Help with Maratac AA

Fooboy

Enlightened
Guys ... need some help.

I have had a Maratac AA on my keychain for quite a while. I have been running into some issues and need your help.

I have been having issues when twisting the light to on, it rapidly cycles - sometimes to the point where I have to actually press the light into the correct level ... and then tighten it down to stay on that level.

I notice that after a few weeks the positive contact of the + end of contact on LED head has black smudge that can be wiped off ... even with negligible / no use.

Any ideas of what could be causing this?

T45

Enlightened
Guys ... need some help.

I have had a Maratac AA on my keychain for quite a while. I have been running into some issues and need your help.

I have been having issues when twisting the light to on, it rapidly cycles - sometimes to the point where I have to actually press the light into the correct level ... and then tighten it down to stay on that level.

I notice that after a few weeks the positive contact of the + end of contact on LED head has black smudge that can be wiped off ... even with negligible / no use.

Any ideas of what could be causing this?

Ahhh Young Jedi...One must understand the ways of the Light Side. Of course, reading the various posts about the Maratac AA helps a great deal also. I just bought the stainless steel model myself and had the same annoying issues you and so many others have had: flickering, rapid mode switching, won't turn off. Why? A tiny piece of metal flake caught in the threads on the inside of the head. The Solution: Clean all threads with 90% Isopropyl alcohol and wipe with a CLOTH, napkins and tissues will leave small bits behind. LOOK inside the head for any tiny bits of metal, metal flakes, or tiny metal strands. A dentist tool or even a razor blade works great for removal these bits. Those tiny metal parts will allow an electrical contact to conduct power to the head and cause the irritating symptoms you mention. You will probably need another another smaller flash light to get this done properly, and being a CPF member means you have several choices nearby
nana.gif

Love my stainless steel Twisty! Now if I could just get 4Sevens to come out with a Mini XM-L in stainless steel!
buttrock.gif

Fooboy

Enlightened
Thanks guys - I will check what you mentioned.

FYI - I use L91s and Nyogel lube.

MashBill

Newly Enlightened
T45,
Thanks for the info. I have a Maratac AA that does not exhibit these problems (fortunately). I will know what to look for now, if it does.

BTW, I lived in Lawrence for 13 years and go there often. It's nice to see a fellow Kansan on here.

Bill

Patriot

Flashaholic
Now if I could just get 4Sevens to come out with a Mini XM-L in stainless steel! [

Ah, you've read my mind! I thought we'd see one by now as the Mini 123 was intro'd rather promptly.

Last edited:

T45

Enlightened
Ah, you've read my mind! I thought we'd see one by now as the Mini 123 was intro'd rather promptly.

I have sent 4Sevens a couple of emails asking if they are going to come out with a Stainless Steel model.....Great guys they are they always answer within a day, but alas....not in the near future. I even asked CountyComm if they would come out with a CR123 version. I received a rather Odd response from them about how they used to sell those batteries and they are "too expensive". Uhhh....what about a FLASH LIGHT?!?!? Sigh.....Still waiting.

T45

Enlightened
T45,
Thanks for the info. I have a Maratac AA that does not exhibit these problems (fortunately). I will know what to look for now, if it does.

BTW, I lived in Lawrence for 13 years and go there often. It's nice to see a fellow Kansan on here.

Bill

CPF! Spanning The Globe!

Reflex439

Newly Enlightened
Helpful advise. I cleaned up my threads and the few issues I had went away. Thanks.

Now if I could just get 4Sevens to come out with a Mini XM-L in stainless steel!
buttrock.gif

Wouldn't that be nice! Titanium, or both!

Razors84

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this thread. My Stainless AAA Maratac would not turn off as well. Thanks to the helpful posters in this thread I found that there was a flake of copper in the head causing the problem! CC offered to correct it if I sent it back, but I wanted to see if there was a known fix before I boxed it up. :thumbsup: