How does the Fenix E21 compare to JetBeam BA20?

Jamamp

Newly Enlightened
I'm finally ready to make my first real LED flashlight purchase of the non-Walmart generic variety. I'm wanting to stick with AA or AAA batteries since they're much easier to find and I already have a plethora of them hiding around the house. I've narrowed down my choices to the E21 and the newer BA20 model.

Amazon has the E21 for $35 free shipping & GoingGear has the BA20 for like $36 after the discount code is applied. They both offer a high-mode and low-mode and are, I think, exactly what I'm wanting in a flashlight. Small enough to go in a pocket, yet bright and durable enough to always be there when I need it. Has anyone here purchased both or seen them reviewed or compared side by side? I've been searching for a good Fenix E21 review on CPF but I'm unable to find one.

What would you fellers recommend? I might not be able to reply back immediately since I'm at work but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it!

- Jason

Craig K

Enlightened
I am interested in the BA20 I wonder what is the best 2 X AA light out there, is there anything much better than the BA20 that I should be looking at ?

Last edited:

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
I don't actually own either, but here is what I can tell you. The BA20 is quite a bit brighter, but is more floody, so that the E21 actually throws farther. The BA20 is a little smaller and lighter. Interface is pretty much the same. Finally, the BA20 has a pocket clip and I don't beleive that the E21 does. The BA20 does a weird thing in low where it comes on at over 50 lumens then sags down to 25 after a few minutes. It holds that 25 lumens then for over 25 hours. The E21 will hold its 50 lumens low throughout but doesn't last nearly as long.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
I am interested in the BA20 I wonder what is the best 2 X AA light out there, is there anything much better than the BA20 that I should be looking at ?

Besides the E21 and BA20, you should also look at the ITP SA2, the Quark Mini AA2, and the Eagletac P100A2. That's pretty much the line-up in the sub $40 2xaa range. The SA2 and Quark provide a lot more modes, user options, while the others keep it simple. The Eagletac is pretty much the king of throw in the 2xaa format and overall output is comparable to the E21 if not slightly higher. It is also a basic 2-mode light like the E21 and BA20.

Jamamp

Newly Enlightened
SirJohn, thanks for the suggestions on the SA2 and the Quark Mini. I'll have to add those into my considerations! Until I found cpf I never realized the advertised lumens are sometimes exaggerated, so I have to check out reviews on here instead of going by what I read on Amazon or GoingGear.

Way too many good lights out there!