About to purchase TW4. Would ARC LSx be better?

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
I've pretty much made up my mind on this, but wanted some input. I've read some of the reviews, and they have been positive. I'm also curious as to how another KL4 will compare (whiteness/brightness) to my L4's KL4.

What are people's opinions on this configuration?? It seems that the TW4 would make an excellent camping light, and an excellent pocket light. Or, would an ARC LS be better? Which has better output??

The light is supposed to run around 1 hour at full brightness, then does it drop to a dimmer mode for a while?? How long can I expect usable light for camping?

I've never owned an ARC, but know they are excellent flashlights. Which would be more durable??

Forgive my barrage of questions. I just know that there are knowledgeable owners of both lights on this forum who have excellent opinions and actual experience.

My priority lies with brightness. I'm looking for maximum output from the smallest package.

Thanks for any opinions/suggestions.

batterystation

Enlightened
I have both of them. I really like my Arc. A real workhorse, but that TW4 will positively dust it. I have debated making a TW4 my EDC. E1E/KL1 is current EDC.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
How about the upcoming LS4?? What is the projected cost of the LS4?? Probably a good bit more than the TW4.

Kevin, what kind of runtimes are you seeing with your TW4? Does it fall to a usable dimmer mode for a long time when the juice is low, or does it just gradually get dimmer and die?

alee

Newly Enlightened
Re: About to purchase TW4. Would ARC LSx be better

My Arc LSH-P is my EDC, and I have a TW4 and a E1e/KL1 with a HD Luxeon. I would say the TW4 is definitely a significant jump over the LSH-P in brightness and will outrun an LSH-P in long term performance (after several hours, the TW4 will still be bright, the LSH-P will be barely useable). However, the LSH-P is a wonderful size and fits very nicely in your pocket.

My general rule with any EDC items (flashlight, wallet, cell phone, etc.) is that it has to be small enough for me to want to carry all the time. The SureFire definitely looks nice, but the rough grippy exterior is generally unfriendly in my pocket.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the reply alee. I'm leaning towards the TW4 more for brightness, but I'm not sure how bright the LS4 is supposed to be when it becomes available. Any ideas on that? Also, for camping, the longer runtime of the TW4 would be nice.

alee

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
E2E4ME said:
Thanks for the reply alee. I'm leaning towards the TW4 more for brightness, but I'm not sure how bright the LS4 is supposed to be when it becomes available. Any ideas on that? Also, for camping, the longer runtime of the TW4 would be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Considering the TW4 uses a 5W emitter and I believe the LS4 is still using a 1W, the TW4 should still have an advantage. That said, since none of us except for maybe a lucky handful have seen a prototype, it's hard to say what the LS4 will be like in the end.

I'm very happy with my TW4 and if you're interested in long run time and small size, this is the right answer, in my opinion. If you want even more brightness later on, for about $50 you can get an L4 body from Tactical Warehouse and make your own L4 using the head and tail from the TW4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My L4 body came today and I haven't stopped playing with it!

outlaw918692000

Newly Enlightened
I have both and the TW4 is brighter than the ARC-LS1rev2 that I have but the ARC has a tighter beam and projects farther. As far as durability the ARC is much more durable and water resistant than the SF. So what are your needs good flood SF, distance ARC, size ARC, water? ARC, changeability to L4 and back to TW4 SF. If you already have a L4 just get a E1 and swap heads then you arn't out as much $.

batterystation

Enlightened

I sat here one night working on the website and chatting with Dan at TW and ran a burn test. I got about 1.5 hours on a fresh 123 in the TW4 setup. It is very impressive.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened

To my eyes, the TW4 and the ARC LSH-p seem about the same brightness. Maybe the tight beam of the LS is fooling me. Also, I've only compared them inside; I haven't tried outside.

I love playing around with the TW4 (and the, just acquired, L4 tube), but the ARC wins for practicality - it fits in my pants pocket, and the TW4 does not.

-barry

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

If you have a McLux and any variant of the L4/KL4, you can remove the head from the McLux and screw the KL4 head on in its place. That should give you an idea of the TW4's output, even if you don't like the physical appearance of the McLux with KL4 head.

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

E2E4ME,

Excellent questions! I personally carry the TW4 for my EDC light. If Arc does release a new version of the LS, I would expect it to be a very nice light. In the meantime, the TW4 is king! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dan

Kevin Tan

Enlightened

Got my TW4 from Dan. Thanks Dan. Been lovin it and even my daughter couldn't resist playing with it nearly everyday when I got home.

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

Kevin Tan,

It sure is a great light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Your daughter has great taste in lights, too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dan

Drjones

Enlightened
If you want brightness, you must get the L4. (Or Tw4 or whatever...)

