Springs

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
I have some very old CMG Infinity flashlights that are plagued by poor contact. Tightening the head all the way down still leaves me with a flashlight that won't light. I have put a small wad of tin foil in the bottom and the light then turns on. The foil quickly loses it resiliency after a few twists on and off. Back to darkness!

I see two possible solutions: A brass shim or a light spring - the latter being my preference. A spring such as the one at the bottom of my Quark Mini 123 seems about right (it can almost compress completely flat) and I have to assume the Quark Mini AA has just the right spring. 4sevens does not sell their springs so I am looking for a source for such a spring. Does anyone know of a source that they can share?

I also welcome other possible solutions.

TIA

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
This thread may be helpful.

For a lower cost solution, one of the Asian bargain dealers selling flashlight parts with free shipping may have something acceptable, even if it's actually a switch and you have to harvest the spring. Caveat Emptor.

Similar strategy with a suitable domestic dealer may be more satisfying.

- Syncytial.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a small transparent box full of springs harvested from discarded flashlights, SureFire bulbs, and other such devices. I've done that for years. Now, when I need a spring, I probably already have it. No need to shop around.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
You can get assorted packs of springs from home depot and lowe's and probably others, I have no idea what their electrical resistances might be, but it could be useful. I bought some a while back when I was suping up my kids' nerf gun. BAM!

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
I can't find my Infinity to check (and it's driving me crazy!) But IIRC- they worked like the Arc AAA's do and require the head to raise & break contact w/the battery to turn off. If so, a spring would mean you wouldn't be able to turn the light off. There's a thread started about how the different twisty switches work. No answers yet, but when they come you should find better information.

BTW- if I'm remembering correctly, you should just keep mashing aluminium foil in the bottom of the tube until you've built up enough the light works reliably.