Unusual Powering up of Maelstrom S12

Portaphile

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a second hand S12 and am testing it out with a 26650 IMR. When I turn the light on and it starts on Hi, there's a quick change from low to hi as if it starts on low before quickly changing to hi. Lo powers up fine but hi seems to quickly change from low to hi. It's a quick change in brightness just not quick enough to not be noticeable. I hadn't read any reference to this on as many S12 threads I could find and am wondering if this is normal for this light. Anyone else experiencing this.

Portaphile

Newly Enlightened
This is the first time I've seen a light do this so I was a bit concerned. Hopefully some S12 owners will chime in with how their S12's light up.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
S12 owner here. At first I thought maybe my light did that and I just didn't notice it because it was so quick, but I tried it out and it definitely comes on high immediately. The switch is unlike any I've ever seen, and to be honest I'm not sure I could explain how it works, but it definitely behaves differently depending on how far you have the cap screwed down. Have you tried screwing it all the way down and backing it off only a quarter turn instead of the recommended half turn? I found this is an easy way to adjust the sensitivity of the switch but it may help your issue.

Portaphile

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for sharing your experiences GeoBruin. I'll try adjusting the switch as soon as I get home and see if that makes any differences.

I've contacted 4Sevens to see if they had any comments to why the light would be behaving like this. I am hoping it's normal but if your experiences with your S12 is the norm then I'll have to consider returning the light.

Portaphile

Newly Enlightened
I tried different "positions" for the tail (screw amounts) and no change was noted. Still having the same problem.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It does indeed sound like a driver "issue" since the tailcap position has no bearing on the symptom. I would try another cell just to be sure though.

I've got the S12 copper and it does not do what you're describing. When my high comes on, it's instant full output with no delay. I'll be doing a video review on that light in a few days so I'll post the youtube link here in case it might help out.

Portaphile

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help fellas. 4sevens confirmed that it was possibly a driver issue and they even offered to repair it. Considering i bought it second hand that is incredible customer service! Unfortunately, the light had been modified before but returned to stock condition before I bought it and this voided the ten year warranty so I wasn't able to get it repaired. It's now headed back to the previous who was kind enough to issue a full refund. At this time, I'm still wondering if those mods had anything to do with how it was powering up. If any other s12 owners experience the same thing please let me know. I'd like to buy another one but I'd hate to get a second one with the same issue.

Patriot

Flashaholic
If any other s12 owners experience the same thing please let me know. I'd like to buy another one but I'd hate to get a second one with the same issue.

Since it hasn't been discussed in the regular S12 threads, I think you probably had the odd one, possibly effected by the previous owner's mods. Pure speculation on my part but this doesn't seem like a normal characteristic of the S12, based off of the info shared here at CPF.