Streamlight TL-2 Xenon compare G2, Scorpion?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I'm considering getting the TL-2 Xenon in hopes that it has comparable long-throw and brightness to the PM-6 or Spyder, or at least the Scorpion or SF P60 lamps. The idea is to have a long-throw 2x123 in the smallest possible package. So far the Spyder is the smallest long throw 2x123 light that I've seen.

Has anyone compared the TL-2 Xenon to any of these lights?

Brightnorm

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Streamlight TL-2 How bright, long throw?

I recently started a thread "Twin Task owners check in" and got alot of replies so someone should be along to help shortly.

I wouldn't hesitate, the twin task series has got to be the best bang for the buck. I have the 1L and use it around the house constantly in both led and xenon mode. I was so impressed with the 1L I sold my E1e/KL1. I don't have to tell you the price difference! The 1L in xenon easily outthrew the E1e, sidespill too. Led mode is somewhere between the A2 and KL1. I found the A2 too dim and the KL1 too bright, the 1L is just right.

The knurling, o-rings, threads and finish I found superior and more appealing than SF. A lanyard is also included. Some people don't like the switching, but it's very easy to get used to and much ado about nothing.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe the TL-2 Xenon uses the same bulb as the Scorpion, so it should be as good as a Scorpion.

charliek

Enlightened

The only light in that group I own is the G2, it's amazing for it's size... All this talk of the SL TT1L and 2L has got my Mastercard screaming in my wallet....

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened

Just a point of information: Streamlight has confused the issue a bit by creating two different lines of flashlights with similar names.

The TwinTask (TT) is a mixed LED/Incandescant light. The Tactical Light (TL) is a single source light that is available in either incandescant or LED (not both on the same light).

I think the original question was about the TL Xenon series, but several of the answers were about the TT series. Unfortunately, I cannot answer the original question, but I thought I could, at least, point out the confusion.

-barry

p.s. I'm quite interested in the answer to the original question. Hope this thread gets some activity.

richpalm

Banned

The TL2, Scorpion and NF-2 take the same bulb. I just got an NF-2 and it's as good as a Scorpion.

Rich

WarrenI

Newly Enlightened

My TT-2L's beam hits easy at 150 feet. The beam is slightly less perfect than an E2, but pretty close. It produces slightly less light than the E2, but it's burn time is more than twice than the E2 (about 1 hour for the E2 to 2.5 hours for the TT-2L). I have two E2 owners purchasing the TT-2L, as they think this light makes the most real world sense with the LED giving the long and bright run times. They were very discouraged with the A2 prices and could not believe the TT-2L price at $30. You just can't go wrong at this price. Hey, $6 for two spare bulbs. I'm glad StreamLight did not follow the pricing and marketing of SF...

fivebyfive

Enlightened

If someone who owned the scorpion could verify whether or not the TL-2 Xenon shared the same bulb, this would answer a few questions. Followed by whether or not they share the same reflector. I'm going to try to find the answer as well.

pahl

Enlightened

I'm also looking at getting the TL-2.

Some of my questions on the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do you remove the bezel or the tail cap to replace the batteries?

How does the switch work on it?
Does the switch lock-out?

It would be great to see a photo of it next to a G2 or 6P.

FNG

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
fivebyfive said:
If someone who owned the scorpion could verify whether or not the TL-2 Xenon shared the same bulb, this would answer a few questions. Followed by whether or not they share the same reflector. I'm going to try to find the answer as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

They both share the same bulb, but im not sure about the reflector.
http://www.brightguy.com/detail.html?cart=10644245422633408&sku=STR85914

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
pahl said:

Do you remove the bezel or the tail cap to replace the batteries?

[/ QUOTE ] Tailcap

[ QUOTE ]
How does the switch work on it?
Does the switch lock-out?

[/ QUOTE ]For the 2L, it's just behind the bezel and similiar to mag lite. You click once to turn on the led's, then click again to turn them off, click again to turn on the xenon lamp, click again to turn it off, Repeat. No momentary.

For the TL series, it's just like SF except the button is some sort of plastic and a whole lot easier to press and keep on. Constant on and lockout is the same as SF.

Edited for the mistake Roy pointed out, thanks Roy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

I didn't know the TL-2 Xenon had leds.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened

Roy: you're right, the Streamlight TL-2 does NOT have LEDs. tkl is referring to the TT-2L, a completely different flashlight. Although there is an LED only version of the TL-2.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the TL-2 has the switch in the tailcap, and it does have both momentary and full on. I don't know if it has a lockout or not.

-barry

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BarryNYC said:
Also, I'm pretty sure that the TL-2 has the switch in the tailcap, and it does have both momentary and full on. I don't know if it has a lockout or not.

-barry

[/ QUOTE ]I just checked out a TL-3, it locks out, sorta. If you apply enough pressure to the switch no matter how much you twist out the light will come on. However, the switch is slightly recessed so it's unlikely it would turn on anyway. I wouldn't throw it in a bag or glovebox and be surprised if it turned on. The switch is too easy to press, but something has to fit inside the recess in the first place. You roll the dice with this one not having a true lockout feature ala SF.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Thanks all for replies. Yes, it is easy to confuse the Twin Tasks series with the Tactical Light series. Some have said that the TL-2 Xenon does take the Scorpion bulb. If so then the reflector will determine beam shape & throw. Richpalm states that the TL-2 equals the Scorpion, which is encouraging. I'm hoping it can focus down even tighter which would make it one of the smallest long throw 2x123 lights, which is what I'm after.

Two other considerations are bulb life and burntime, areas where the PM6 excels, in addition to remarkable throw as reviewed here:

PELICAN M6 EQUALS BRIGHTNESS/THROW OF TACLITE & TACM III

I'm seeking VLT (very long throw), which is not fulfilled by any non-turbo 2x123 lights except the PM6, TACM III and Taclite (Triad). I haven't yet put the Spyder through an outdoor comparison test and I'm hoping that it might be a contender, though I suspect it will fall short of those three champs. The ideal would be to somwhow mod the PM6 bulb and reflector to an E2E, TL-2 Xenon or Spyder, though the E2E mod is very unlikely. Perhaps I'm asking the impossible. If the TL-2 doesn't meet my hopes I will then turn to the modders.

Brightnorm

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

What about the mod Nascar did with a P91 and E2e?

draftaman

Newly Enlightened

Hmm,,if the tl/ttl series uses the same scorpion bulb (same socket) then you could replace it with a stinger bulb and have a rechargeable option too.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
BarryNYC said:
...Also, I'm pretty sure that the TL-2 has the switch in the tailcap, and it does have both momentary and full on. I don't know if it has a lockout or not.

-barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the TL-2 Xenon body is identical to the TL-2 LED body I can state that the the tail cap is a NLOTC (Non lockout tailcap). However, you can make inadvertant turn-on less likely by counterrotating the tailcap as far as possible.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
What about the mod Nascar did with a P91 and E2e?

[/ QUOTE ]

tkl,

I have Nascar's modded E2E heads and a P61-mod and P-91 mod and they are terrific, but since they use the E2E reflector they aren't really long throw in the sense that I've been using the term. I posted about the truly stunning qualities of that E2E/P61 mod. I think credit for the original concept goes to Don (McGizmo).

Brightnorm

HunterSon

Enlightened

If the TT-2L takes the same bulb as the Scorpion and the TL-2 why is it the (TT-2L) is rated at 2.5 hours of use and the Scorpion and TL-2 are rated at an hour, when all three use 2X123s?