Surefire e series clips- can they be removed?

Lolaralph

Enlightened
I have an e1e that I would like to remove the clip from, I can't get it to budge, I thought they came off, any suggestions on how to proceed.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my E1B and L1 when I swapped their clips I did this.
  • remove head
  • remove o-ring
  • place on flat surface like a table tail cap pointed up
Use small(ish) flat blade screwdriver at base of clip to push down (being careful not to scratch the body of coarse) with medium to hard steady pressure.
The E1E may have a plastic retainer wedged in front of the clip like my L1 to lock it in place.

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
The standard method is to loop a shoelace or bit of string under the clip and pull firmly away from the light.

If this doesn't work, be careful with how you handle the clip, as it tends to fracture rather than bend under high loads. I've heard this is an intentional design feature. I suppose it's to stop people getting pulled into machinery by the light clipped to their pants. :eek:

T45

Enlightened
The standard method is to loop a shoelace or bit of string under the clip and pull firmly away from the light.

If this doesn't work, be careful with how you handle the clip, as it tends to fracture rather than bend under high loads. I've heard this is an intentional design feature. I suppose it's to stop people getting pulled into machinery by the light clipped to their pants. :eek:

This method worked very well at removing the clip on my Surefire E2L. I used a short length of paracord I had on my desk. Just be very careful to not lose the plastic filler piece that is underneath the clip when it pops loose.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
can they be removed

Well, they can and they can't.

It won't affect most users, but it's possible for the o-rings that sit right above the clip to bulge into a vacant clip slot. Don't think it's likely to happen, but just full disclosure, because some members fill that slot after removing S.F. clips.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest putting a thin piece of cereal box cardboard under the clip when maneuvering it, so you don't scratch up the body.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have an e1e that I would like to remove the clip from, I can't get it to budge, I thought they came off, any suggestions on how to proceed.
They can all eventually be removed, but getting the new one back in with the plastic retainer is a whole other scenario, and one I've never been successful at. Doesn't matter all that much though, since the o-ring, and then the head, keeps them in place.