quark AA^2 emiter swap to xp-g HI CRI 90

el_Pablo

Enlightened
Hello guys,

I finaly open my quark head , it was a xp-g S2, with a really greenish color...

I decided to order from cutters 2 mpcb 10mm in xp-g Q2 HI CRI 90.

i was kind of curious to see the difference, i use this light in EDC (clean room work with yellow light, any UV or near UV) and i often use it to see wich color are the cable im connecting (every colors look the same under yellow light...)

So the hardest part was to open the head, i used two wrenches and wraped the head around rubber band. (no heat no cold). fisrt attempt the rubber was slidding, so i had to clean it with acetone, and then i open this head.

you can see the threadlock in blue

i use a smaller mpcb, but 1/3 thicker, it fit well (the o-ring and the plastic alignement ring absorb the different thicknes)

[

You can see the real life colors and they are vivid !

my AA^2 was rated 180 ainsi lumens, so with this xp-g Q2 HI CRI 90, i guess i lost around 30% of output, i will say around 120 ainsi lumens with this HI CRI 90 emiter... but i do not have any sphere to mesure it.

I hope you enjoy my small contribution to the CPF forum, and im already sorry for my non US english (event not british)

Last edited:

Harry999

Enlightened
el Pablo,

Your language skills are fine. Certainly better than my Spanish or Portuguese! Thanks for sharing. That color rendering is absolutely great. I hope 4Sevens do produce a High CRI light. It would be a worthy addition to their range.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice work there el Pablo. Those colors definitely pop with the new emitter. Wish I was handy. I'd be very tempted to try something like that out in place of my R2 in my 123^2.

alphazeta

Enlightened
Good job & :welcome:

Here's a tip to make your future Quark bezel head openings easier.
Before I obtained a head gun, one quick & dirty method I used to make life easier is to run the light in turbo & allow the head to heat up a bit. At that point, I'm usually able to just twist the two halves open at the point (with the aid of some rubber bands)
:thumbsup:AZ

edc3

Enlightened
Nice work Pablo! How do you like the tint? These look warmer than the SSC High CRI emitters I've seen. It would be great to see some outdoor beam shots if you have time.

el_Pablo

Enlightened
Hi edc3,

Yes it has a warm tint, 3000k typ. XPGWHT-U1-0000-00AE7 87.4lm @350ma

to my eyes its really close as the tint as p61 incan from surefire.

As soon i got the time to take few outside beamshot, i will post them here !

i tried it last night, outside (urban area, not that dark) i was surprised because isnt that floody than i was expecting into such a small reflector.

Last edited:

edc3

Enlightened
Hey Pablo,

Sounds very nice. I may have to order a couple of these from a local dealer to try out.

I modded one of my Quark titanium heads with an XP-G neutral R4. It also was on a thicker MPCB than the stock. As a result, there is a little gap where the head goes together which I doubt is a problem as the o-ring is covered. However, I noticed that the beam has a donut past 18 inches or so. Do you notice any donut in your beam? I'm going to try filing a millimeter off the back of the reflector and see if this helps.

Don

el_Pablo

Enlightened
Hey Don,

I didnt notice any donut hole, at any distance, my mpcb was 1/3 ticker than the original, but i removed the thermal past (way too much in the original setting) and replaced it by AS5 but just a little (enough) (maybe i won a few mm)

i think where you can make the difference is where the wires are welded, my welding was really flat and without any sharp shapes (understandable ? :huh:) and i really forced down the head.

if i have to do it again i think i will remove the extra thickness of the mpcb to avoid any sort of trouble.

edc3

Enlightened
Thanks Pablo. I'm a little chicken about grinding my reflector down, so when I get around to it I'll ask for some advice in a new thread. I really like the neutral tint I put in over the original greenish led, but the donut is bugging me. :scowl:

bee-man

Newly Enlightened
Hey modders,
If you want to avoid fitment problems, you may want to consider throwing out the thicker PCB and swapping the LED on to the stock PCB using a heat gun. I neutralized about 10 lights this way. Once you get the hang, it is a much cleaner solution. Anyway, just a suggestion.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, bee-man. Maybe you could start a thread on your technique? I am sure others (myself included) would enjoy reading about it. :=)

LEDAdd1ct