (sigh!) and had just lowered it when it blew.

Many hazardous rated Streamlight and UK torches have a catalyst pellet to combine the hydrogen with air to make water. And some have a vent to let out excess pressure. Not IPX8 but safer if your batteries releases gas.