What is a good pocket thrower?

Search4light

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a pocket thrower to add to my collection. I'd like something with these features:
- weight without battery not much more than 60 grams / 2.1 ounces
- Length < 10cm / 4 inches
- not less than 5000Lux hotspot (measured like in selfbuilt reviews)
- ideally powered with single CR123A/RCR123A vs AA to get more power in a smaller size/weight
- main switch should be a good rear tactical switch with easy momentary on
- with strobe mode
less important but still appreciated
- strike bezel

The closest light I have with these features is the RRT-0 r5 but the switch is difficult to activate / momentary activate, the hotspot lux is visibly brighter with another 2xAA light I have, the itp SA2 R2, so I suspect the ITP SC1 would throw better than the RRT-0 and definitely easier to operate with better tactical switch and maybe lighter.
So at this moment I would consider the SC1, but maybe some of you can advice for other alternatives?
Thanks

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Quark 123 Tactical fits your requirements perfectly. You may not think of it as a thrower but the S2 version will do over 5,000 lux on RCR 123

I can't find any lux numbers off hand but the HDS Ra Clicky 170T seems (in my opinion) to out throw even the Quark. It's only 170 lumens but the emitter is so small compared to the reflector that it throws quite well even with the OP reflector.

Both of the above lights fit your requirements but I don't think either one quite has a reputation as a "pocket thrower". When I think small, CR123 powerd thrower, I think in terms of the Ray D1. It does have a larger head diameter but it still fits your length requirement and it'll do 20,000 lux (and that's according to Selfbuilt).

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought but id go for the raptor and grind off the tail surround, i am just about to do that to my infilux. Take your time it will turn out fine !

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
+1 HDS 170T - A magnificent thrower: Worth considering, but restricted to 18650 is the fantastic Zebralight SC60 or in the warmer version SC60W. Both of these will blow you away: The W. has a warmish peachy tint that I wish all my lights had!

Good Luck.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, I cant believe the OP said 50K lux and said RRT-0 r5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way will you ever get 40K, 50K lux, or anything close to that unless you put a big bezel like 2in~3in diameter. And even then you would have to use XR-E R2 or very hard driven XM-L 6T at the min.

The lumapower D-min VX with XR-E R2 and Turboforce 2.8in bezel SMO does well over 70K lux and uses just a single CR123 cells if thats your thing or a 18650.

bigC

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigC,

You did what I did at first. The op is looking for a light to make 5,000 lux, not 50,000.

I guess he should have used a comma.

BJ

Search4light

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the advices.
Considering what is easiliy available in europe I am still considering the ITP SC1 R2 version as one of the best choices: 6KLux in a small compact body and at cheap price. There is now also an SC1 R5 variant but I guess it throws less.
I have already the SA2 R2 and it clearly out throws the RRT-0, which is a great light for the smooth infinite brightness but I don't consider it quickly responsive with that stiff and unaccessible switch, nor a thrower.
Another nice choice could be the nitecore extreme, but it's still less throwy than SC1 and much more expensive. I love the design though, similar to NDI, very comfortable in the hand , responsive, and with a nice strike bezel.
The temptation is to buy them all, but then... :broke:

Chrisdm

Enlightened
My best "pocket thrower" is my Jetbeam TC-R2... It happens also to be the most beautiful, best UI etc etc.. But of course at a price... Theres on on the buy & sell board now for $230 I think...

recDNA

Flashaholic
The TC-R2 is my favorite EDC but it doesn't throw worth a darn IMO. I'm not knocking it for that. It's perfect to light up a room or a driveway. I carry a Nailbender 1.4 amp R2 in my coat pocket for throw. It's better in a big parking lot to light up my car from a distance. 2.8 inch head is just too big for my pocket but 70K lux from the D-Mini is darn impressive! I imagine the spot on my car would be pretty small at 50 yards?

Eagletac makes several good throwers too.

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight C2H with Javelin P60 head, using the correct XR-E or XP-E pill/reflector for a single CR-123 or RCR123 battery is quite a pocket cannon. Will also run on Li-ion 14500 with the extension tube, and it actually fits the hand better that way. Even without the Javelin head, the C2H is impressively bright on CR-123 or 14500. You wouldn't be disappointed by the light.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hadn't thought about the P60 route. You could put a Nailbender XRE R2 drop in inside a Solarforce L2M host and have a wicked little 1xCR123 thrower. It looks like the new L2M with the Stainless bezel is only $20 from Solarforce sales. They also have some XRE-R2 drop ins.

Potato42

Newly Enlightened
One of my current favorites is the Eagletac T10C. It does over 5k lux according to selfbuilt and light-reviews, and it has a great surprisingly bright and useful spill beam. The head is rather large, but it does fit within your size requirements. Something I personally find amazingly useful is the two way pocket clip. It does tailstand, and the user interface is super simple general mode, high mode. The lens bezel is stainless. You can pick up the Eagletac T10C from flashlight connection for $35, that's about 1/2 price and you probably wont find them again after he sells out. I own two of them... just in case.

Portaphile

Newly Enlightened
How about the jetbeam jet II I.B.S.? 9.5k lux and runs off one cr123. I've had mine for over a year and still quite happy with it's size factor and ability to throw a good deal considering it size along with decent spill.

yliu

Enlightened
Led Lenser flashlight give a very intense beam while focused. I heard it somewhere that they are updating their lights this June, so hopefully we'll see some XPG or XML light from LL.

By the way, my Led Lenser M7 (220 lumen) beam is more intense than my TK45 (760 lumen). Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to measure the intensity.