G2 Nitrolon

loc

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

First post here.

I have a G2 Nirolon xenon light and looking to upgrade the bulb.

I have two/three uses for this light. Can this be done or do I need different bulbs or different lights?

1)Next to bedside for use for home protection in off hand of Glock 19.(bright not real long run time needed)
2)Mounted on AR15. (bright not real long run time needed)
3)used for entering and exiting woods for hunting. (need long runtime as walk is 45 minutes or so in and then out)

If number 2 is a problem due to people saying single output is the only way to go on a rifle no biggy I can find another option for that but number 1 and 2 I would like to use the same light or atleast just swap bulbs.

Not looking to spend $60 on a M60L when the light only costs $30. I'm assuming there are some economical bulbs.

I'm new to all this son the Volts and draw and such are all "greek" to me.

Thanks

AIC

Newly Enlightened
Re: G2 Nirolon

Sounds like your G2 with the stock p-60 is still a very good option. Granted cells will become expensive on the hunting trips, but that's why good hunters bag their buck (or whatever the game is) on the first day...

I actually use this in my G2 with pretty good results.

It is essentially a single mode, but you pick what brightness you want, between about 2 lumens, to about 180 and anywhere in between.
The mode switching actually works pretty well with the G2's twisty switch too.

But for the most part I use the stock p60 lamp, especially while hunting since my hunting location is only about 100 yards from Camp!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 on the R2 Cree. With that dropin you could use rechargeables and carry spares in a tube in your pocket. The P60 dropin is quick and easy to change--just remember to change the batteries. You might choose to stay with the R2 and rechargeables. There are lots of options. Using 2 lights is one of them. Good hunting! Welcome to CPF!

loc

Newly Enlightened

+1 on the R2 Cree. With that dropin you could use rechargeables and carry spares in a tube in your pocket. The P60 dropin is quick and easy to change--just remember to change the batteries. You might choose to stay with the R2 and rechargeables. There are lots of options. Using 2 lights is one of them. Good hunting! Welcome to CPF!

Hotwire, I'm new to this as well as the lingo. So your agree with the 0-100 R2 vs R2 one mode? So with the P60 stock bulb you have to use the CR123's and not rechargables?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to CPF, Loc. To run any decent LED Drop-in, you may want to consider getting a metal bezel for your G2. This will allow for better heat management of the LED, and keep it brighter...the nitrolon bezel traps heat, causing the thermal protection circuits to cut in, lowering the out-put)., where as the aluminum one acts as a heat sink, drawing the heat away from the LED. This will also extend the life of your LED.

This isn;t as much of a problem with lower powered drop-ins with built in heat sinks, but your options are pretty limited with using drop-ins and keeping the nitolon bezel. You can find one over in the MP for about $16...but, you could also sell the nitrolon bezel for about $10 to recoup some of the costs. Hope this helps, and again, Welcome to CPF!

AIC

Newly Enlightened

Welcome to CPF, Loc. To run any decent LED Drop-in, you may want to consider getting a metal bezel for your G2. This will allow for better heat management of the LED, and keep it brighter...the nitrolon bezel traps heat, causing the thermal protection circuits to cut in, lowering the out-put)., where as the aluminum one acts as a heat sink, drawing the heat away from the LED. This will also extend the life of your LED.

With the drop-in I mentioned, a metal head isn't necessary.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are going to use the light for home defense you may want to consider paying more for a good drop-in. There are a lot of inexpensive P60 style LED drop-ins but there aren't that many I would be willing to stake my life on. I would take my chances with the original lamp over a cheap drop-in YMMV

loc

Newly Enlightened

Well it sounds like a mistake purchasing this $30 light....I may just sell it and find a used 6P then go from there, it maybe the better way to go....or just buy a G2x and get it all at once for $55.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Well it sounds like a mistake purchasing this $30 light....I may just sell it and find a used 6P then go from there, it maybe the better way to go....or just buy a G2x and get it all at once for $55.
There's nothing wrong with keeping that G2 as a backup or car flashlight - those models are one of the most popular car flashlights on CPF. If I was going to upgrade that light on a budget, I'd buy a 3-mode XP-G LED dropin from SolarForce (check our /Budget Lights/ subforum for threads on those) and use the high output mode (i.e. with regards to heat buildup) sparingly. On 'medium', you would in all likelihood still find it to be an extremely usable light.

Last edited:

AIC

Newly Enlightened

The G2 was definitely not a mistake. The drop in I mentioned is a pretty good buy, and I would trust my life with it, as much as I would trust my life to any flashlight.
And how often does a person use a lights highest output for more than 20 minutes? Heat build up to the LED should not be a problem with this drop in, or any other multi mode.
And if you find a G2X for $55, let me know, because they went up in price recently. Battery Junction however, still has the 6PX tactical for $69, and the G2X Pro for $65,
Might want to snatch one of those up before the price goes up...

loc

Newly Enlightened

I think I'm going to order SKU 14442 from dealextreme. It is a Cree R2 WC 250 Lumen 5-Memory LED Drop In (3.6-8.4)

I'm assuming it will run on CR123A's that the G2 will take.

I am not against the 0-100 drop in but like the idea of one click and the light on a set mode. I also like the memory if I decide to mount on my AR15. But most likely I will use the stock bulb if I do this due to single mode and recoil. I beleive with this bulb and the stocker it will cover my needs.

If i'm making a wrong decision please let me know before I order.

Also, while i'm ordering is there anything else that I should look at or order that makes sense?

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had more exciting lights, but my #1 go to use with a handgun light has been a G2 with a custom drop in pill made by Milkyspit back several years ago... 4 years or so. Kinda dated, but definitely state of the art at the time. I have no issues running it for several minutes at a time.

Think I'm going to get a Fenix TK11 as my next light and probably get some sort of R5 drop in to get some more brightness out of the G2. I'd prefer to keep it as simple as possible with a defensive light... one mode would be ideal in my opinion. .. less to go wrong and all that.

Be sure to let us know how you like that particular module if you end up ordering it and yes, that particuar module will run on two CR123s, 2 R123s or one 17670. An 18650 won't fit in my G2 unless you modify the lining that is the negative return inside the body. I'm not too worried about runtime on a light such as this though.

dss_777

Enlightened

I think I'm going to order SKU 14442 from dealextreme. It is a Cree R2 WC 250 Lumen 5-Memory LED Drop In (3.6-8.4)

I'm assuming it will run on C123R's that the G2 will take.

I am not against the 0-100 drop in but like the idea of one click and the light on a set mode. I also like the memory if I decide to mount on my AR15. But most likely I will use the stock bulb if I do this due to single mode and recoil. I beleive with this bulb and the stocker it will cover my needs.

If i'm making a wrong decision please let me know before I order.

Also, while i'm ordering is there anything else that I should look at or order that makes sense?

I can't speak to that specific dropin, but given your intended uses, I'd be sure and bring something like this Surefire spares carrier (HERE) so you can have spare batteries and an extra dropin.

You're likely to need it, especially since your light dying while deep in the woods or in a home defense scenario can be more than a little inconvenient. I'd also have a second light with you as well, for the same reasons.

If I had to fix up a Nitrolon G2 and didn't want to spend too much, I'd just get a Surefire P60L LED dropin for cheap from the CPF marketplace. There's one for sale right now for $24, shipped, and that'll bump up your G2 from 65 to 80 lumens, is very unlikely to fail, and will run just fine in that light for up to 12 hours.

Good luck and whatever you do, be sure and test it out before putting yourself in harms way with it.

Cheers!