ROP Low in a Mag 5 C

elseis66

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if you can run an ROP Low lamp with 5 NIZN AA cells or will that voltage be too high. 5 NIZN cells would be 8v and 6 Eneloops are 7.2v right? Also does anybody know if there is a way to convert a maglite lamp holder to hold a bi-pin surefire 6p/9p type of lamp?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I'm not sure what you mean specifically by 'bi-pin', but 5C with IMR 26500 is perfect for reckless lumens (over 10k) with one of the big Osram bulbs.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I was wondering if you can run an ROP Low lamp with 5 NIZN AA cells or will that voltage be too high. 5 NIZN cells would be 8v and 6 Eneloops are 7.2v right?
I don't know how the NiZn cell voltage holds up under significant loads, but you will find this chart very useful for the 3854-L. (From this thread).

There are many posts which indicate that the 3854-L is a very robust bulb, so if you're unsure, give it a try.

Edit: But, why NiZn unless you absolutely have to? I know that specific combo might provide the best voltage match for what you're trying to do, but from what I've read, these cells had a rather poor longevity record. I'd much rather build a Mag 2D ROP w/ 6x Eneloops & FM's 6xAA holder, or a build w/ 6x 1/2D NiMH's in a 3-4D Mag (unsure of the exact length of host required for those cells though).

Another option would be sub-C NiMH's for your Mag 5C, I'll bet you could get 6 of them in your 5C easily, with considerably more usable capacity than 5x NiZN.

Last edited:

elseis66

Newly Enlightened
I alread have Mg 2D ROP with a 6XAA holder and love it. I am basically just looking to build another bright mag with a nice beam. It does not have to be ultra bright nut I am just looking to have a nice beam without all the artifacts and holes found in stock maglites. Also I want to stay with AA to kep it as light as possible. I would prefere to use eneloops but was not sure if they could provide enough voltage. Will an orange peel reflector from kaidomain.com fix the beam issue and allow me to just run say a 4 cell lamp on 5 eneloops or does someone have another bulb option. I have seen a stock 6D mag and am not impressed with them at all. My 4 C maglight running stock 4 cell lamp and energizer lithiums is much better. I would like a light that is a little brighter than mag 4 C and with a nicer beam. I know it seems like a waste to mess with these maglites but I just prefer them over the 123 flashllights mainly because I just really dig big old american metal flashlights and also because I like AA primaries and AA NIMHs. I might be willing to tr the sub C route but don't know anything about the chargers for the or even where to get them.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
The Surefire 6P bulbs are bi-pins I guess, but they are assembled in to modules with a built in reflector, and with the bulb pins soldered to contact springs. ;)

In other words, as they come from Surefire, you'll not actually come across a 6P bi-pin bulb, but there are certainly bi-pin bulbs that you can use in a Maglite with an appropriate adapter/bulb holder.

Fivemega sells suitable adapters for both G4 and G5.3 bi-pin bulbs.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?284623-G4-Bi-Pin-PR-Sockets-By-FiveMega-(6th-Run)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mm-Ceramic-socket-for-MR11-Reflectorized-Bulb

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
So can anybody tell me if a 3854 will run on anly 5 eneloops?

yea, sure it will, it is made for 6v, we ovedrive it with 6cells, o 2 li ion to make it brighter. but it will work just fine off 5 eneloops.

elseis66

Newly Enlightened
I feel very lucky, I just scored it a few weeks ago on ebay for $24.00 bucks shipped! Now all I need is a 6C and a 7C and ai am assuming that will take a couple of years as I never see them come up for sale. I tried the ROP low with 5 eneloops and it ran really nice but I only have 8 eneloops and I had to scavenge some from my 2d - 6aa ROP to try it out so in the mean time I am running 5 panasonic aa alkalines and a 4 cell lamp and it is pretty bright as well. I plan to order a reflector and glass lens from kadomain I just can't decide whether I want the OP or the smooth reflector.