What's your favorite light in 2011 and why?

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new favorite:

The Quark 123x2 Turbo X. It really is just awesome. It is so small for what it does. It throws incredibly well. It's very bright. And, it legos with all my other quarks. I run it on one 17670 and have lots of RCR123's & a spare 17670 that I can run it on as well. I've been taking it with me running in the mornings, and can see a gazillion miles away with it.....or something like that. Seriously though, I love this thing.

Tuesday we got hit by tornados here in Arkansas (my house was only missed by 1/4 mile.) My wife & kids & I had friends over that ended up trapped at our house until the storm blew over. We lost power around 9:00pm (and it remained off for most of the next 48 hours.) To pass the time (and to be prepared....waaaaay over prepared) I passed out flashlights to everyone. My buddy was blown away by the performance of the Olight M20 R2 I handed him then I showed him how to switch it to high. I handed his wife a Quark R5 on an 18650 body, and she couldn't believe it when she clicked it on. My wife had her Quark AA2 S2 tactical, and just sat there rolling her eyes a little as I explained how each of em worked...(she likes on & off that's it, and probably doesn't realize there's another setting on her quark much less that it's programmable...but I know.) My son had my Zebralight SC60 in his hand plus his LED Lenser H7 headlamp on his head. My oldest daughter had my Zebralight SC30 which is in a Nitecore D10 headband on her head. My babygirl (4) grabbed my fenix LD20 Q5 and her little friend grabbed the fenix LD10 which were traded back & forth all night. Everyone waved em around all through the house & out the doors & windows as the storm raged on. We lit up the whole neighborhood with em at times. In my pockets I had my Quark AA R5 on a 14500 Li-ion, my ITP A3 EOS, and my Quark 123x2 Turbo X. I set out several lights tailstanding as candles throughout the house. After I set up the house I pulled out the Turbo X, and my friend & his wife were gasping at the thing....first thing he said I think was "whoa," and she said "it's so little" (ha.) Well I didn't get the light back for a long while as they passed it back & forth trying to see how far away they could see with it. Later I pulled out my EagleTac M3C4 XM-L...they gawked at it, but hung onto the Turbo X for a while longer....it just has a cool factor that's hard to explain.

Once the storm blew over we walked around the neighborhood a little, lighting up the place in a big way. We saw tons of damage especially around the lake plus lots of houses were messed up. Anyway, we were able to turn a bad thing into a fun night, and my flashaholicalism paid off..........finally.:nana:

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for a good story Outdoorsman5. I've seen the devastation from these tornados on the nightly news. Very tragic for anyone that has been hit by these storms. Glad to see that you avoided most of the damage, and how you turned a bad situation into a positive. BTW so far my favorite light is the Sunwayman V10R. But I'm going to have a look at the Quark Turbo X you mentioned.

Last edited:

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure my 2011 favorite will be the same as my 2010 favorite flashlight - HDS 140 Ex. flush button: Even when I get an interesting new light e.g.Malkoff MD3, E2e with VME. 6P with Cryos bezel, Malkoff VME.2AA Twisty etc. they don't make it into the top spot ,'The right side pocket of the cargoes'.

It's been through a couple of full cycles of wash and dry and comes out nice and clean and works just fine! :thumbsup:

Acid87

Enlightened
My favourite light this year so far is my HDS high CRI. Actually love this light. Also my SF centurion C3 and solar force mpp-1 for throw king.

parboy

Newly Enlightened
The one that goes every where I do is my ET t20c2 mkii with the new H.O. xm-l drop in. It stays attached to my EDC pack, ready for use. On my person I usually carry either an incendio v3+ on rcr123 or trust-1 on 14500.

Hey Outdoorsman5, where in AR are you? I live in Sherwood on Indian head lake. Tornado came close to use as well. Glad you made it through ok. I too made it fine with no damage, and was very gratefull to have my flashaholocism pay off for at least the little bit we were without power :)

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Outdoorsman5, where in AR are you? I live in Sherwood on Indian head lake. Tornado came close to use as well. Glad you made it through ok. I too made it fine with no damage, and was very gratefull to have my flashaholocism pay off for at least the little bit we were without power :)

I'm on the air force base, and the tornado skipped over us & flattened a bunch of houses....displaced 40 families. I saw those houses the next day, and man what a mess. Thankfully no deaths, and the worst injury was only a broken arm......how bout that!!!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current fav: Got a TK35 a few weeks back. Definitely a fine light for outdoors usage. Wonderful throw, great runtime and bright as I really need it to be on Hi. Turbo mode is just gravy on the meatloaf.... ;)

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Sevens Maelstrom S12. Its my first real departure from the P60 format for a high powered light and I hardly feel like it's a departure at all. I've never been one to consider carrying a P60 light as an EDC (I have Clickies, Quarks and Zebralights for that) so they usually end up on my belt, in my pack, or in my hand. For any of those uses the S12 is just as practical, has higher output, longer runtime and I don't have to worry about burning up my LED (or my hand) when running for extended periods on high.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a new favorite:

The Quark 123x2 Turbo X. It really is just awesome. It is so small for what it does. It throws incredibly well. It's very bright. And, it legos with all my other quarks. I run it on one 17670 and have lots of RCR123's & a spare 17670 that I can run it on as well. I've been taking it with me running in the mornings, and can see a gazillion miles away with it.....or something like that. Seriously though, I love this thing.

