Four Newbie Selections To Cover Most Needs

SomeOneWho

Newly Enlightened
Turns out I was a closet flashaholic and didn't realize it until I discovered the candlepowerforums about six months ago.

First, I'd like to express my deep appreciation to Selfbuilt and all the other reviewers and posters on this forum and others. You've definitely increased my knowledge, enriched my life, and have helped drain my bank account (wisely, I think, but my wife might disagree).

By way of background, by avocation I install AV systems, and am often confronted with dark situations such as the insides of cabinets, attics, basements, and trying to read the connector labels on the back of equipment. Temperamentally, I don't mind spending top-dollar for a good quality product, but I do extensive research before buying anything. I don't consider myself a "collector" and would prefer to have just one good product in a given category.

My primary objective in the selections below was to cover all of my lighting needs with the least number of high-quality flashlights. I wanted to pass my perspectives on to anyone of similar inclination.

Also, I (now) understand the advantages of alternative battery sources, but have decided to focus exclusively on standard AA/AAA battery models given how readily they're available in my daily use. I always have these available if needed. Thanks to the forums I've discovered Eneloop rechargables and now use these for my flashlights, remotes, and other such items.

Without further ado, these are the four flashlights I've selected and use on a regular basis:

4Sevens Preon Revo (Single AAA)- I know this one is fairly expensive, but I absolutely love it. I *never* go anywhere without it and it's worth every penny to me. It's tiny and I don't even think about it in my pocket. I use all three brightness modes on a regular basis and it's very handy to have all three available -- whether I'm crawling around the back of a cabinet or in a dark attic. It's size and versatility, imo, make it the perfect EDC light. This light alone covers about 80% of my needs. If I lost it I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Fenix E01 (Single AAA) - I got this for free with a knife purchase and didn't think much of it until I got it. It's very solidly built, and has a good balance of output level, runtime, and cost. I keep this in the pocket of my robe and use it a few times a week for nightime meanderings around the house and outside watching the dog. If I didn't have the Preon Revo I'd use it much more. Valued because it's always in my robe pocket, I don't have to think about it, and it's always there. Would make a great low-priced gift for another newbie, glove box, etc. Consider this the cheap, keep-anywhere alternative

Zebralight SC51 (Single AA) - *Excellent* AA light. I bring this to work or play whenever I think I may encounter a dark situation (most every day). I especially appreciate the UI -- any brightness/runtime mode can be selected easily and I use them selectively as needed. Has all the brightness you'd need for most outdoor/attic situations, but goes low/long as well. Fits very easily in my pocket (tail-cap lockout is a must with this light). Surprisingly, the headband accessory works quite well and I've used it several times when I've needed hands-free lighting.

Fenix LD40 (Four AA) - I wanted a more powerful/longer-runtime light for outdoor/overnight situations and this one delivers. It's, of course, much larger and heavier than my other lights, but if I'm going on an overnight trip this comes with me and I know I'll be covered in any situation.

As with any respectable flashaholic I'm not quite 100% satisfied with my selections (maybe only 93%). If/when Zebralight comes out with a 2xAA model I'll snap it up, primarily just to get a longer runtime with the same flexble UI and efficiency. I was very tempted by the Quark 2xAA regular and tactical models, but didn't want to choose between only two easily-used modes or a less intuitive UI for all modes. Also, I'm thinking about a more dedicated and diffusive headlamp but haven't researched enough about what's available.

What are your selections for the least number of good lights to cover all/most situations?

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
Greetings, SomeOneWho :welcome:

My selections:

1) Fenix E01 Handy, very pocketable, simple.

2) iTP A1 EOS Simple UI, has proven to be very reliable, and well made. My main EDC.

3) Fenix LD10 This is my every night flashlight. My SO hits the hay early and I stay up late. It does most everything I need around the house. Like the size. Fed with Eneloops.

No. 4 through ??? Sorry, can't pick just one. My needs start to broaden. Can say a makeup of Surefires; Fenix's; Malkoffs; Quarks. All do their tasks well.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF SomeOneWho. That is a great first post. Seems like you have absorbed a lot of good info and made great choices.

My four:
Nitecore D10 as EDC
EagleTac P10A2 2xAA light for longer runtime and brighter output than single AA lights
Princeton Tec headlamp - any short list of lights should include at least one headlamp: for some tasks hands are to valuable to be used to only hold lights!
Electrolumens EDC. MCE puts out tons of flood.

RonReagan

Newly Enlightened
1) iTP A3 EOS around my neck.
2) Jetbeam RRT-0 as my main light running on a 14500 on my belt.
3) PT Apex for handsfree work, but also have a SF G2X Pro in the truck too.
4) Dereelight DBS V3 R2 with optional aspheric lens for throw.

The RRT-0 cover almost everything I need because of the variable ring and the battery flexability. If one of these failed I have my 6P with M61 drop-in on my BCM M4 or my Fenix T1 to fill in the spot on my rotation.

AaronG

Enlightened
1) stainless steel preon revo on my keys
2) zebra H51F on the headband ( I use this one the most)
3) Fenix LD10 R4
4) Incoming sunwayman V10R ti w/ AA extender

I bought the LD10 first. It's still a great light with a neutral tint and a little more throw than the zebra.

The revo came next and it's so useful just because I always have it when I go out.

The zebra gets the most use by far. As an electrician I spend a lot of time in poorly lit places and I need both hands. If I could change one thing I'd go back and get the H51Fw instead.

I bought the V10R because it's just so cool :D A Ti light with variable control ring and a ton of battery options. What's not to like?