If/When this happens (Quark AA Turbo, XML, Warm), what will be the output?

AusKipper

Enlightened
I see 4Sevens has updated the Quark 123 Turbo (my current EDC) with an XML and now its making 450 lm, so i'm thinking of buying it, but, I really like my warm tinted lights, and i'm thinking of making my EDC fully AA/AAA powered, thus meaning i need to switch to the AA Turbo for my primary light.

If I switch to a AA Turbo at the moment it means I have to take a hit in output (230lm vs 190) but i'm just wondering if I put the XML head on the AA body what would happen? and also, does anyone know if/when cree will be making a warm XML equivalent? and if/when 4Sevens will stick it in a light?

* Summary *
Ok the above is a bit all over the place, in short:

Can I put the Turbo X head on the AA body? and if so what will my output be?
Will there be an XML neutral/warm coming out?
If so, do you think 4Sevens will be upgrading their turbo models with it?
And if so, do you think all that will happen in the next 6-12 months?

Sorry for all the questions, but I know how you guys love answering them :p

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark 123² Turbo X uses a 3.0V~9.0V head. It's buck circuit design prefers 4V+ for optimum performance.
2AA NiMH batteries is 2.4V nominal 2.7V max.
Won't work too good.
-
The neutral/warm tint XMLs are out.
http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1023
Cool 8,300 – 5,000°K 260 lm, 280 lm @700mA
Neutral 5,000 – 3,700°K 240 lm, 260 lm @700mA
Warm 3,700 – 2,600°K 200 lm, 220 lm @700mA
Just scale down for 2*123. 2*AA will be less.
For a 2700°K (60W light bulb) tint 450*200/280=321 lumens.
5000°K is still paper white. For a neutral 4000°K-4500°K 450*240/280=386 lumens.
EDIT
2AA runs at 700 mA. 2*123 runs at 990 mA.
For a 2700°K (60W light bulb) tint 321*700/990=227 lumens.
For a neutral 4000°K-4500°K 386*700/990=272 lumens.
/EDIT
-
4sevens have used both NEUTRAL and WARMS tints in the past. Do you mean incandescent WARMS or NEUTRAL (often referred as warm by other manufacturers).

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you'd need to run a 14500 or two to run the turboX head. There are Lego pics in the marketplace of the different body styles on it. In a thread about the turboX

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Turbo X, and LOVE IT. I have lego-ed it onto my AA body, 123 body, and AA2 body. In the AA body you have to use a Li-ion 14500. In the 123 body you have to use a CR123 or a RCR123 Li-ion. In the AA2 you have to use two 14500. It also works on the (now discontinued) 18650 body. The output is the same with all of the above configurations. Here the link to the thread on the marketplace with the turbo x lego-ed with these bodies (page 3 & page 7) - ClickHere

I talked to Joseph at 4sevens two days ago about neutral tints. He said to his knowledge they have no plans (near-term) of releasing neutral or warm tint models.

Xak

Enlightened
I talked to Joseph at 4sevens two days ago about neutral tints. He said to his knowledge they have no plans (near-term) of releasing neutral or warm tint models.

That's too bad. I was holding out for a QAA neutral or warm XM-L to replace my lost QAA R2. Guess I'll have to go with Thrunight Neutron 1AA.

AusKipper

Enlightened
The Quark 123² Turbo X uses a 3.0V~9.0V head. It's buck circuit design prefers 4V+ for optimum performance.
2AA NiMH batteries is 2.4V nominal 2.7V max.
Won't work too good.
-
The neutral/warm tint XMLs are out.
http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1023
Cool 8,300 – 5,000°K 260 lm, 280 lm @700mA
Neutral 5,000 – 3,700°K 240 lm, 260 lm @700mA
Warm 3,700 – 2,600°K 200 lm, 220 lm @700mA
Just scale down for 2*123. 2*AA will be less.
For a 2700°K (60W light bulb) tint 450*200/280=321 lumens.
5000°K is still paper white. For a neutral 4000°K-4500°K 450*240/280=386 lumens.
EDIT
2AA runs at 700 mA. 2*123 runs at 990 mA.
For a 2700°K (60W light bulb) tint 321*700/990=227 lumens.
For a neutral 4000°K-4500°K 386*700/990=272 lumens.
/EDIT
-
4sevens have used both NEUTRAL and WARMS tints in the past. Do you mean incandescent WARMS or NEUTRAL (often referred as warm by other manufacturers).

Thanks for your informative post :)

I think I mean the "Neutral" tint, not warm, whatever my Fenix TK20, Quark RGB-NW put out.

