E2- #MN03 LA Question?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's seems silly but even though I've had an E2 for over a year now, I never realized there was a #MN03 60 lumen LA for it. I have to admit that the 25 lumen #MN02 is a great lamp and has a really nice throw. I was wondering if you E2 owners feel the #MN03 LA was worth the extra expense?

logical

Newly Enlightened
I thought the MN03, 60 lumen was standard OE on the E@ and E2e???

LLLean

Enlightened
if you've had the E2 for over a year, the LA you have been using must have been the MN03 (60 lum). The standard LA that comes with the E2(e) is the mn03. The MN02 (25-30lumens) only came out like 6-7 months ago, if i'm not mistaken.

i used both the mn02 and mn03. i'm VERY impressed by the mn02. it's only slightly less bright than the mn03 (smaller beam) but it's rated for 2.5 hours!!

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Absolutely! I am, however, somewhat confused by your comment on the E2 MN02 LA. I could be wrong in this but I'm not sure that that LA was released that long ago.

Regardless, I have both LAs and the MN03 is what makes the E2 series the smallest light with the most power. With that said, I am a huge fan of the MN02 because of the throw and light color however, I think the KL1 could replace it.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
The MN02 (LOLA) is only standard on the newly released E2O (Outdoorsman). On the E2E, the MN03 (HOLA) is standard. If you have an E2E, you definately need the MN02. It's only slighter dimmer (less throw), but lasts 2.5 hours.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies gents. Boy, talk about confusing though! This E2 must have been one of those "slipped through the cracks" numbers. It's an older one because the clip is attached to the head assy. and it has the bright shiney silver color. I know I bought it well over a year ago. I still have the original box and everything that came with it was in the box, and I have not purchased any extra anything for this E2. This thing came with THREE LA's! The MNO1, MNO2 AND an MNO3. And get this, inside the instruction leaflet, it says; "The MN01 lamp produces 15 lumens of light, the MNO2 produces 60 lumens of light and the MNO3 PRODUCES 25 LUMENS OF LIGHT! I thought the MNO2 produced 25 and the MNO3 produced 60? I'm reading the leaflet as I type this and it says so right here! The MN LA's are unmarked but color coded and the one I've been using all this time has the "ivory" colored collar and the leaflet says the ivory color LA is the MNO2 and as stated above, produces 60 lumens. Like I said earlier, CONFUSING! One last thing, is a Pyrex lens available for the E2? I think they come standard with them now but this doesn't have Pyrex.

logical

Newly Enlightened
gene- your first post said you never knew there was an MN03 available for the E2 and asked if it was worth buying.....and then your last post said your E2 came with an MNO3 along with two other heads....what gives?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well logical, because I'm a dummy and never read the little instructional leaflet that came with the E2 until I dug it out this morning. After I received the E2 I just installed the batteries and used the thing. It's funny how much you can learn by just reading the manual. I had read a couple days ago about the MNO3 60 lumen LA and didn't realize until I posted this thread that I already had one! Well, if you don't ask silly questions, you never learn. Still, the leaflet and the LA's are confusing!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Gene:
....One last thing, is a Pyrex lens available for the E2? I think they come standard with them now but this doesn't have Pyrex.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Gene,

The E2 has a Lexan lens, and the E2e has a Pyrex lens. A Pyrex lens may be available for the E2 bezel, though I'm not sure about that.

Personally, I prefer the clip on the E2 to that on the E2e. I also find it interesting that no one has noticed or commented on the distinctive difference between the original E2 reflector and the more recent one that became available around the time of the E2e's introduction, or a little before. That reflector is now standard on all e2 versions.

I agree that the MN02 is an excellent lamp. However, my run tests (outdoors-hiking) show it to have approx a 2.25hr practical runtime. Also, though I admire the design of this lamp, I find it distinctly dimmer than the MN03, which is itself noticeably dimmer than the standard Surefire P60 lamps, though that may be influenced by the reflectors

Brightnorm

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm,
Thanks so much for the great info! I had no idea that the E2 and E2e had different reflectors. Are you stating that the newer ones are a better design or the older ones? I tend to agree with you from what I've seen in photos concerning the clip. The old style like mine just seems to be a flatter, cleaner design. As far as a lanyard attachment, I just drilled a hole in mine, near the top and added a small split ring.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Gene:
Brightnorm,
Thanks so much for the great info! I had no idea that the E2 and E2e had different reflectors. Are you stating that the newer ones are a better design or the older ones? I tend to agree with you from what I've seen in photos concerning the clip. The old style like mine just seems to be a flatter, cleaner design. As far as a lanyard attachment, I just drilled a hole in mine, near the top and added a small split ring.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Gene,

The "newer" E2 series reflector simply focuses the beam a bit more tightly so that it throws better and further. It is standard on all the E2, E2e, etc. models. I doubt that you could even find one with the "old" reflector.

The reason for the quotation marks is that I have never seen or heard any reference whatsoever on CPF to the fact of different reflectors. I questioned my own observations until I closely studied both the beams and the reflectors themselves, and exchanged bulbs to be absolutely sure and reconfirmed that they are indeed different animals.

Brightnorm