Help me replace my LD10

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I had this for over month it's still pretty new and is my current EDC. Well, i love it and all but i want more throw. I run my LD10 on 14505 batteries and it still does not appear as bright or have as much throw as my energizer lithium 2XAA which to me has a perfect balance of throw and flood buts its a little too big so I'm searching for my soulmate light. Also the flood and throw still appears brighter on my energizer then my LD10 side by side compared even with my 14505.

I love the size and shape as well as looks of the LD10 but I'd like more throw.

What is the next best option. I researched too and have come to some possible lights. The sunwayman V10A and maybe the BC10(cant use 14500 and i dont know about 14505). They both have OP reflectors though.

The L1A i don't think is as bright also the shape for EDC bugs me a tiny bit. Not interested in the Zebralight series. I think I am asking for to much. The LD10 is perfect for me in size, shape and looks just needs more throw.

What do you think guys? I wish they made a Neutron 1XAA XM-L Throw light.
Can you somehow get a custom reflector to focus the light more?

Thanks for any help CPF member you guys have been much help. Very much appreciated.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
You have two things working against you. The small form factor means its harder to get alot of throw and the fact that while Xp-G and XM-L are more efficient, they just don't throw as far as the older XR-E. I would be looking for lights with an XR-E. They may not have as much overall output, but they are likey to throw farther if that is what you are after.

The old ITP SA1 R2 version outthrows the LD10, but not by a lot. I have no idea if the new R5 version increases the output enough to overcome the floodier signature of the XP-G. I haven't found any test results of anything throwing farther in a 1xaa form factor. You prety much have to go larger or go to a cr123a form. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I haven't found any test. If you buy the turbo head, the Lumapower x2 will outthrow it, but then you have a rather large head on a 1xaa body and I don't think you want that.

Edit: Just to add that the LD10 already outhrows the Sunwayman and the Jetbeam BA10 (the BC10 is the cr123a model so I'm guessing that's what you mean) so neither of these lights are going to help with what you want.

Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Yeah you're right I meant the BA10. It's just, the reflector on my Energizer Lithium 2XAA is small and shallow. Yet it THROWS. It's narrower then my LD10, not deeper either. Yet it throws. I wish I could stick that reflector in the LD10. Anyways thanks for the help very much appreciated. I am going to keep my LD10 for now or consider a L1A.

mrpink

Newly Enlightened
the LD10 is actually one of the better[if not the best] throwers out there for 1Xaa

Deal4

Enlightened
Hey Animalmother,
Just thought I would mention that I just got the L1A from Lumintop and it does throw pretty good. The only problem is that high doesn't work on mine. I got one of the L1A that doesn't have strobe or SOS, but all it will do is low, and medium twice. I have contacted the place that I bought it, so I guess we'll see what happens.
I really like the light, just wish high would work.
Just thought I would let you know my experience.
Shad

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I wish I could compare it the L1A with the LD10. It's pretty bright on 14505s but not a drastically huge difference from the Eneloops. I stopped by my light testing place Sutro Baths, it's very dark there and a good palce to put them to the test. On 14505s in not impressive it's decent throw. My goal was to find a single AA that can beat my 110ANSI Lm Energizer Lithium 2XAA on throw but the Enegergizer still wins in the throw department by far and even the flood department.

I am thinking now if I should give the L1A a chance, stick some 14505 in it and see how much the throw is. The L1A is rated OTF or Emitter?

Latest posts