Jetbeam BC10 Daily Carry

Marcus99

Newly Enlightened
I decided to purchase my first tactical flashlight that I intend to carry regularly. I settled on a Jetbeam BC10 because it has many of the features I was looking for; has a good rep (even though it seems to be new), is IPX8 rated, is 270 lumens, is compact, has belt clip, runs on CR123's, not too complicated and reasonably priced. I also ordered some AW RCR123's 3.7v 750mah and an Ultrafire WF138 charger.

My questions is twofold;

- What's peoples experience with the equipment I ordered?
- More specifically, how does the BC10 feel as a daily carry flashlight, i.e. does it rub, the clip fall off, accidentally turn on etc.?

Thanks

swtws6

Newly Enlightened
I just took delivery of my BC10 a few days ago. Great light! Its actually on of my first "real" lights, opposed to cheap ebay stuff ive been playing around with. I'm used to carrying cheap small AAA lights on me so its def a lot bigger, but still very pocketable. I have yet to decide if I'll use the clip to let ride near the top of the pocket or just take off the clip and drop it down in. In any case, I cant foresee this clip coming off on its own. And accidental turn on would be near impossible as well with the recessed clicky switch. Its amazingly bright, blows away everything else I own, so far :) ... Fit and finish is superb for what is their budget line of lights. I am impressed. My flashlight buying has been kicked into high gear becasue of this light, now I want to give away almost everything I had before and have only good quality stuff!!!

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
I have had the BC10 for around a month now and here are my thoughts

Pros:
-Great beam pattern. No rings that I can see with a nice smooth transition from hotspot to corona and spill.

-No tint issues on my particular light.

-BRIGHT ... This thing is a cannon on a RCR.

Cons:
-Clicky switch is extremely soft and momentary on is activated by the slightest press.

-Going from RCR to CR, you have to fiddle with the light to get it working again. I found that a few head twists, along with a few taps on the clicky work.

-Pocket clip lasted 1 day for me at work. First decent bump and its off. I took a chance on a clipped-on-clip and I lost it.

Summary:
A nice bright beam that is very pleasing to your eye. Decent quality but it does leave you with the nagging reminder that itches at the wallet seams, "... you get what you pay for ..."

Competitive suggestions:
Higher$$ - Nitecore Extreme - Love this little thing! It screams quality & loves throw.
Lower$$ - ITP EOS A1 - Reliable, tough & cheap.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BC10 is overdriven on RCR123's.
It's brighter but I wouldn't run it continuously for any length of time.

Marcus99

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine in today and tried it out. It's definitely very bright. The finish seems pretty good too. I'm not sure if the AW RCR123a's come fully charged but I'm wondering if I should drain them completely before the first charge or if it is safe to go ahead and charge them right away?

EDIT: I also noticed after a while of running the light on high that it will not turn back on if I turn it off. It was also very hot. Is this the flashlights way of protecting itself from overheating, or are both the AW RCR123's so lowly pre-charged that they just don't have enough power to turn back on the flashlight? They are protected AW's and the BC10 I believe is also protected.

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marcus, those rechargeables you have are lithium ion batteries - they require lots of tops ups, esp if you don't use them for 6 or 12 months, remember to top them up.
Never discharge a lithium ion battery - this shortens it's overall lifespan.
Discharging was only required with the original NiCad batteries in the 1980's, and the NiMH of the 1990's.

You're second question I'm not sure? It could be overheating, but is more possible that it doesn't have enough energy to immediately turn back on? I'll leave it to another member to answer this one...

BIGLOU

Enlightened
thedukeoftank,

I dont have a BC10 but have modded my JB RRT-0 and E3P with Nitecore D10/EX10 clips. Also heard the Nitecore Infliux IFE1 Ti clip could work (works on RRT-0 without tapping holes).

Here is my JB RRT-0 with screw holes tapped into it and a D10 clip (no backing plate used)
DSC03067.jpg

DSC03068.jpg

Here is my E3P with the D10 Clip (no backing plate used)
100_4273.jpg

100_4279.jpg

100_4272.jpg

Last edited:

Captain

Newly Enlightened
thedukeoftank,

I dont have a BC10 but have modded my JB RRT-0 and E3P with Nitecore D10/EX10 clips. Also heard the Nitecore Infliux IFE1 Ti clip could work (works on RRT-0 without tapping holes).

Here is my JB RRT-0 with screw holes tapped into it and a D10 clip (no backing plate used)
DSC03067.jpg

I loved my BC 10 before I lost it. I'd buy another one today if it came with a clip like this on it. Is there another light in this price range with a bolt on clip like this that's this good?