Fenix TK35, alternative?

kwak

Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm interested in buying a decent high output torch for camping, walking and outdoor activities.
As i already have a LD01 and a TK21 U2 and both have proved to be excellent torches obviously Fenix was my first choice when looking for something a bit more powerful.

I've carried out the usual youtube and t'net comparison searches but so far have not been able to find anything that compare power, throw and price wise.

So i would like some advice from guys please, to tell me if there are any other sub $150 800+ lumen torches i need to look at as well.

Cheers
Mark

tonkem

Enlightened
Have you considered the Sunwayman M30R or M60R. Price is a few $ over your min of $150, but you might consider them. There are some youtube reviews of the SST-50 emitter, but has been recently upgraded to XML.

Tony

Chrisdm

Enlightened
The latest Thrunite Catapult is a better thrower, more attractive IMO for a few more $$... The Jetbeam M1XM is also a lot nicer looking/feeling IMO, with a little better throw than the TK35, although a little more expensive also... Don't know about the throw of the new Jetbeam BC40 yet, but has the same lumen output as the TK35 in a LOT more affordable and better looking package.

srfreddy

Enlightened
The TK35 utterly pwns all the others in terms of compactness, weight and also has a much more usable beam, IMHO.

kwak

Enlightened
Wow great responses, thanks guys.

I'm looking for the same thing. Check out this page.
http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php?model=139&scene=1&mode=0
Even the TK45 fails to compare to the throw of TK35.

Fantastic link and a great site that.

I actually stumbled upon it earlier today while searching.
From my 20 min play there though there seems to be nothing else on the site that comes close for the TK35's size.

Have you considered the Sunwayman M30R or M60R. Price is a few $ over your min of $150, but you might consider them. There are some youtube reviews of the SST-50 emitter, but has been recently upgraded to XML.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I've not yet considered anything else to be honest.
The searches i've carried out so far, with my extremely limited torch knowledge and experience had not found anything comparable at the same sort of size, weight and price of the TK35.

I'll happily check out the ones you listed though, thanks.

No problem - completely understood. This can be a confusing place before you get used to it.

Welcome to CPF! :)

Very gracious and thanks for the welcome :thumbsup:

The latest Thrunite Catapult is a better thrower, more attractive IMO for a few more $$... The Jetbeam M1XM is also a lot nicer looking/feeling IMO, with a little better throw than the TK35, although a little more expensive also... Don't know about the throw of the new Jetbeam BC40 yet, but has the same lumen output as the TK35 in a LOT more affordable and better looking package.

Great info thanks Chris, i'll check them out.

$50 extra on the price wouldn't really break the bank, but having (very distant) Scottish heritage i will have to see some gain in performance and/or size for the extra money compared to say the TK35

The TK35 utterly pwns all the others in terms of compactness, weight and also has a much more usable beam, IMHO.

So far i have to agree, but i've got plenty of reading and searching to do thanks to the other responses, so we'll see.

Do you have a TK35?
I've read a few people having problems one the rear switches, has yours had much use, any problems with either switch?

Another question please guys.

I've read some fantastic reports on the "4Sevens Maelstrom S12", from the vids i've watched so far it seems this torch has a slightly tighter beam than the TK35 but also slightly more throw.

It is more expensive, but as it looks to be physically smaller than the TK35 i'd happily pay a little more for something that takes up less space in my rucksack.

What's your thoughts on this light as a comparison to the TK35 please?

Lastly where are you guys buying the "4Sevens Maelstrom S12" from?
Again another search came up with only 1 used example for sale on ebay and no on-line dealers here in Europe.

Again thanks for all the great responses and warm welcome guys, very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Cheers
Mark

srfreddy

Enlightened
4sevens.com ships worldwide for free. The S12 is even smaller than the TK35, throws less, output similar, but has less features in terms of modes, and a rather unpopular tailcap design.

kwak

Enlightened
4sevens.com ships worldwide for free. The S12 is even smaller than the TK35, throws less, output similar, but has less features in terms of modes, and a rather unpopular tailcap design.

