Maglite XL50 vs Streamlight Scorpion

KZMAN

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I just joined a week or so ago and am surprised as to how much time I have already spent here! I have a Scorpion (xenon) which has and does serve me well. That said, I have always kind of disliked the 123 batteries, relatively short run time, and the amount of heat it produces. I was wondering how the new Maglite XL50 would compare as an addition or substitute for the Scorpion. Both are similar in size with the click button, but the XL 50 uses AAA batteries, has a higher lumin output, and also has a fast strobe. I know there are many fine alternatives, but I am specifically interested in the XL50.

Thanks!

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
I have to say from experience that the 3xaaa format is kind of a pain. I have a few 3xaaa lights and I tend not to use them all that often because of having to change the batteries. A single aa has almost three times the capacity as a aaa. If you are really concerned about batteries, you will be much happier with a 1xaa or 2xaa torch. Not the answer you are looking for I'm sure, but it is really something to consider.

tempman

Newly Enlightened
I just typed a good 500 words about the maglite xl series. (xl100 and xl50), and proceeded to click the back button on my mouse........GREAT!!!! Oh well. Basically I ranted about the xl50 and how its great for 30 bucks. I don't use the xl100 since I bought the xl50 recently and would be willing to let you borrow the xl100 so you might become familiar with the lights. The xl50 is a little bit brighter but not my much. I just prefer the simplicity of the xl50 now. Let me know if you would like me to send you my xl100 to try out. I'd ship it to you for 4 bucks (in the cont. usa). The scorpion is a pretty quality light, and you might want to consider a LED dropin if there is one available. Or just take my word for it and get an xl50. The beam color is a tad bit on the blueish side but not my too much. My xl100 is more white.

KZMAN

Newly Enlightened
Thanks tempman for your generous offer. Right now I'm just looking for opinions. One thing I've noticed since joining the forum is that there seems to be very little discussion regarding Maglites. Not knowing any better, I always assumed they were one of the top flashlight companies. Funny thing is, almost all of the brand names I read about, Fenix, Maratac, ITP, etc. I've never even heard of! Are any of these brands available at retail dealers, or are they online purchases only?

Kokopelli

Enlightened
Really funny, I just have ordered an XL50 after handling my XL100 once again. XL100 is a great thrower for a ~100 lm light, very nice tint, very low low, nice "toy" features, very good size for hand and long runtime. XL50 on the other hand appealed me with its simplicity. Pity they have parasitic drain but I don't think we'd leave a light sitting there a year or so.

Maglite, have always been the dinosaur of modern lights, with low lumen, exaggerated sizes etc. But after having XL100, I saw they are just nice engineering works and how such a useful light with such a low lumen rating and low consumption can happen. Looking forward to have the new XL200 too.

KZMAN

Newly Enlightened
Kokopelli: Sorry I have to ask, but what do you mean by "Pity they have parasitic drain"?

WriteAway

Newly Enlightened
I've had an XL50 for about 3 months as a general home/dog walking light, and notice that the light is noticeably dimmer now after only occasional use, than when new. That said, it is still a nice, bright light that does what I need it for. KZMAN, parasitic drain in the XL50 is a slow use of battery current by the electronic controls in the light. After a longer time, the batteries will be drained to the point of uselessness. It is an issue, but I find the lack of a lanyard hole and protective silicone jacket to be more annoying.

Last edited:

tempman

Newly Enlightened
I just swapped tailcaps on my xl50 and xl100. I prefer the tint of my 100 which is very neutral, but prefer the simplicity of the xl50. I now have......dut dut dummmm.........the perfect maglite?

Night Slayer

Newly Enlightened
I got a 100 when they were extremely hard to find around here, like finding teeth after a family reunion.... :) the 50 has just now shown up in widespread, and honestly its a bit salty in my region of Indiana, at 40 + bucks... I dont think thats a great deal this day and age, not for anything with *EEK*....M@G printed on it. So I bought it online...

It is a simple light, few stages, multi clicky, its a mild to moderate thrower, it has a robust battery tray, although it uses the standard three of doom.... I like the series of lights personally and although it does have shortcomings, for the right price they cannot be beaten easily. It would complement a scorpion, although me thinks after a few test drives the 50 would be riding in the holster :)

Now that frankenstein 100/50 tail ...... I need to buy them both......AGAIN :thumbsup:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
the Mag LED lights are okay, but for just a little more money, there are better options like the Fenix E21. the Fenix has a better LED, better electronics, better body. better reflector and lens, and it's cheaper to feed than the Mag XL50 since it takes 2 AA instead of 3 AAA. also, if you use alkaline batteries, the Maglites aren't fully regulated so the output dips over time. the Fenix will maintain its brightness until the batteries die.

Last edited: