Small Business software suggestions

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I'm sure I could find reviews all over the web, but I'd rather ask here as I know a little about you.
Basic needs, enter sales, enter checks, log expenses in several catagories.
My family owns a small grocery type store and bakery. So far money in and out is COD, I don't anticipate a change in that. We have sold a few gift certificates. "Employees" are myself, wife and children so no payroll to speak of.
Please feel free to ask for details and offer suggestions that will help. TIA

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Hi Wits' End,

I ran my electrical contracting business for about 8+ years using MoneyCounts, then switched to Quicken (IIRC they bought the original MoneyCounts).

Originally started off with manual bookkeeping due to cost constraints, and as the business grew had to go to software to keep up.

I was able to keep records to the penny for various jobs, supply houses, payroll for 7, payables and recievables. It was a bit of a task initially as I had to develop "workarounds" as the software in the late 80's & early 90's did not have anywhere near the capability that the current software does (not even counting the better PC's).

If I was doing it all over again, I'd start off with one of the various flavors of Quicken & skip the manual style.

A couple of hard earned pearls of wisdom...

Buy a UPS for your PC, do not tie the printer into it.

Get a decent Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor >check out www.omegapoweraps.com & look at their Powermax plugin TVSS outlet strips. They have a commercial and residental models available, I went commercial. This company also sells great breaker panel mounted TVSS equipment. Disclaimer: No, I do not have any vested interest in this company, I've bought from them for about 10 years. They are honest, reliable and good to do business with. Located in Boca Raton FL. 800-934-9354, Frank owns the company, you'll likely speak with Wanda in the office.

Make backups on a regular basis, Quicken had an autoback up feature. Still, make floppy disk and/or CDROM back ups on a religous basis. The one time you don't...ooo boy, Mr. Murphy will come calling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since you probably already have an accounting method in place, DEFINITELY run both methods side by side for a month or two to ensure that you have captured all of your accounting needs.

HTH

Regards,
Lighthouse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

kubolaw

Enlightened
My wife uses PeachTree Accounting in her dental office, mainly for payroll. However, it does seem to be pretty well suited for retail operations (sales of goods), so it might fit your needs. It was a little intimidating at first, due to the range of options available (and also due to the fact that I have no accounting background), but it's pretty straightforward overall. Staples often has PeachTree available for free after rebate, so if you don't need it right away, that might be something to keep an eye out for.

John

PS Totally agree with Lighthouse's recommendations of frequent backups and a UPS on the PC running your accounting s/w.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input I was off-line my laptop was fixed-hinge replaced. However when it was being put together the modem didn't get plugged in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .
Dell will be back on Tuesday only a week for next day service.
I'd like something that was more intuitive than read the 1-2" thick manual. Is quick books better in this area than Peach Tree?

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Hmmm...can't really speak for Peachtree (although a brother used it for his business and I recall seeing a pretty thick manual for it. This was about 8 years ago though).

Quicken was pretty intuitive and had decent help functions. Still a cruise through the manuals is a good thing. They were notably thinner than Peachtree's.

Lighthouse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

ps Welcome Back!

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok modem is back, there are two Dell service guys that cover my area. One has a wife in the hospital so I don't have a problem being patient. Well not much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .
Stopped and checked Quick Books 2003 pro.
Looks like more than I need, price was in the $220 range more than I'd like to spend but not more than I could spend if needed.
The Payroll functions are not needed and probably never will be. Does anyone know if there are less broad programs available?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get academic discounts on software, many times at substantial savings. For example Quickbooks Pro 2003 can be had for $99.95 at the University of Washington book store.

UW academic software

If you know any college students, teachers or any school staff they could check their schools for this.

Mike

mekki

Newly Enlightened
I just picled up Retail ICE to use as the POS in our new shop - you can find it for $20 on eBay! And that includes free FedEx shipping!

The company that makes it sells it to promote their multi-store software. They figure that once you've invested a bunch of time learning their (incredibly robust) single store software package, you'll have no choice but to spring for their more expensive stuff when expansion comes. Neat business model.

I've been running it for a few weeks and am thrilled! The learning curve is fairly steep, and the depth is staggering, but the features are more than worth the learning time.

mekki

Newly Enlightened
We sell electric bikes and other urban transportation stuff (as well as misc. parts, service, etc...)

I use Retail Ice for inventory management, customer management, and for all the neato stuff (best sellers, worst sellers, etc...) The accounting stuff isn't really my dept, so...

For $20, you really can't go wrong!

PS - Honestly, I don't work for these guys or anything, just happy to share the great find /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif