Question about LED Surefires

jfscmedic

Newly Enlightened
What is the difference between a 6P LED flashlight and the KX4 LED Head? I see the 6P LED lights with the KX4 heads selling for $89 and I see the KX4 heads by themselves selling for $85? Why are the prices only $4 apart when one does not even include the flashlight?

nbp

Flashaholic
That's an excellent question. That seems really expensive for a KX4, but that's what they are on the SF website. I think you can get those heads for more like $45 or so on the MP as lights get parted out. But yeah, that's a funny pricing scheme. If you were going to buy from SF directly you may as well buy the whole light and then sell the body and Z41 on the MP and recoup half your cost. :shrug:

Imon

Enlightened
I think this is true for all of their LED heads.
For example the KX2 head is $150 while the E2L itself is $180.

My guess is that the price of the head is almost the full price of the flashlight because...

1. The head contains all of the electronics. It is the most expensive part of the flashlight, in fact, it is essentially the flashlight. I can put a E2DL head onto my E2L and it will function exactly like a E2DL.
2. Surefires are expensive to begin with. This has been discussed ad nauseum. I'm shocked when people are shocked that Surefires are expensive. Where have you been for the past 10 years?
3. Selling LED heads for cheap is not exactly a good business strategy. Like I said earlier my E2DL head can be put onto my E2L body or my LX2 body and my E1L head can be put onto my E1B body and vice versa. Interpret it as you will but ultimately Surefire is out to make a buck and this is one of the ways they do it.

That said, I do think buying the LED heads individually is kind of a crummy deal.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, for one, the 6PL will more than likely be discontinued, a reason hy SF didn't raise the price on it during there recent price increases. Where as the KX4 will stay. But, yeah, the KX4 went from $52 to $85...WTH???