Tuesday we got hit by tornados here in Arkansas (my house was only missed by 1/4 mile.) My wife & kids & I had friends over that ended up trapped at our house until the storm blew over. We lost power around 9:00pm (and it remained off for most of the next 48 hours.) To pass the time (and to be prepared....waaaaay over prepared) I passed out flashlights to everyone. My buddy was blown away by the performance of the Olight M20 R2 I handed him then I showed him how to switch it to high. I handed his wife a Quark R5 on an 18650 body, and she couldn't believe it when she clicked it on. My wife had her Quark AA2 S2 tactical, and just sat there rolling her eyes a little as I explained how each of em worked...(she likes on & off that's it, and probably doesn't realize there's another setting on her quark much less that it's programmable...but I know.) My son had my Zebralight SC60 in his hand plus his LED Lenser H7 headlamp on his head. My oldest daughter had my Zebralight SC30 which is in a Nitecore D10 headband on her head. My babygirl (4) grabbed my fenix LD20 Q5 and her little friend grabbed the fenix LD10 which were traded back & forth all night. Everyone waved em around all through the house & out the doors & windows as the storm raged on. We lit up the whole neighborhood with em at times. In my pockets I had my Quark AA R5 on a 14500 Li-ion, my ITP A3 EOS, and my Quark 123x2 Turbo X. I set out several lights tailstanding as candles throughout the house. After I set up the house I pulled out the Turbo X, and my friend & his wife were gasping at the thing....first thing he said I think was "whoa," and she said "it's so little" (ha.) Well I didn't get the light back for a long while as they passed it back & forth trying to see how far away they could see with it. Later I pulled out my EagleTac M3C4 XM-L...they gawked at it, but hung onto the Turbo X for a while longer....it just has a cool factor that's hard to explain.

Once the storm blew over we walked around the neighborhood a little, lighting up the place in a big way. We saw tons of damage especially around the lake plus lots of houses were messed up. Anyway, we were able to turn a bad thing into a fun night, and my flashaholicalism paid off..........finally.:nana:

I am glad your family is OK.

Q: What is my favorite light in 2011 and why?

A: My Zebralight H51w.

Why? Because it's so small and versatile that it can be used as flashlight, headlamp, desk lamp, neck lamp, shirt light, overhead light, belt light, etc. And unlike most headlamps, it can be carried in my pocket with the headband attachment. Because of its small size and versatility, it can be carried and used anywhere and anytime.

At around 3'' long wrapped in the headband, it can slip easily inside a shirt pocket.
IMG_6430.jpg

Its uses are many:

as flashlight.
IMG_6393.jpg

As headlamp.
IMG_6407.jpg

As hat light.
IMG_6258.jpg

As neck lamp (my favorite use of this light).
IMG_6281aa.jpg

As overhead light.
IMG_6165.jpg

As shirt light.
IMG_6113.jpg

Carrying it is easy. A headlamp that can be carried inside a shirt pocket like small flashlight.
IMG_6288.jpg

This light has my back covered for just about every situation I need a light for.

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
Probably my Zebralight H51 as the light is just insanely versatile followed closely by my newly acquired HDS rotary 200 flush button do to it's ability to be both a programmable clicky light and have the rotary control option.

lovemylexicon

Newly Enlightened
Parboy:

What is the color tint of your xm-l drop in on your Eagletac T20C2 MK ii?

Is it pretty white with no green tint?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Rotary because it is, by far, the best EDC light in the world.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
All this waiting on the new HDS stuff has been a blessing and a revelation for me. Been enjoying the heck out of my new warm Haiku and Malkoff M61W. Easily my favorite purchases in ANY year! I say a blessing because I was and still am a loyal Ra/HDS user but while waiting for the new models like any flashaholic, I got the "itch" and decided to see what all the fuss was about over one of Don's most popular creations and try out Gene's wonderfully built powerhouses. A revelation because WOW neither has disappointed!

Last edited:

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight CL1H V4 with XM-L 3 level pill and OP reflector. I used the 3-CR123 short extension. What I have is an EDC sized light with a low level light for walking at night, a medium for when you need a lot more light and a high with a ridiculous amount of light. The only potential drawback is that the high is limited to probably 10 minutes by heat build up. Still, you do not usually use your EDC as a searchlight. For a limited time you have it if you need it.

aehaas

oatmanutd

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK35 is the best flashlight I bought so far this year lightweight very bright worth every penny

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite light is the Fenix TK45. If I had a TK41 that would probably be my favorite though!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice story indeed Outdoorsman5! Pays to have lots of lights at home for emergencies like that! I'm really covinced to get one Turbo X soon. I saw its backorder now in 4 Sevens... awww...

youre lucky your wife didnt ask: why do you have these many lights? how much are these? then she goes the extra mile by googling the prices! hahahha you'd be a dead outdoorsman5? heheh

Thanks for sharing!

ROCK ON FLASHAHOLICS!

al93535

Newly Enlightened
Currently my favorite Edc is the HDS clicky 170 executive! Glad I waited until I did. I just got interested in trying one of harrys lights a few weeks ago. I was able to order it and have it shipped the next day. Then read about how everyone had been waiting soooo long!! Another reason I am happy to have waited is the awesome new pocket clip design!

My previous Edc was a quark AA on a 14500. No light purchase knocked the quark of it's pirch until I got the HDS clicky!

DaveyJones

Newly Enlightened
im looking to replace both of my edc lights (leatherman serac s1 and olight t-10).
the lights that tickle my fancy more then any other lights atm are:

Jetbeam Jet-1 Pro V3.0
Zebralight h501
Zebralight h51

and

4sevens Preon 1/2 (having doubts about this one due to reports of problems with the tailcap, and i specifically liked it for the clicky)
fenix ld01

of all of these, the Zebralight H51 (either regular or warm) has the biggest 'must have' power.

also i been looking for an ideal gift light, for this the itp a3 is my favorite.
gonna buy a bunch of them for gifting to unenlightened friends and family.