If not, look elsewhere.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

well ... I don't get it: how can the TW4 be brighter AND burn longer than the Arc while using exactly the same battery and the Arc is supposed to draw less current?
IMHO something does not add up ...
bernhard

Drjones

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
E2E4ME said:
I'm also curious as to how another KL4 will compare (whiteness/brightness) to my L4's KL4.

[/ QUOTE ]

The KL4 is simply the L4 head sold separately, without the body. There will be some slight variation in brightness and tint among LEDs, but there is no actual difference between the KL4 and L4 heads. They are the exact same thing.

[ QUOTE ]
My priority lies with brightness. I'm looking for maximum output from the smallest package.

[/ QUOTE ]

L4 definitely. It is at least 3-4 times brighter than even the LSH-P. Someone posted some stats in another thread and the LSH-P was rated between 22-26 lumens, IIRC, and the L4 is rated at LEAST 65 lumens.

I personally was very disappointed with my Arc LSL and THRILLED with my L4, brightness-wise.

I too wanted a bright light. If you want brightness, look no further than the L4. I'm confused though: do you already have an L4? If so, why would you want to rob yourself of brightness (and probably runtime) by going to a one-cell configuration? You are contradicting yourself...

If you already have an L4 and brightness is your priority, stick with that. Just spend some money on batteries and a solid, waterproof battery holder and you'll be set for camping.

You should definitely have a longer-runtime (and by definition, lower-brightness) light. I'd recommend a CMG Ultra or Inova X5. I think in pitch-black conditions that you will be in in the wilderness, you will probably find the L4 to be TOO bright. You may actually find the X5 or CMG to be more useful.

Again, if it is sheer brightness you want, just keep the L4.

Both the LS and SF are very durable. I see no reason to worry about either, as both are very high-quality lights and should not fail under even abusive circumstances.

Lastly, though I haven't personally seen an E1e or TW4, I really don't think the smaller size makes that big a difference in carryability. If anything, (as I found with my Arc LS) I prefer a longer light like the L4 or X5, as it doesn't get lost in my pocket and is easier to reach in and grab quickly.

The same is not true for smaller lights like the LS and presumably the TW4; you may find yourself digging for it.

Just my opinions and hope it helps...

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
DrJones,

I agree with almost everything you say, except that your comments are about the L4 and not the TW4. The L4 is definitely MUCH brighter than the TW4. Most folks here think that the TW4 is brighter than the ARC LS, but to my eyes it is about the same as the LSH-P.

Sizewise, the LS is smaller than the TW4 which is considerably smaller than the L4. For my purposes, the LS is much more pocketable - YMMV.

-barry

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Just FYI, recently ARC had a consultant measure lumen output of a variety of flashlights. Here are their results:

1x AWS-NAT: 3 Lumens / 9640 Kelvin
2x AWP-NAT: 3 Lumens / 6200-6900 Kelvin
2x LSL-P: 21-23 Lumens / 6770-7300 Kelvin
2x LSH: 14-17 Lumens / 5100-5400 Kelvin
5x LSH-P: 22-25 Lumens / 5300-5800 Kelvin
1x KL1: 19 Lumens / 5900 Kelvin
1x E2: 85 Lumens / 3300 Lelvin
1x L1: 26 Lumens / 6300 Lelvin
1x X5T: 13 Lumens / 8400 Kelvin
1x L4: 81 Lumens / 5300 Kelvin
Mag 2AA: 4-8 Lumens
Mag 2D: 25 Lumens
Solitaire: 2 Lumens

LIGHT SOURCES / COLOR TEMPERATURE (Kelvins)
Candle 1,930
Sunlight at sunset 1,900 - 2,400
Domestic tungsten light bulbs 2,600 - 2,900
TV studio tungsten lighting (2000 Watts) 3,275
TV studio tungsten lighting (5000 Watts) 3,380
Sunrise, Sunset 2,000 -3,000
Fluorescent tube 4,800
Noonday sun 5,000 - 5,600
HMI and MSR lights 5600K
In shade ( light only from hazy sky) 7,500 - 8,400
In shade ( light only from Blue sky) 12,000 - 20,000

Unfortunately, the TW4 is not on the list, but the L4 is. This list may provide more confusion than information, but I think it's pretty interesting.

-barry

p.s. If you want to read the original thread, it's at
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=317399&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1

RevDavid

Enlightened
I EDC the TW4, and love it! I have already seen two people decide to get it when they saw mine. I keep it clipped on my belt loop, with the body inside the loop, and it is both secure, and easily accessible.
I compared the TW4 to the LHSP, and found the coverage to be a bit nicer with the TW4, and that made my decision. I also use the L4, and it is a lot brighter, but I like the size on the TW4 best.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

David <><