VARIABLE POWER LED FLASHLIGHT

acroreef

Newly Enlightened
Dear Folks:

I do some CSI work for a police department and I'm looking for a flashlight that has the capability to vary the light brightness. (I have an old 20x Streamlight that has a Malkoff drop in for larger/brighter applications). I need something to search for fingerprints that can be reduced in brightness to view ridge detail and assist with photographing the impression.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a relaible variable brightness LED, try an HDS or the Surefire U2. The U2's can be had on the Market Place for about $150. 6 settings, and a glass lens thats easy to clean (as well as "domed" for greater strength, much like an egg).

mwb01

Newly Enlightened
most nice or even mid-range LED lights have multiple modes now, including some very low lows. Some lights even have an "infinitely variable" control ring. Are there any other requirements that would narrow it down a little?

acroreef

Newly Enlightened
As a follow up... are there any products that I could use to put over my lens on the old Streamlight to diffuse the light? Multiple levels of diffuser material to dim the light to suit the circumstances and make the light more even??

Thanks again for your assistance.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Surefire makes the F04 beam shaper that does an incredible job. Put it on a HDS, and you have a winner! FWIW, the EagleTac T20C2 comes with a screw on diffuser lens,(the SS bezel just screws off, and the diffuser takes it's place) that also does a beautiful job! I love mine. You could put DC-fix diffusion film on your streamlight, but that wouldn't be a practical solution, using multiple layers to dim the light. Check out the HDS lights, or the Nitecore Infilux series, or the Sunwayman V10R. The Nitecore and SWM both offer an "infinitely variable" control ring to vary output from rediculously low, to max brightness, just with a turn of the control ring. Very nice! An application of DC-fix diffusion film might make you the "perfect" light for your needs.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon Proton Pro, either with white/red led, or white/uv led. Both leds offer ramping and are controlled with a single switch. If the second led won't be useful your money would be better spent on a newer light.

Nitecore D11.2/EX11.2 would be another option. Ramping is controlled with the PD switch, though it can dim a bit too fast for my liking (at least it did in the D11 version).

I don't think you could go wrong with mrlysle's recommendations (Nitecore Infilux, Sunwayman V10R).. or you may even want to look at the Jetbeam RRT-0. Each offer a control ring that, unlike using a switch to control the ramp, you can pick the exact level you like with ease.

chaoss

Enlightened
I will go ahead and add to the above postings.
The Nitecore EX11.2 & Sunwayman V10R (titanium+aluminum?) have great ramping brightness features that enable the user to choose from a very low-low to very bright beam.
The RA clicky is also a great option and the Surefire F04 beam diffuser will pop right on it.