NEW JET BEAM RRT 3 Replacement

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
Good morning all - I heard that JetBeam was coming out with a replacement for the RRT 3 (I also heard it will come with batts and a charger in a plastic case.) - Does anyone have some info on this new light, and Is it going to be as nice as the RRT 3 with a selector ring UI? Will it have more than a 1000 lumens? What kind of runtimes can we expect?

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I'm so anxious for the RRT-3 replacement.. I did notice that all of the other lights in that line have been updated so I assume its next? I LOVE that 3x18650 form factor, it just feels better in the hand. Yet nobody else except for Fivemega makes it... Lots of potential.

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
I read recently that it was all set for release and now I cannot find the thread where I read it, anyway I made a few inquiries and I beleive my comments were deleted! It was mentioned that this will replace the rrt3 and one other light that I cannot remember...

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
RRT-3 will be the same light but will come in a plastic case as kit charger & 3x 18650
Jet III M R5 will be replaced with Jet III M XM-L
New model JETBeam PC25 XM-L 400lm tac/looking
Stoped production on the M1xm, JET-I PRO V3.0, JET-I PRO EX V3.0

cheers

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
RRT-3 will be the same light but will come in a plastic case as kit charger & 3x 18650

So are there any changes at all to the light or the UI as far as the settings are concerned? - I also heard that the rrt 3 was getting a different LED? Maybe brighter, or more battery life?

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
Anyone with info on this? I am thkning of pulling the trigger soon and would hate to have the newer version tempting me after I just spent 300 plus on the current one.....

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would hope they would go to a XM-L for the efficiency. At 2.8-3.0A I've compared to a SST-50 running around 4A and the XM-L competes admirably with less heat, approx the same lumens and more throw from a slightly smaller die. I was right on the edge of pulling the trigger on a RRT-3 but ended up getting the TK35 for almost 1/3 the cost.

oatmanutd

Newly Enlightened
I would hope they would go to a XM-L for the efficiency. At 2.8-3.0A I've compared to a SST-50 running around 4A and the XM-L competes admirably with less heat, approx the same lumens and more throw from a slightly smaller die. I was right on the edge of pulling the trigger on a RRT-3 but ended up getting the TK35 for almost 1/3 the cost.

In Thailand TK35 x 4 = RRT-3 x 1 :eek:

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
I heard that the XML was going to be the selected LED as well - I was also hoping to get more low levels fitted on the UI ring. Maybe 2-3 more low levels - just too much light on the higher levels if you are using it as a GP light as well as your primary....

Patriot

Flashaholic
I would hope they would go to a XM-L for the efficiency. At 2.8-3.0A I've compared to a SST-50 running around 4A and the XM-L competes admirably with less heat, approx the same lumens and more throw from a slightly smaller die.

The XM-L can't produce 1200L at 2.8-3.0A and I can't think of any replacement for the sst-50 @ 5.0A without going to a multi-XM-L array. I don't think Jetbeam will use an array since their track record usually consists of single emitter torches. I think he SST-50 and SST-90 will likely dominate the 800+ lumen category in factory built lights until more capable LEDs supersede them. That's not to say that hot rodders won't be getting some serious performance out of overdriven XM-Ls though.

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
The XM-L can't produce 1200L at 2.8-3.0A and I can't think of any replacement for the sst-50 @ 5.0A without going to a multi-XM-L array. I don't think Jetbeam will use an array since their track record usually consists of single emitter torches. I think he SST-50 and SST-90 will likely dominate the 800+ lumen category in factory built lights until more capable LEDs supersede them. That's not to say that hot rodders won't be getting some serious performance out of overdriven XM-Ls though.

So do you think that the sst-90 is a possibility?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

That may be true, but neither can the SST-50. It needs upwards of 4 Amps to start producing 1200 lumen levels. At that heat level you are losing lumens quickly to heat production and looking at a higher forward voltage, thus even more heat than a XM-L. As Fenix's recent XM-L product show, 800 OTF ANSI lumens is readily possible. And with a slightly smaller die the XM-L is going to throw more pushing more of those lumens into a spot than the SST-50. I don't think there is any need for "hot rodders" as you call them, the XM-L is plenty ready and IMHO is a superior LED (and I only say this after having experimented with both XM-L and SST-50 drop-ins and their replacements to stock lights) in many regards.

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
well that is good news - the RRT 3 wasn't 1000 OTF it is 1000 at the emitter - So maybe we will see some inprovements on this workhorse...

Patriot

Flashaholic
That may be true, but neither can the SST-50. It needs upwards of 4 Amps to start producing 1200 lumen levels. At that heat level you are losing lumens quickly to heat production and looking at a higher forward voltage, thus even more heat than a XM-L. As Fenix's recent XM-L product show, 800 OTF ANSI lumens is readily possible. And with a slightly smaller die the XM-L is going to throw more pushing more of those lumens into a spot than the SST-50. I don't think there is any need for "hot rodders" as you call them, the XM-L is plenty ready and IMHO is a superior LED (and I only say this after having experimented with both XM-L and SST-50 drop-ins and their replacements to stock lights) in many regards.

I don't remember which thread addresses the current specification in the RRT-3, perhaps it was Flavio's sales thread, but it was supposed to be driven at 5A. I believe this was confirmed on at least one occasion either by JB, Flavio or an independent.

With regards to "Hot Rodding" that comment was made specifically to address single lights producing in access of 800L. In other words, 800-2500L. This will require a new LED. I don't think there's any dispute that the XM-L is a "superior LED" with regards to efficiency but according to the manufacturer's own spec sheets, the SST-50 is still capable of higher luminous flux with ideal thermal management.

GMUGNIER
So do you think that the sst-90 is a possibility?

I sure don't. It would have to be heavily regulated like the S12 in order to stay within certain thermal boundaries. Throw would be decreased and batteries would drain more quickly.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I don't remember which thread addresses the current specification in the RRT-3, perhaps it was Flavio's sales thread, but it was supposed to be driven at 5A. I believe this was confirmed on at least one occasion either by JB, Flavio or an independent.

The current RRT-3 uses 16 watt, this makes it very doubtful that it is driven at 5 ampere, probably more like 4 ampere.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks, that's helpful info. Even at 4A, the SST-50 will be upwards of 1100L at the emitter. Also I see that it's 18 watt at 18V.

But you can really use the 18 watt for anything, the brightness is the same as with 16 watt, i.e. the last two watt is only going into heat in the driver.