Single AA LED flashlight

stan.forums

Newly Enlightened
i am searching for a single AA led flashlight. I like the feature set of the nitecore PD 11.2, but i am worried about the build quality. I currently own an arc aaa and use that as the meter with which i judge build quality. any suggestions

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
i am searching for a single AA led flashlight. I like the feature set of the nitecore PD 11.2, but i am worried about the build quality. I currently own an arc aaa and use that as the meter with which i judge build quality. any suggestions

:welcome:

I've been searching for a feature-laden single AA flashlight with a high build quality myself. So far, I think the only thing I have found that would come close to an Arc AAA in terms of build quality would be something like a Peak LED Solutions El-Capitan. They aren't exactly feature rich, though.

There seems to be a strong following on some of the Zebralights, notably the SC51. It seems to be one of the more efficient single AA flashlights on the market right now, and it has reasonably high build quality for the price. I don't consider it to be Arc AAA build quality, however.

stan.forums

Newly Enlightened
in addition to wanting a good build quality, i mostly use the light for close up work, cooking, rummaging around in a tent, so it is important to have a nice long run time on a low power setting

stan.forums

Newly Enlightened
it would be nice to have the UI from the sunwayman and the performance of the zebralight sc51f. I also like to have a reversible pocket clip so i can clip the light onto my hat

Last edited:

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
in addition to wanting a good build quality, i mostly use the light for close up work, cooking, rummaging around in a tent, so it is important to have a nice long run time on a low power setting

I wish I could help more. I know some have had a good experience with dropping a QTC pill into a Peak. I haven't recieved my QTC pills yet to try it myself. That seems like the only way to get a really low low and the build quality you are looking for, at least that I am aware of.

I think going to a CR123 based light would open up the possibilities, like an HDS systems light. I can understand sticking with AA, though.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite AA light and my EDC is the Quark AA R5 with the "Regular" UI, but the "Tactical" UI is nice too. The regular UI is the type of UI where you cycle through the settings (head tight - max then strobe; head loose - moonlight, low, med, high, sos, then beacon.) I like this UI because it is a one-handed operation, and I leave it on head-loose most of the time. The tactical UI is good too and better for someone (like my wife) who prefers even more simplicity - high and low only. The tactical UI is programable meaning you program the two settings (head tight & head loose.) You have all the outputs levels to choose from - moonlight, low, med, high, max, strobe, sos, and beacon. But only two of these can be programmed into the light - one in the head tight position and one in the head loose position. Because of this UI you can turn the light on & off & on & off without cycling through any settings plus you get a forward clicky with this light allowing a "momentary on" feature.

What I like most about these lights is their versitility. The Quark AA can run on alkalines, lithiums, NiMh rechargeables, and my favorite a rechargeable Li-ion 14500 which bumps up the max output to 200 lumens with great runtimes...nice. Also, the head & tail can lego with the Quark AA2, Quark 123, and the Quark AA2 Turbo...great system. Because of the lego-ability you can change the light somewhat to suit your needs by buying accessories. I bought the "deep carry" pocket clip and a tactical tail for my Quark AA regular, and prefer the light this way. Another thing, the Quark AA is smaller & lighter than most lights (except zebralights) because 4sevens values small & lightweight (you can see this quality in most of their lights.)

The build quality is excellent, the customer service at 4sevens is an industry leader, and they remain on the cutting edge of technology with their lights. Check it out - ClickHere

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
i looked at the peak site - led solutions - not very much information there

Yeah, unfortunately their website is garbage. It is best to visit their subforum on CPF here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?64-Peak-LED-Solutions

Check out the sticky at the top especially: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?212589-Peak-Led-Solutions-Product-Lineup

Their official dealer is RMSK who carries many of their line. (Phone Peak directly for any custom work): http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Peak.html

Hope this helps.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Sounds like you are interested in a few key qualities for this light: 1) small, 2) durable, and 3) versatile.

Several of the lights mentioned here are excellent choices, but there are always trade-offs.

Quark MiNi AA minimizes size, Peak El Capitan maximizes durability, while JetBEAM rrt-0 maximizes versatility.

Hope that helps....

Lightman2

Enlightened
My two cents worth after reading so much on AA lights would be the aforementioned Zebra SC51 with 200 lumens on 1 x AA alkaline, lithium or NiMH and heaps of intensity levels as well as being able to tail stand or the 47's range with the Mini AA Quark or standard Quark AA with lego ability.

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
If your checking out the SC51 then also have a look at the H51, it's a really versatile little right angle light!

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
My suggestions - Zebralight SC51, DST TLR Ti, Sunwayman V10A or M10A, Jetbeam RRT-0, and Fenix LD10. I love them all!

Jackasper

Enlightened
Check out the Lumapower Trust Model 1. Wonderful light, great size and you can run any AA including 14500 which really makes for a nice beam with a good balance between flood and throw. I love mine!

Deal4

Enlightened
With the SC51, Zebralight has another very happy customer with me! Love it!

traderdell

Newly Enlightened
I'll jump in on the SC51. I like it a lot! I bought one a few months ago and sold it before giving myself a chance to appreciate the UI. I like it so much I ordered another (came today) so if/when I lose the first I'll have a replacement.