Fantastic thanks, free shipping makes a nice change :).

As i already have the U2 version of the TK21 which looks to be similar in size to the S12, is there any gain with regards to power for going for the S12 (compared to my T21 U2)

pageyjim

Enlightened
The S12 is more of a flooder has about 800 lumens, atleast at first. Versus the app 470 or so for the TK21. Most people will have to buy batteries and a charger for the S12 also.

Over in the manufacturer section there is a Spark SL6 that is suppose to be 800 lumens in a smaller package than the TK21. It is more of a flooder also and may have some battery issues. It has not been reviewed yet.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK-35 Go For it... It's a game changer.... love it! It's my new BIG light, and it's quite compact to boot.

... The Zebralight SC600 is not in our hands yet, but it also promises to be very special. However with a single Cell, small reflector, and even the best heat sinking, it's not going to topple the TK-35, it's really a different light... If it meets spec... it's mine. If you don't need the throw or the runtime of the TK-35 the SC600 should certainly be a blaster you can put in a pocket.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I think that Zebralights thermal system they tout all the time could be a lack of a star-which would be VERY beneficial to heatsinking, even if the light was much hotter.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I'm interested in buying a decent high output torch for camping, walking and outdoor activities.
As i already have a LD01 and a TK21 U2 and both have proved to be excellent torches obviously Fenix was my first choice when looking for something a bit more powerful.

I've carried out the usual youtube and t'net comparison searches but so far have not been able to find anything that compare power, throw and price wise.

So i would like some advice from guys please, to tell me if there are any other sub $150 800+ lumen torches i need to look at as well.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark!

Since you've already tried out a couple of Fenixes, might as well bite the bullet and go with the TK35, the price/performance of that light will not disappoint! Unless you wanna go with the cheaper BC40 of Jetbeam, but it has a long smooth shaft, and not that easy to just shove in your pack and go.

S12's okay, if you want the floody type of beam pattern.

You might also want to check out the 123^2 Turbo X of 4Sevens, not bad, and cheaper too, but output is not nearly the same.

Good luck with your next BIG light! :)

I'm also in the same situation, looking around for a BIG light... so far still searching... the TK35 is just one of the lights im considering. Fenix have been dropping their prices, its either they are being more competitive or more new models are coming out, so i decided to wait a bit, might be worth waiting for, like the Turbo X, i'm getting that, for sure! :)

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened
Just checked up the JETBeam BC40, seems very promising. Anywhere that sells it cheap? I know that the TK35 is available from 4Sevens for $115USD including free delivery. Anyone similar for JETBeam? Only thing that's holding me back is the length, I mean the TK35 wasn't small by any means but still, it wasn't this long.

pageyjim

Enlightened
MSRP of the BC40 is like $70 and you will qualify anytime it looks like for a CPF discount now with 3 posts. Shipping will most likely be free to a dollar or so.

Chrisdm

Enlightened

lovemylexicon

Newly Enlightened
kwak:

I had the TK 35 twice and returned it twice---one time because I didn't like the green tint; the second time becasue the tint was again green and there was a black spot in the middle of the hotspot (no, not a donut hole, but a black spot). If I can get my hand on a white tint TK35 with no blemish beam I would have kept it, as it is good in both throw and flood, and the price is hard to beat. But I just don't want to take a risk with it for the third time. So if color tint is important for you, you may want to think twice before buying the TK35, although there are people who said they got one without green tint. That kind of luck just hasn't come to with yet.

In the same category of lights I also have the Sunwayman m30r with the sst-50 emitter and the Eagletac M3C4 Triple XM-L. I like the Eagletac a lot---better than the Sunwayman. But the Sunwayman is much lighter to hold than the M3C4. Suprisingly, the Sunwayman m30r throws farther than I think. Interestingly, even though the Sunwayman m30r has an OP reflector, it has a rather large hot spot. The M3C4, on the other hand, has a smooth reflector, but its beam is much more balance from the hotspot to the spill.

Hope this helps.