Polarion PH-40 battery disassembly?

maverick

Enlightened
Hi guys, I have a PH-40 that I bought about 4 years ago. Anyway, the battery seems to be slowly dying now and I found some other people on CPF saying that it is not too hard to open up and replace the 8x18650 li-ions inside. But I've so far been unable to find any photos or instructions describing how to actually do this. So anyone done it? Is it actually feasible? Will the charging/discharging protection still function normally if the old cells were replaced with higher capacity cells?

Thanks in advance!

Patriot

Flashaholic
I believe CPF member Lips did this once, but I could be wrong.

Yes, Lips replaced with with some high quality cells but I think it's best done with a battery welder. The copper tabs need to be securely fused to the pos. and neg. of each of the 8 cells. I only know of one person on CPF that owns one.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two battery packs for my PH50 are dying. I'm kinda interested to see what can be done with them.

In the meantime I'll buy new ones from Ken.

Last edited:

maverick

Enlightened
Yes, Lips replaced with with some high quality cells but I think it's best done with a battery welder. The copper tabs need to be securely fused to the pos. and neg. of each of the 8 cells. I only know of one person on CPF that owns one.

I thought so, and I was wanting to get one for a few other projects anyway. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux Luthor rebuilt two packs with Sanyo cells. He did it a little different than the stock way with a custom shrink wrap pack inside. I'll have the photos I'll post of his work. The packs will pop apart easily. Jellydonut has a pack now he did and I believe it got 1 hour 41 min on new pack with 2600 mah cells.

Old packs
IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

DM51

Flashaholic
Very interesting thread! I have an old pack that is down to holding ~80% charge, so I'd like to have a go at putting in some new cells.

What are those beige-colored cells - 4S2P 17670s?

Also, how do you open up the casing? I don't want to damage it... :eek:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me they look like they're snap-shut. Maybe carefully use some kind of thin tool (maybe a pocket knife?) to get one of them started, then work your way up?

NOTE: I haven't tried this, so I wouldn't advise doing it! This is purely speculation!

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
The packs come apart easy and go back together easy. You may have to put a piece of electrical tape on it after opening but no big deal. It will go back together without loosing parts!

The beige are LG brand 4s2p 18650. Polarion changed battery types they used (I think first LG then Sanyo) The packs use unprotected cells and the electronics inside take care of rest... I used 2600 mah Sanyo off ebay for rebuild. I think there may be some quality unprotected 3000mah out there now ( Saw BVH got some somewhere).

There is no protection circuit on the 18650 battery so no worry about messing that up when connecting tabs. I have no idea the safest way to do this so that's why Lux took care of it! I probably have 60 pictures of all this somewhere...

I believe stock batts have 2200mah so going with 3000mah is a really big bump in runtime...

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've got a dead pack myself and would be interested in having either Lux Luthor or Jelly donut built a pack. I wouldn't mind sending money in advance in case some cpfer wants to order the cells, build the packs and throw in some labor. I'd rather spend the money on premium cells instead of another 4400mah stock battery. I wish that we could just buy a 5800mah pack from Polarion but they still haven't updated their cells. Anyone paying attention to cell capacity in the last two years knows that we've got some legitimate, reliable options that will far outperform a stock pack.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel the same way as Patriot. If anyone is willing to do a pack for me I'd also be willing to pony up some cash.

jellydonut

Enlightened
I've got a dead pack myself and would be interested in having either Lux Luthor or Jelly donut built a pack. I wouldn't mind sending money in advance in case some cpfer wants to order the cells, build the packs and throw in some labor. I'd rather spend the money on premium cells instead of another 4400mah stock battery. I wish that we could just buy a 5800mah pack from Polarion but they still haven't updated their cells. Anyone paying attention to cell capacity in the last two years knows that we've got some legitimate, reliable options that will far outperform a stock pack.
Hello,

The reason I have the pack is because I bought the light from Lips, and it already had a pack built by LuxLuthor with Sanyo 2600mAh cells. I'd love to mod battery packs but seeing as I've never even opened one I'm not gonna start doing that. :p

maverick

Enlightened
Thanks to everyone who's provided info so far. Perhaps I'm just being naive, but the mod doesn't seem too hard at all. Since I haven't paid much attention to rechargeable li-ion cells lately, what's the highest capacity un-protected cell that's made by one of the large manufacturers? It seems like all you would need to do is buy suitable batteries equipped with solder tabs and then away you go....

DM51

Flashaholic
The packs come apart easy and go back together easy.

Is it glued so you have to cut it, or what? The seam is clearly visible all the way along, but I've tried prying it apart and it seems very stubborn. I don't want to break it.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Is it glued so you have to cut it, or what? The seam is clearly visible all the way along, but I've tried prying it apart and it seems very stubborn. I don't want to break it.

DM, there appears to be five mechanical locking tabs along each side of the battery. It looks like those have to be pried open. I'm going to give mine a try now...

Patriot

Flashaholic
DM, there appears to be five mechanical locking tabs along each side of the battery. It looks like those have to be pried open. I'm going to give mine a try now...

That didn't work. I think if I use a large set of snap ring pliers and pop the clam shell open from the contact end of the battery that might do the trick. Problem is, my snap ring pliers don't have that much spread. I'll have to borrow a set from my pappy when I stop by tonight.

BVH

Flashaholic
My parallel opening set would probably do the trick - but then I'm not exactly close. Patriot, I'm a little disappointed that you don't have every conceivable tool you might ever need already in your toolbox...:D