New Inova X1 55/6 lumen version?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newest (2011+) version Inova X1 is supposed to have two brightness levels, 55 and 6 lumens. I have had each of the older generations, but just learned about this variant.

Has anyone actually seen or tried this dual mode version X1? A local bricks and mortar electronics store has the new multimode T1 and other models, but alas no new X1.

The Inova Light web site lists the runtimes as 1h45m and 40h at the 55 and 6 lumen levels respectively.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the multi-mode T-series lights but I was unaware that they were offering a 2 level X1 with that much of an increase in output.Kind of curious myself.............:popcorn:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the multi-mode T-series lights but I was unaware that they were offering a 2 level X1 with that much of an increase in output.Kind of curious myself.............:popcorn:

Just as surprising is the new multimode 31/6 lumen Inova X5. At 17.5/85 hours, it appears Inova is making the new X5 a runtime king instead of boosting brightness. I'll keep my brighter 55 lumen X5s for now.

carrot

Flashaholic
Just as surprising is the new multimode 31/6 lumen Inova X5. At 17.5/85 hours, it appears Inova is making the new X5 a runtime king instead of boosting brightness. I'll keep my brighter 55 lumen X5s for now.
Wow! Now I am surprised. I am pretty sure the old X5 has not a single bit of silicon in it but this is a clear departure from the tried and true. Still, the new X5 might make for a decent emergency light.

GreySave

Enlightened
Ah, but the new two level X5 and others are nice additions if you are in "survival" mode......I have one of the older X5s and a couple of second generation X1s and find these tempting pending reviews. Then again, I would probably agree with you given that the older X5 and X1 weres direct driven and I like that simplicity in SHTF lights.

carrot

Flashaholic
Ah, but the new two level X5 and others are nice additions if you are in "survival" mode......I have one of the older X5s and a couple of second generation X1s and find these tempting pending reviews. Then again, I would probably agree with you given that the older X5 and X1 weres direct driven and I like that simplicity in SHTF lights.
On the other hand, the 1st generation KX2/E2L runs longer than the direct-driven X5, with higher output to boot. Sigh...

radu1976

Enlightened
They changed all the X-Series , like they did with the T-series .
I can't wait trying a new 200-lumens XO3 , hopefully it will have a decent throw for its size this time .
After they pulled out TIROS , all the XO3s were pathetics in term of throw being floody lights .
Probably they put XP-Es in the X-Series .

Illum

Flashaholic

This is good news, the 5th generation? :thinking: X5s earlier had issues about premature failures likely to have originated from overcurrent.

On the other hand, the 1st generation KX2/E2L runs longer than the direct-driven X5, with higher output to boot. Sigh...

1st Generation KX2s are getting rare from being a discontinued light, I wouldn't use them as hurricane lights unless you are confident that it won't walk away without you knowing. Usually anything that makes light in a blackout setting tends to obey the Law of Inanimate Motion.

Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
I hope they show up at Target stores.Where I got most of my Inova lights.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, they put XPGs in the T series for sure. I have the newest T4; it a really good light.

The X5 has been plagued with quality issues because Inova set the drive current to the leds too high. It was fine for shorter runs, but if you wanted to capitalize on long runtimes, heat caused leds to fail. It seems Inova/Nite Ize has reduced current in exchange for efficiency. Considering the 5mm leds being used, I think it's a good call to make this a reasonable output, long runtime light. Hopefully they updated the 5mm leds to a nicer beam/tint model.

The X1 seems to have moved from it's half watt led to something better to get that kind of lumens boost? Looking forward to finding out. The X2 was using a SSC (which produced a beautiful, flawless beam) but at 80 lumens output. Wonder what the new led is...

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

The X5 too?! :huh: I actually like the numbers they are giving as I always regard the X5 to be a back-up to more powerful 2XCR123 lights.My X5s are older and I don't think they are near 55 lumens anyway but they have been reliable so far.I wonder if this new X5 will still work with depleted CR123s? Thanks for posting this info I will be looking for the new lights now :D .If these lights turn out to be as good as advertised I have some interest.Would be nice if they end up in B&M store like Target as it is hard to find good lights unless you shop online.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
... The X5 has been plagued with quality issues because Inova set the drive current to the leds too high. It was fine for shorter runs, but if you wanted to capitalize on long runtimes, heat caused leds to fail. It seems Inova/Nite Ize has reduced current in exchange for efficiency. ...

I returned three of the 55 lumen X5s because each had an LED fail within a month of purchase. I still have two 55 lumen X5s which keep on working OK. See earlier thead from autumn 2009.

radu1976

Enlightened
The X2 was using a SSC (which produced a beautiful, flawless beam) but at 80 lumens output. Wonder what the new led is...

I have contacted NITE IZE via email and a rep. already told me that the X-series will have XP-Es and the distributors/dealers have already started to order them .
But there are discrepancies between the models - runtime , output , range -

For example those lights are rated like that :

- T3 - 178 lumens on MAX , 4.5hrs and 180m range
- XO3 - 200 lumens on MAX, 3hrs and 194m range
- T5 - 200 lumens on MAX, 4hrs and 120m range ?!

Something is wrong , all the times T3 and T5 used to be more powerful or at least the same with the XO3 - when they used TIROS T3 was pretty much the same like XO3 while the T5 was throwier - and now those seems to throw less !? Impossible , especially for the T5 which has a larger and deeper reflector . And it's not driven less hard according to the runtime . I think we can't go 'ad literam' with those specs.
If XO3 will throw 150m , that will be well enough for me . I hope it runs in regulation for at least 2 hrs - like the older TIROS XO3 -

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope they show up at Target stores.Where I got most of my Inova lights.

Most of my Inovas were purchased locally, too. You can order Inova lights directly from the NiteIze web site, but it's less expensive and more convenient to return lights locally if you lose the tint lottery or the light fails early (like 3 of my X5s).

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a new, 55/6 lumen X1 directly from Nite Ize (Inova) and it arrived today.

Comparing it with my 25 lumen X1, the new X1 is considerably brighter, has a larger hot spot, and a warmer tint. High and low brightness levels are selected by successive pushes (or tailcap twists). High brightness is the first mode, which is what I need.

I powered both using Energizer lithium primary batteries.

The two versions have an identical physical appearance except for the slightly smaller LED emitter in the new 55/6 lumen light. Both employ orange peel reflectors.

The name INOVA is imprinted on the rubber switch boot of both flashlights.

Will have to wait until dark to perform further testing.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are more observations about the new, 55/6 lumen Inova X1.

Current consumption from an Energizer lithium primary battery:

Code:
840 mA at 55 lumen setting
132 mA at  6 lumen setting

My older 25 lumen X1 drew 515 mA from the same battery.

Runtime test using a freshly charged 2000 mAH (nominal) Duracell low self discharge NiMH battery:

at 2h 20m: The new X1's brightness has decreased to the level of a 25 lumen X1. It dimmed quickly after this.

at 2h 30m: The X1's brightness is now the same on both high and low settings.

The flashlight remained cool to the touch during the runtime test.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the information. I'm liking the idea of this new X1 for giving to family members.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait to see one in person.

What does the package look like, exactly?

A photo of the new X1 package is here.

More info and photos are here on the NiteIze web site.

I forgot to mention another distinguishing feature of the new X1. A manufacturing date code is printed inside the battery tube. My X1 is marked PA0311.

I am not usually sensitive to PWM, but I notice some slight PWM flickering on the 6 lumen setting.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet. I'll definitely grab one if/when I see one at Target.

I stopped in at the two closest Targets and they still had the Gen 2 X1s... with the Nichia CS LED and the reflector.