Alternatives to Quark AA

Nico01

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

I'm fairly new to 'serious' flashlights, having only owned a couple of Mag-light 2AA (most of which are probably lost deep underneath a theater stage somewhere) and a few bargain-bin models before. I've decided its high time I start EDC-ing something a little more versatile than a Minimag, and so after a lot of research, I've landed on the Quark AA as a fairly likely candidate.

I was wondering though if I wouldn't be better served by another similar light, and so thats where I was hoping to get some advice. For me, the most important factor is the interface; so many lights seem to have needlessly confusing interfaces. I want to be able to go straight on in both a high mode and a low mode, and have access to maybe one or two more interim modes. I could care less about SOS/strobe/flashing War and Peace in morse. The light needs to be AA, probably 1AA, but I'd consider 2AA if its not too long and theres a good reason to get it. Quality pocket clip is a must; this is going to live in my back pocket 18 hours a day, therefore slimness is also desirable.

Sorry for the exceedingly long post, so to summarize for those who don't want to read my monologue:

Things I want:
- 1AA, will consider 2AA
- Easy (instant preferably) access to a low and a high mode.
- Good pocket clip (one that I can remove to bend back if stretched out is good)
- Fairly slim body
- Comes from a company with good track record for reliability/good warranty
- Cost of around $50, maybe up to $75 if the light is worth the extra dough
- Fairly durable; I don't need bombproof, but its going to be carried and used 18 hours a day, every day.
- Bike mountable would be cool, in case my bike headlight conks out on me.

Things I don't care about too much:
- Most lumens/longest runtime (as long as its comparable)
- Forward clicky switch
- Beam quality (although I wouldn't mind an OP reflector)

I hope I'm not asking for too much here, I just find that its hard to determine the ease of the user interface from most reviews, and since thats really my main concern, I'm hoping I'll get a good response here.

BTW, I'm not averse to buying used, this is gonna be a user, so if you happen to be selling, let's talk...

-Nico

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Zebralight SC51 is a good alternative single AA light.

If you do go with Quark, the tactical models are going to make it much easier to get to the modes you actually want.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a huge Quark fan, so I'd first recommend the Quark AA "Tactical" UI for you, but since your title is "Alternatives to Quark AA" I'd recommend you take a look at these:

- Zebralight SC51 - best UI in the flashlight world and 200 lumens on an eneloop NiMh rechargeable.
- Fenix LD10 - same UI as the Quark regular (cycle through each output)
- Thrunite Neutron 1A (flood light) - I tested out the 2A and this light is very floody, but on a 14500 Li-ion rechargeable the Neutron 1A is the brightest of the bunch.
- Quark mini AA - twisty switch, not that bright but small.

Last edited:

Nico01

Newly Enlightened
I've looked at the AA Tactical, but I feel like the light will make it difficult to reach the modes I haven't programmed. Whether this will be important in practice, I'm not sure. In addition, the exposed tail-switch might be more likely to be activated in my pocket (although it might be stiff enough not to).

I really like the Fenix TA style of bezel-selected modes, but it seems those are only available for C123 batteries.

The Fenix LD10 seemed like practically the same light, but the clip seemed like more of an afterthought than on the Quark, but perhaps appearances deceive here and the clip is strong and works well.

The zebralight is interesting; I sort of dismissed it at first glance, but it's definitely deserving of a more thorough investigation, especially if I can get over the lack of a tailcap switch.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the LD10 is the only one with direct access to high or low
(depending on how the head is set to body. Which is possible to be done before clicking the light ON),
and has reverse klicky

PS: tailcap switch adds almost 50 % length to the light, I like the shortness of my Quark AA

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked at the AA Tactical, but I feel like the light will make it difficult to reach the modes I haven't programmed. Whether this will be important in practice, I'm not sure. In addition, the exposed tail-switch might be more likely to be activated in my pocket (although it might be stiff enough not to).

I really like the Fenix TA style of bezel-selected modes, but it seems those are only available for C123 batteries.

The Fenix LD10 seemed like practically the same light, but the clip seemed like more of an afterthought than on the Quark, but perhaps appearances deceive here and the clip is strong and works well.

