2D Mag Mod w/ SST-90 - a few questions

ptolemy

Enlightened
I wanted to see if this could be done. A 2D mag mod with sst-90, using 2 x D li-ion cells. I wanted to have low voltage protection and multimode.

I was curious about how hard can it be driven with just 2 quality cells. The ones I am considering are rated at 10amps and are over 6000mah. Ideally, Maybe 3-5 modes with high maxing out the led and lower modes for everyday use.

I also wanted to see if a better reflector is available something deeper with great hot spot.

Finally, of course, is anyone doing something like this that I could speak to?

Thanks in advance:)

Eddie-M

Newly Enlightened
I made a 2D mag using the luxeon/rebel magLED model with the deeper reflector. I used a derWichtel driver + heatsink and a Fivemega 2D-6AA adapter.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-mag-with-SST-90-Build-(Many-Beam-Shots-Added)

The stock deep reflector is great, I highly recommend it.

DerWichtel is working on the multimode version of his 9A SST-90 buck driver last I checked, I can't wait for it. It might be down your alley when he completes it. Not sure what you would do about low voltage protection though.

The only problem with my setup is that my LED drops out of regulation too soon but I think with two Li-ion you would be better off than I am currently. I have since made an alternate head with an aspheric lens for when I feel like changing heads on the fly.

Good luck!

ptolemy

Enlightened
Just out of interest, what 32600/32650 Li-ion cells are you using? Are they protected? Thanks.

Hi,
I haven't gotten them yet but I heard very good things about them. They are not protected though, hence why I wanted protection on the light.

If you want a link, pm me :)