Would anyone else here buy a Mag-lite LED Solitaire?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it too small to be done in the exact same body or something? They've long since updated standard & mini mags, while their most perfect form remains potential unrealized: super thin 1aaa tube, tighten head to close, tailstands, one level on & off. Even if it were an underpowered & inefficient emitter by today's standards, it would still be miles better than it is now, & a must buy for me. Just get an LED in there & i submit it will do well even at 5x the price of their $4.xx incan version.

sO LEt's GO Mag-Lite!:whoopin:

Ah well. At least in the meantime, someone is getting close over in the marketplace.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I would definitely buy one. I was just thinking about this the other day. I had just purchased the XL50, and I can honestly say, I LOVE this light. It has tremendous throw, and the new Rebel LED is very nice, tint and all. If they came out with a LED Solitaire, I would definitely buy one, since I would assume that they would be pretty inexpensive or right around the price of an e01.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO there are already a number of very good to excellent light in this size.
But I'm sure if Mag made it the general public would buy it.
How about? Tektite LT-3™ is suitable for your Solitaire® Maglite
Norm

Never knew they came out with this Norm...
I wonder if Maglite ever came out with an LED version of the Solitaire, would it be less expensive than the Solitaire plus this upgrade LED.... hmm...

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wouldn't even be too picky about its efficiency- which obviously won't be that great even per the seller's own description & beamshot comparison to the incan- but just reading reviews, I'm having trouble finding anyone who even recommends one (outside of on the site that's selling them). most common complaint is fit, threads not operating the same, &/or just not working. Otherwise I wouldn't be too worried about cost, & would definitely pay more for a complete factory package from mag-lite vs. any drop-in.

Either way, thanks for pointing this option out Norm. I didn't know about it either.

Norm said:
IMHO there are already a number of very good to excellent lights in this size.
Yeah, just not too many with this user interface, much less that also tailstand. Understandable since most here prioritize programmability, multiple clicks/twists/modes/strobes, & having the latest & greatest emitters in a pocket light vs. any of the advantages i value in something like this.

ah well the DQG-ii looks like the closest thing we'll get to it anytime soon.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not purchase an LED version Solitaire unless it was brighter than the SMJLED drop-in which used to be popular on CPF. Beyond that, the variable focus feature, as implemented by Maglite (with donut hole), would make such a light unattractive.

DaveG

Enlightened
Yes, I would definitely buy one. I was just thinking about this the other day. I had just purchased the XL50, and I can honestly say, I LOVE this light. It has tremendous throw, and the new Rebel LED is very nice, tint and all. If they came out with a LED Solitaire, I would definitely buy one, since I would assume that they would be pretty inexpensive or right around the price of an e01.

Yes,what is taking them so long to roll a led model out? I also like my XL-50,feels good in your hand,rear switch ease of operation a plus.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
I'd buy one if they just put a Nichia GS in one, it would be a nice improvement, and worth $5 IMO.

Ishango

Enlightened
I did an upgrade on my Solitaire with a 11 lumen LED from the same guys that made the Fusion 36 drop-in. Easy drop-in and works great. My E01 still has stronger output and better runtime, but the Solitaire is much more useful now.

But if Maglite would release a Solitaire LED version I would definitely try it. I also still like the Maglite XL100, besides having better lights in my collection.

Nico01

Newly Enlightened
Seeing as I've been thinking lately about dropping a red LED into mine, I'd be interested.

At the same time though, Fenix, Arc, Peak, etc. already fill that niche well, the only advantage I could see Maglite having is a low price (although the fenix E01 is only 15 bucks) and the brand recognition to sell it in large quantities (through traditional brick and mortar retailers).

OCD

Enlightened
If it was $10 or less and 10 lumens or more, I'd get one. ;)

I think these would be good "gift" lights for several reasons:
1.) Available almost anywhere...no need to order online
2.) Probably available in various colors for those "trendy" types
3.) Brand recognition - almost everyone knows the Maglite brand.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Probably not-the tips are just unbelievably smaller, and don't have the "focus" feature, besides owning anything mag puts out for output.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes,what is taking them so long to roll a led model out? I also like my XL-50,feels good in your hand,rear switch ease of operation a plus.

I just like the quality that Maglite offers, for the price they sell their products for. American made, and very sleek. The XL50 out throws alot of my Quarks since you can focus the beam. The low mode is definitely not low, but I have other lights for that anyways. I was playing around with mine outside the other day, and that beam is pretty sharp! I could get a clear view of the trees and what is lurking in the distance. For $30, it was a good buy. Only thing I don't get is... when I put it in my front jeans pocket... why do the ladies wink at me? Hmm.... haha

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't even be too picky about its efficiency- which obviously won't be that great even per the seller's own description & beamshot comparison to the incan- but just reading reviews, I'm having trouble finding anyone who even recommends one (outside of on the site that's selling them). most common complaint is fit, threads not operating the same, &/or just not working. Otherwise I wouldn't be too worried about cost, & would definitely pay more for a complete factory package from mag-lite vs. any drop-in.

I just got my upgrade LED in the mail today, and I was not aware of the gap it creates. It is really no big deal. The light still looks sharp. i was wondering if anyone has altered the reflector and shortened the base to resolve this issue. I wonder if it affects the beam pattern...

nbp

Flashaholic
Basically what you are all describing is the E01. Single mode, nichia GS, long runtime, tailstand ability, 1xAAA, very durable, low price. If you guys haven't tried one, do it. They are great lights. (Except you, Cano, yours is in the mail to me. ;) )

gladis

Newly Enlightened
I would, but it'd either have to have a nicer LED than the E01 (no ugly purple spot) and/or be less well constructed (maybe on par with the solitaire) and be sold for ~$10, or have the same build quality but a high powered LED (ie like the E05) but with 2 modes, a 1-2 lumen long runtime mode, and a 40-50 lumen high mode for ~$20