The zebralight is interesting; I sort of dismissed it at first glance, but it's definitely deserving of a more thorough investigation, especially if I can get over the lack of a tailcap switch.

1) The tactical UI in the quark AA does make it a little annoying when you want to get to one of the unprogrammed output levels. It takes 20 seconds to reprogram it (4 quick twists, then the light blinks, then you select output, wait 10 seconds for it to confirm setting by blinking.)

2) I EDC the Quark AA regular UI in my pocket and no matter if I'm using the tactical tail or regular tail or even one of the turbo tails - it has never once gotten accidently switched on in my pocket. This is the reason I switched from my old edc to this light a few months ago.

3) The fenix LD10 is a good light, but the quark design is better...and the quark clip is much better especially if you purchase (seperately) the "deep carry" pocket clip.

4) The zebralight sc51 is a great light. I had one, gave it away, and have now ordered a H51. I used to edc my SC30 (one cr123) and sometimes my sc60 (one 18650.) These lights are similar to the sc51. The UI is IMO the best around. Here's how it works: From off - quick click = high, double click = medium, and slow click = low......or you can just hold the button down and it will cycle through each setting. From on - if you double click the light in high for instance there is a secondary high. Same thing in med and in low, so there are 2 highs, 2 mediums, and 2 lows.....very cool, very useful, and very intuitive once you've done it a couple of times. This is the only light I know of that you can get to either high, medium, or low from the off position. The only drawback to this light is it can easily get switched on in your pocket if you don't carry it in the locked out position (turn the tail 1/8 of a turn.) I stopped EDCing these lights because I got tired of having to lock it & unlock it with every use, but because of the awesome UI they get the most use around the house & on camping trips.

The quark AA R5 regular UI with a deep carry pocket clip running on a 14500 comes out of my pocket ready to use every time.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite 1a is good, the Nitecore D11.2 would also be a good choice and the deep pocket carry clip is excellent.
I like Quark but I suggest splurging on the deep pocket carry clip and go regular ui
I have a zebralight on the way, but haven't got to play with it yet.
Fenix LD10 only comes with a smooth reflector unless you find older stock. The clips are solid, the body style is based on the pd30 but it's the little brother to the Ld20.
My first quality light was the Fenix LD20 with the Q5 emitter. Great lights, simple ui

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
ive got a quark aa2 tactical, a zebralight sc51,and a nitecore EZaa, I like the quark the best. I find the Zebralight to be a little annoying sometimes if you dont click the sequence just right. You have more options with quick access with the zebra, but how many options does someone really need? I find that moonlight and max suit me just fine for the quark and the clicky is stiff enough that it wont activate in your pocket. AA2 will give you really good runtime, but the it might be a tad long for pocket carry comfortable. I would suggest the AA Tactical. I doubt you would be disappointed (especially in comparison to what you have now!)

mwb01

Newly Enlightened

The Sunwayman M10A is a 1xAA light with a rotator ring and 4 modes, it's around $70 though. I hear it's very nice. Alternatively you could get the V10A which can select any level of brightness from 1 to 140 lumens with its rotating ring.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite 1a is good, the Nitecore D11.2 would also be a good choice and the deep pocket carry clip is excellent.

Where can I find this pocket clip for D11.2? :duh2:
AFAIK, a clip is available for EX11.2 only.

Lightman2

Enlightened
Zebra SC51 as it has 200 lumens on 1 x AA which is impressive indeed, head mount accessory and can access hi and low a in second depnding on how you operate the switch.

Nico01

Newly Enlightened
So in the end I went with the Quark, regular not tactical (I figure I'd probably program it to max and moonlight (or maybe low) anyways). I got a good deal on one used for a little over $30, so that kind of made it a no-brainer.

Eventually I might upgrade to a Sunwayman V10A, or whatever theyre making then, but that won't be for a while.

Thanks for the opinions and for helping me confirm that the Quark is the right light to get. Now comes the waiting till it arrives...

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
I would vote for the Thrunite neutron 1a. Very simple interface similar to the fenix but with mode memory for the non max modes. With bezel loosened it will always stay in low if you want it and then you can tighten the bezel and the max is right there. Much brighter than the quark as well. Got to love the stainless steel bezel and sapphire crystal as well if you ever end up dropping it head first.

Latest posts