Possible AAA mod platform??

Zman

Enlightened
Was surfing through one of my favorite sights when I came across these
Cheap AAA flashlights
Last item on page one... Metal, switch on the back and Cheap! One would have to buy more stuff to meet the minimum $10 order and to offset shipping. Modders...what do you think? Anyone interested in buying a few to make it worthwhile? I might help with or run a group buy...

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip. It might be worth a try. But I'm skeptical. At less than a buck a piece, I suspect that the switch may not have good endurance. Let's hope someone here has already checked this light out.

Paul

jhereg

Enlightened
Sears sells a AAA flashlight that looks almost exactly the same. I think the flashlight was $3 for one at Sears. I know that is more than what is listed on the website, but if you want Qty 1 to play with it is a decent price.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep,looks like the Craftsman 1AAA Tool Light ($3). I've got one that I've put a white 5mm LED in. Its driven by an A23 12v alarm keypad battery with a homemade battery spacer/resistor to take up the slack. The spacer consists of a piece of PVC tube (that I picked up at a hobby shop) that I cut to the appropriate length, inserted a 1/4 watt resistor (150-220 ohm, depending on spec or overdrive) and capped with two sheet metal screws. The reflector is then drilled to accommodate the LED and the leads of the LED are then shortened and thinned to be able to be inserted in the stock socket (be sure to check polarity, first). Its a down and dirty mod and I use the light all the time. I hope this helps.

Dan