I'm glad to hear there is warm/neutral XML's out, I think i'll just hold out till someone puts one in a 2xAA flashlight for me (preferably 4sevens or Fenix) and see what the output is, if its more than 250lm OTF ANSI then i'll get it and replace my current EDC, untill then i'll stick with my regular turbo :)

AusKipper

Enlightened
I have the Turbo X, and LOVE IT. I have lego-ed it onto my AA body, 123 body, and AA2 body. In the AA body you have to use a Li-ion 14500. In the 123 body you have to use a CR123 or a RCR123 Li-ion. In the AA2 you have to use two 14500. It also works on the (now discontinued) 18650 body. The output is the same with all of the above configurations. Here the link to the thread on the marketplace with the turbo x lego-ed with these bodies (page 3 & page 7) - ClickHere

What happens when you put it on the AA body and use NIMH's, does it fail to turn on? if it does turn on is it any brighter at all than the XPG vesion?

AusKipper

Enlightened
So you'd need to run a 14500 or two to run the turboX head. There are Lego pics in the marketplace of the different body styles on it. In a thread about the turboX

I dont really want to get into 14500's, i'm already trying to phase out my CR123's and move everything into AA and AAA (I have a fancy Maha charger for AA and AAA now, and plenty of eneloops).

Sooner or later a warm XML will find its way into a AA torch I like i'm sure :)

Xak

Enlightened
I dont really want to get into 14500's, i'm already trying to phase out my CR123's and move everything into AA and AAA (I have a fancy Maha charger for AA and AAA now, and plenty of eneloops).

Sooner or later a warm XML will find its way into a AA torch I like i'm sure :)

The beauty of 14500 is if you lose power and can't recharge batteries your light can still use the ever plentiful AA. So enjoy the lumens from the 14500 while you can recharge it and have a stock pile of AA for it and other things as a backup.

AusKipper

Enlightened
yes, but it would mean buying a new charger, and more batteries, and i'm just not that rich at the moment :p

If the power goes out I have both solar battery chargers, and a stockpile of Lithiums :) (brought back in the day when i was richer :p )

SixM

Newly Enlightened
That's too bad. I was holding out for a QAA neutral or warm XM-L to replace my lost QAA R2. Guess I'll have to go with Thrunight Neutron 1AA.

That's what I'm looking at doing also. I guessing and hoping that the XML neutral and warms should get twice the output of the XPG. I've read 450 lumens with the Thrunite Neutrons running Li-ion rechargeables, vs what, 250 or so lumens with the Xpg?
I guess it depends on how each one is driven though.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
2*CR123A/RCR123A can put 2-3A into the LED without much difficulty.
A designer of AA flashlights have to allow a sizable number of their customers use alkaline or worse carbon zinc batteries so will design their lights to run at a lower level. Some will double up on the batteries like the Fenix TK40,41,45 to ensure they will work with the crappiest battery available.
I do not see any mass manufacturer design a 2AA light that will run on Eneloops only. So I do not see any uber-bright 2AA light especially in the dimmer neutral tint. The best will probably be an XM-L upgrade for the LD40 but at 185mm (Length)*43mm (Diameter) is not exactly pocketable.

Xak

Enlightened
I was really hoping to find a 1AA neutral neutron, but it says (Going Gear) they are out of stock. Anyone know if they will get more, if there are other sources, or if these neutral XM-Ls will be around for some time? What about warm XM-Ls? Any of those out there?

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was really hoping to find a 1AA neutral neutron, but it says (Going Gear) they are out of stock. Anyone know if they will get more, if there are other sources, or if these neutral XM-Ls will be around for some time? What about warm XM-Ls? Any of those out there?
I believe Going Gear was the only dealer to offer the neutral neutrons. Over on the marketplace Marshall said he would inquire about getting more, but that there was no guarantee that Thrunite would make more available.

PCS

Newly Enlightened
I believe Going Gear was the only dealer to offer the neutral neutrons. Over on the marketplace Marshall said he would inquire about getting more, but that there was no guarantee that Thrunite would make more available.
It appeared Going Gear had just ten of each Neutron neutral model. The 1C and 1A sold out very quickly. I believe the 2A sold out within the week. (They still list nine of the 2C, which is almost certainly suffering for its reputation of having visible PWM on some modes.)

One would hope this "limited run" of neutrals wasn't limited to ten. I have my fingers crossed.

Xak

Enlightened
Is there a CPF coupon code for Going Gear? Need all the help I can get.

Xak

Enlightened
Why won't my password for the marketplace work? Is it a different website? I always got passwords from CPF. Is it CPF2006?

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why won't my password for the marketplace work? Is it a different website? I always got passwords from CPF. Is it CPF2006?
Yes, it is a separate web site so you will need to register there too. See the ATTN: NEW MEMBERS!! thread for details. Once you have registered & made the required couple of posts, you will be able to see the Good Deals forum.

If they wanted the discount codes posted here, there wouldn't be a special place for them over there.
Hope you understand,
treek

Xak

Enlightened
Ugggh. Just seams silly to me. I don't buy many lights so I don't go to the marketplace. Why would you want me trolling there when I can't afford custom lights and don't know too much about them? I do buy them here and there though, and like to get a good price when I do. Why someone would not want to share their coupon with the CPF is beyond me. The whole idea is to get people to buy, right? Whatever. I'll think about it.