Thrunite Catapult V2/3 next level up from Jetbeam M1X?

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

After a year sober from flashaholism, I have relapsed and am itching to purchase another thrower. I currently have the Jetbeam M1X and it is an amazing light. But now I want the next generation of the king of throw. It only took me about five minutes to find the Thrunite Catapult V2/3 with the newest LED from Cree: the XM-L. I read up on Selfbuilt's spectacular review on both the V2 and V3 Cat. The picture I got was that the V2 Catapult has fewer settings than the V3. I am only concerned that one is not a better thrower than the other.

Selfbuilt's review answered nearly any question anyone could have about them. One thing that perplexed me however was when he squared off the Cat V2 with the Jetbeam M1X. Somewhere he mentioned that there was hardly any noticeable difference in throw between the two lights to the naked eye and that it would take a lux meter to detect the difference between the two. Forgive me as I have been unable to find the exact quote. I was hoping to get some of your opinions.

I also want to know if the more complex circuitry in the V3 Cat takes away from the Max output. And that the V2 Cat might be slightly brighter because it takes less energy to power its simpler circuitry. I am no electrical engineer so I may be way off but was curious about that.

I am wanting to buy the next level up from the Jetbeam M1X and was convinced that the Thrunite Cat V2 XM-L was the answer I was looking for. Until I read that. If anyone can confirm or deny this claim, or recommend some other lights worth looking into, please let me know. I had also looked into the Jetbeam BC-40. I know you guys will help point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dan:

Have you considered the Solarforce M8? Looks like the next step up from the M1X to me.

The performance of the V2 & V3 are so similar, I doubt the human eye will be able to detect any difference. But here is another thrower review that might add some perspective, its got quite a bit to read there.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hmmm, don't recall actually comparing the XM-L based Catapult V2 or 3 to the M1X. If I did make that comment, it was certainly in relation to SST-50-based Catapult V1 or 2 (which didn't throw that much further than the M1X) The XM-L V2 or 3 throws noticeably further (about ~40% further, based on my beam distance numbers).

Check out my 100-yard beamshot thread for comparison pics. The first set includes the M1X and Catapult V2 SST-50. A later set compares the Catapult V2 XM-L and V2 SST-50. Should give you a pretty good idea.

Note that I don't think there is any real difference in output or throw between the V2 XM-L and V3 XM-L - it's just the UI and minor build differences.

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for the thoughtful responses.

Selfbuilt, A thousand appologies. Your absolutely right I mixed up your review of the SST-50 Cat V2 with the XM-L Cat V2. I appreciate you taking the time to correct me in that. It did not take me long to find the Catapult and I think I will be very happy with this selection. Your reviews were the main factor in my decision.

Thanks again for the responses they definitely helped me make my mind, Shine on.

Dan

P.S. The sections of measuring PWM with the silly scope program are so cool. I wish I was savvy with them. Maybe one day.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hmmm, don't recall actually comparing the XM-L based Catapult V2 or 3 to the M1X. If I did make that comment, it was certainly in relation to SST-50-based Catapult V1 or 2 (which didn't throw that much further than the M1X) The XM-L V2 or 3 throws noticeably further (about ~40% further, based on my beam distance numbers).

Check out my 100-yard beamshot thread for comparison pics. The first set includes the M1X and Catapult V2 SST-50. A later set compares the Catapult V2 XM-L and V2 SST-50. Should give you a pretty good idea.

Note that I don't think there is any real difference in output or throw between the V2 XM-L and V3 XM-L - it's just the UI and minor build differences.

I can't wait to see how a TK41 does compared to a V3 in an objective review!