First Flash light mod - trying to use some existing parts. General Questions Ahead...

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

Long and short of it: I want to modify this torch so that it uses an XM-L (16mm board) and this driver, both of which I have spare from another project that is still on going.

I'm using the above torch because it's cheap in case you're wondering :broke: Proper Maglights in this country are not cheap.

My question is thus: would something along these lines be OK to hold everything together? Without prior experience I can only assume the XM-L will fit in between the base of the reflector and the top of the heat sink. The driver looks as if it will sit just on the outside edge of the base of the heat sink...this is ideal right? I'm clueless...Also I have found a few other similar products but I'm just using that as the example.

I fully understand that some grinding and sanding will be required. But I don't want to purchase the gear and find it's totally incompatible no matter how handy I am. I will, when the time comes, find something that is as close to a perfect fit as possible.

I havn't even considered heat dissipation, though it should be noted that people that have used that driver board tend to believe it only runs the T6's at 2.4A, so it shouldn't run "3A hot".

Thoughts :confused:

Your insight would be appreciated.

Cheers,

- Matt

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes I remember reading that thread. I havn't gone with that exact reflector, but one very similar to it. I can't remember why - I think it was because I wasn't sure if the one you used came with springs...something along those lines anyway!

I don't think it will matter though as the sizing is almost identical and I have learnt from reading that some form of physical modification appears to almost always be required with these reflector/heatsink packages off DX.

The waiting for them to ship the stuff is the killer. I've had a package sitting at some postal office in China for 2 weeks now :-(

onetrickpony

Enlightened
Ah yes I remember reading that thread. I havn't gone with that exact reflector, but one very similar to it. I can't remember why - I think it was because I wasn't sure if the one you used came with springs...something along those lines anyway!

I don't think it will matter though as the sizing is almost identical and I have learnt from reading that some form of physical modification appears to almost always be required with these reflector/heatsink packages off DX.

The waiting for them to ship the stuff is the killer. I've had a package sitting at some postal office in China for 2 weeks now :-(

Yep, it sucks.

onetrickpony

Enlightened

Yep, it sucks.