Best light for Graduation Presents

Dadof6

Enlightened
It's coming to that time of the year where some of the local kids are graduating from high school. I try to give a good flashlight to the kids who are graduating and am wonddering what you guys would recommend. I'm thinking AA battery type becuase most of these kids won't have any other type. Last year I bought Maratacs and I believe they were successful.

Tell me what you think I should buy this year.

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
I second the Zebralight, And my little brother is graduating want to move to Canada? haha!
It's nice that people go so far outta their way to give to others .
Best wishes to you!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it depends on price range. If you're looking for something along the lines of the Maratacs, maybe an ITP, or one of the 2 mode Lumintop lights that have been released recently. You could go the geek factor route and get them Nextorches. One of the vendors in the MP has a great sale going on now.

For gifting to adults, I would have recommended the Quark MiniAA, but not for teenagers who lose things easily.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bud Light !

:cool:
_

I felt a little vomit accumulate at the back of my throat when I read that... Anything but Bud Light!!!

Seriously though... a Graduation present? Get a HDS EDC Rotary...

I wouldn't even consider a Zebralight...

njet212

Enlightened
There are several aa flashligt to choose:

Jetbeam E3S
Xeno E03
Xeno cube xml (if you could grab it at the cpfmp)

scout24

Flashaholic
I just got my Son a Sunwayman V10A, after he borrowed mine a couple times. Personally, I'd stay away from anything with a strobe, since lack of judgement+strobe can = angry people. I loaned a Quark AA to a new guy in my shop, he didn't make a day with it. Second time he strobed someone goofing around, I took it back. :scowl: My bad for thinking he was a bit more mature at 20...

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
If the Maratac AAs were successful last time I don't see any reason not to give them again. They are a nicer, simple, robust light. Maybe the polished SS version which looks classy, is strong, and is easier to find in the dark ?

If the budget can cope I'd include a 4 pack of lithiulm primary batteries as well, to encourage them not to put alkalines in them.

I'm always wary of giving lights with more complex UIs to non-flashaholics, and sometimes a more expensive (less budget) light is really wasted on some people.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I think a nice AAA keyring light might fit the bill here. Those small AA lights might end up lost, but if it's on their keyring, there's a good chance they'll hang on to it.

Depending on budget...... the ITP A3 Upgraded (3 level) Stainless Steel:
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=282

or possibly the Preon Revo SS:
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info...=2578&osCsid=43ad8b4ae2dd48fde625d8a36be69385

Both nice looking lights that also have a fair amount of Wow factor.

herosemblem

Enlightened
The child is guaranteed to not appreciate the light as much as you, and is guaranteed to lose it. Guess what young children do on weekends and holidays? Drink...and lose things.

Just make sure the light isn't terribly expensive.
I have given gifts with the best of intentions before, only to later realize that the recipient didn't appreciate the gift's usefulness nearly as much as I did. Of course they are grateful, but not as grateful as you would be if you received said gift.

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
I second the ITP suggestion - very similar to Maratec, cost less, AA or AAA format for neophyte flashlight owners. I've given away about 20 lights over the past 3 years to graduates, 4Sevens CR2 (a whole bunch of these!), 4Sevens minis, Eagletac P100A, and ITP A series. It seems like the most successful gift has been the ITP as I've seen those lights again getting used by the graduates. Plus I think they are the most light for the price.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore EZAA would make a good gift. It's not too expensive and the simple UI should be more to everyones liking. (The old version - not the R5 version with the new overcomplicated UI)

Dadof6

Enlightened
Good ideas so far. I'm looking at spending in the 20- 40 dollar range. I'm probably going to be buying from 5-10 of whatever light i choose. The ITPs do look promising.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had excellent experience gifting the ITP AAA light. Even after 2 years, most of the lights I've given have remained on their owner's keychain.

I think that the AA might be too large for keychain duty for a non-flashaholic, but otherwise it's a fine light.

--flatline

Dadof6

Enlightened
I'm not looking for a keychaing light, actually, I'd like to stay away from a keychaing light. Is the ITPAA a keychain light?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not looking for a keychaing light, actually, I'd like to stay away from a keychaing light. Is the ITPAA a keychain light?

Ah, well then the ITP A2 (their AA model) is probably fine for what you want since it is too large to be a good keychain light.

--flatline