Run times

Lightman2

Enlightened
Someone educate me please. I note a number of manufactuers saying their lights run for 'X' amount of time on high or whatever mode for so many 'X' hours. Do I take it that they are saying tou will get that constant lumen output for that amount of time or are they saying the light will operate in that mode for that time but not that constant lumen output? In other words as the time goes on the light will get dimmer but still operate hence them saying the run time.

Potato42

Newly Enlightened
It depends on the light. If you look at the runtime graphs created by those that do reviews (selfbuilt here for example), you'll notice that most lights are not perfectly linear in output until the batteries need to be replaced. The better regulated lights do maintain near perfect output until the batteries are drained. Some people actually don't like that, and prefer the light to dim, or some sort of warning flash before it dies.

Have a look in the reviews section for graphs or try sites like light-reviews to see the runtime graphs. The left side of the graph is output, the bottom is time. Flat line is excellent regulation, and a downward slope is less than perfect regulation. You'll also notice many lights have perfect regulation in some modes, but not others.

Warp

Enlightened
Someone educate me please. I note a number of manufactuers saying their lights run for 'X' amount of time on high or whatever mode for so many 'X' hours. Do I take it that they are saying tou will get that constant lumen output for that amount of time or are they saying the light will operate in that mode for that time but not that constant lumen output? In other words as the time goes on the light will get dimmer but still operate hence them saying the run time.

It depends on the light. If you look at the runtime graphs created by those that do reviews (selfbuilt here for example), you'll notice that most lights are not perfectly linear in output until the batteries need to be replaced. The better regulated lights do maintain near perfect output until the batteries are drained. Some people actually don't like that, and prefer the light to dim, or some sort of warning flash before it dies.

Have a look in the reviews section for graphs or try sites like light-reviews to see the runtime graphs. The left side of the graph is output, the bottom is time. Flat line is excellent regulation, and a downward slope is less than perfect regulation. You'll also notice many lights have perfect regulation in some modes, but not others.

This is a very goo response. Some lights, at least on lower output levels, will produce a constant level of light and then fall off a cliff when the power source has been drained to within an inch of life. Some taper down from the beginning.

The majority of the time time runtimes are quoted it is probably to either 50% of initial output or even 10% of initial output. ANSI runtimes are to 10% of initial output (initial output being out the front 30 seconds after being turned on)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, buying well regulated lights/drop-ins will give you continuous lumen out-put for a certain period of time, where as a direct drive will start to taper off as soon as you power it on. Malkoff drop-ins are well regulated, as well as the Surefire E2L (one of the best regulated lights for it's out-put).