Just pulled the trigger on an Elzetta M60!

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I picked it up for a few backwoods camping trips this summer. I ordered the 2 cell with the rotary switch. What can I expect in terms of durability, reliability and upgrade options? Is it a quality light?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Elzetta is on my to buy list, but not in the near future. It may be a present for myself once Christmas arrives. The Elzetta light is machined to take the Malkoff drop in perfectly. I just emailed Elzetta yesterday to see if they had any plans of producing a model that can take 18650s (I don't want to buy one and have it bored, possibly voiding warranty, etc.). They replied quickly (in a few hours on a Saturday!) with a thorough response, explaining the increased bore would allow too much movement for primary cells (affecting the protection of the cells), but a 17670 cell would work fine. I will probably go with a warm XML if/when I get one. They seem very durable and reliable, but I am wondering how water resistant they are. They can be upgraded with Malkoff dropins.
Edit: Please post your thoughts. I am very interested in these lights and want to get a light to go along with my HDS that I know will be covered under the warranty if anything happens. With these lights I know that Malkoff has great customer service, and based on the fast response I think Elzetta customer service should be pretty good.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's superb quality.
Probably the most rugged light made, with awesome anodizing and finish, and is about bomb-proof.

I have the 3-cell model with the crenelated bezel and the Hi/Lo tailswitch, ZFL-M60-CS3D.
You're gonna love the throw with that M60 module in it. It throws 150 yards. Fairly narrow beam, but punches way out there, and is clean and great tint.
It's smaller than it appears to be in the pictures too. Very handy little size.

Once you get this light in your hand, you'll know it's not going to break. It's really solid.
I love mine, and I think it's a steal for what it costs.

You can use any of the Malkoff modules in the 2-cell model, except the new M91 which requires 3-cells.
You can buy spare heads, bodies and tailswitches, and they are all "lego-able". So if you decide to go with a 3-cell body later, that's all you have to buy. And you can add a clicky tailswitch or the Hi/Lo tailswitch later too.
Great system.

Last edited:

BIG45-70

Enlightened
Sweet deal, I love having a new light in the mail. (NEWBIE ALERT) How do I know what Malkoff assembly fits in the Elzetta? I only see assemblys for surefires or mag-lights.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet deal, I love having a new light in the mail. (NEWBIE ALERT) How do I know what Malkoff assembly fits in the Elzetta? I only see assemblys for surefires or mag-lights.

The SureFire P60 modules from Malkoff will fit the Elzetta lights. For any 2-cell light, the Series 60 or 61 will work with the 2 battery format.
The M91 requires 3 cells, so even though it fits, it won't work properly in the 2-cell lights. All the others will fit and work, such as the M60F, M60L, M61, M61W, M61WL, M61WLL, MCE.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If my understanding is correct, the M91 set ups will work with two cells only if they are RCR123s, but they won't work with a single Li-ion recharagable or two primaries. Does anyone use 17670s in there Elzetta and if so do they work well? Do the lights/switches seem water resistant, i.e. can they take a shallow submersion for a few minutes? Not trying to hijack the thread but the OP did mention upgrading... I'm interested in purchasing a warm set up, so I would just want the 2 cell body tube, hi-low switch, crenelated bezel, and M61W. Any other sites sell the parts individually, or will I have to get the warm drop in from somewhere and the individual Elzetta parts from the Elzetta site?

hotlight

Enlightened
The Elzetta is one of the beefiest hosts I've ever handled... you will not be disappointed.

Mine was very waterproof with the Hi/Lo tailcap.(about 1 hr. submerged in a water filled 5 Gal. bucket.)... I did grease the threads before and make sure the tail cap switch and boot was tightened/seated properly. (which you don't have to do... I just wanted to make sure before I left it in water for an hour)

I was using a 17670 with M61W and it worked great!

For a M91, I'd use a Elzetta 3 Cell tube with x2 17500s... IMO

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If my understanding is correct, the M91 set ups will work with two cells only if they are RCR123s, but they won't work with a single Li-ion recharagable or two primaries. Does anyone use 17670s in there Elzetta and if so do they work well? Do the lights/switches seem water resistant, i.e. can they take a shallow submersion for a few minutes? Not trying to hijack the thread but the OP did mention upgrading... I'm interested in purchasing a warm set up, so I would just want the 2 cell body tube, hi-low switch, crenelated bezel, and M61W. Any other sites sell the parts individually, or will I have to get the warm drop in from somewhere and the individual Elzetta parts from the Elzetta site?

I don't use rechargeables but you are correct that a pair of RCR123 li-ion batteries would have enough voltage to run the M91

Regarding water resistance, I haven't dunked mine, but it's fully o-ringed, even with an o-ring at the front of the head on the lens of the M60. Rubber switch boot seems watertight too, and it is not a wimply thin rubber boot. It's not likely to tear.
I just can't envision this thing leaking. It's got at least as good o-ringing as any of my other lights, and it's tight. So while I haven't actually thrown it into a pond, it sure appears as though it would be water-tight.

Regarding parts, it seems that you can get all their body parts from the Elzetta site, but the warm module will probably have to come from Gene or a stocking Malkoff dealer.
I haven't seen any warm modules listed on the Elzetta site.

One thing I noticed on my Elzetta is that they were a little skimpy with the thread-grease, so you might want to get some and add a little bit.