Minimag glass lens, is it worth it?

Thomasaurus

Newly Enlightened
I've just bought a tle-5ex and terralux's tailcap for my old faithful aa minimag. It was a present a few years ago off my girlfriend and it's been given a fair beating around every uk army training area going amongst a few excursions and it's still going strong but dull (hence purchases).

What I was wondering, is the glass lens upgrade worth it? Does it make any difference at all or an I ok leaving the plastic standard one?

Cheers!

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this case I think it boils down to preference. A glass lens is durable and won't break easily, but if it does it's costly to repair and not easy to come by (unless you carry a spare). If the plastic's working fine after all it's been through, I wouldn't change it.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my daughter a pink minimag with the same terralux module you have and a kroll tail switch. I also had a UCL lens in it until one day I got it out of her nightstand draw and noticed it was cracked! To be fair, she does just throw things in the drawer with it carelessly but I was still none too happy about a $6 piece of broken glass. I would consider using a borofloat lens because they are a bit stronger but I actually put the plastic back in hers and let it be.

As far as noticing a difference, it is only about 10% gain at best. It would be hard to notice 10% on that terralux module.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I've actually started using plastic acrylite lens from flashlightlens.com in my flashlights. Creates a nice, big hotspot, and never shatters.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
How does that work? Does the acrylite lens from flashlightlens have a diffusion coating? Just curious. :)

Bill

Thomasaurus

Newly Enlightened
Ah thanks for the info! I'll leave it until I break it then upgrade it when it breaks as it most likely will do on day! It's a tough tool torch so it gets treated as such to be honest and has survived a treat. :)