Zebralight future offerings in XM-L config

HIDblue

Enlightened
Just saw this posted up on Zebralight's website under a "Product Comparison" spreadsheet that lists a bunch of new offerings by ZL using the XM-L. Looks like they've got some interesting offerings in the works for later this year and next, including a AA/123 compatible light that doesn't require an extender, designated as an "SC80." Not sure how they're going to do that, but I'm definitely interested...:eek:oo:

And I see a "T3" and "T5" using an electronic "tail clicky" which would be a departure from their usual side clicky.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...Fc0FfUDFVSHVNS1E&hl=en&authkey=CNqP6KIC#gid=0

jamesmhunt

Newly Enlightened
The SC80 and SC5 which are listed in that section show as using XP-G not XM-L

carrot

Flashaholic
Good luck Carrot, a sleeve/spacer ? Certainly not an easy task

Nothing is required of the user to adapt it for 123 or AA. Either would fit fine. Wondering if Zebralight managed to solve the difficulty of producing it?

But this thread is about Zebralight. I have nothing more to say on the subject.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure there's multiple ways to do it, but I can't think of any that wouldn't be tacky looking :(
Good thing im a carpenter and not an engineer lol

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoo boy, lots of ZL threads going on. Maybe a mod can merge some of these together or something, I can't be furiously jumping between 3 threads at once. :p

srfreddy

Enlightened
The T3 and T5 refer to H502 bins, I think.EDIT: They're probably actually a new product line. I'm likeing the SC5-looks like a SC51 but $40...without the lowlow though. I wish they had plans for an XML 51 series style light though.

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
I'm kinda hoping that a 1x18650 form factor in either H6xx (pure flood) or H6x (headlamp) in XM-L shows up on the list in the future...but that's only wishful thinking on my part.

hatman

Enlightened
The list of new XML products doesn't seem to include any new neutral lights.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too. ZL replied that H602 is only on their 2012 plan. By then, XM-L might be obsolete. It seems to me that they're moving away from 18650 on Hxxx series.

I'm kinda hoping that a 1x18650 form factor in either H6xx (pure flood) or H6x (headlamp) in XM-L shows up on the list in the future...but that's only wishful thinking on my part.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too. ZL replied that H602 is only on their 2012 plan. By then, XM-L might be obsolete. It seems to me that they're moving away from 18650 on Hxxx series.

kreisler

Banned
electronic "tail clicky" which would be a departure from their usual side clicky.
while i dont like the side clicky (and the fact that it's an electronic switch and not a standard clicky which you could buy from everywhere separately as replacement part), also because it ruins the symmetrical beauty of the torch (On a MagLite the switch isnt as prominent..), a tail clicky also means: longer length!

so far, the superlatives of zebralight flashlights (not headlamps) which make some so interesting to consider is:
+ shortest (albeit not the slimmest)
+ lightest weight (and proven to be carried with head band)
+ most optimized for standard batteries (1.2-1.5V), highly efficient light output
+ not the very brightest but as bright as the LED should be driven

A tail clicky will add to the length (and aluminium weight).

So far i already ordered more flashlights then i actually need or use (in EDC rotation, learned from x4cto's rambling), so when i buy yet another torch it has to convince me in its total, or simpler said: i must really LIKE it (it's an emotional and subjective thing. personal). So far all of the Zebralight's lack in optical attractiveness imho. There are many expensive and or cheap torches.. looking at them one spontaneously thinks "wow, i like it! beautiful design. what attractive looks!"

Zebralight torches look as beautiful as Ra Clicky. (whatever that means. no offence.)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont like the side clicky (and the fact that it's an electronic switch and not a standard clicky which you could buy from everywhere separately as replacement part)
Just a side note, the electronic switch should provide MUCH more reliability and longevity than a mechanical switch, most likely never needing to be replaced (at least in your lifetime) since they are typically rated in the hundreds of thousands of cycles.

kreisler

Banned
Just a side note, the electronic switch should provide MUCH more reliability and longevity than a mechanical switch, most likely never needing to be replaced (at least in your lifetime) since they are typically rated in the hundreds of thousands of cycles.
Zebralight has yet to prove that their products are as insensitive and robust as others. The JetBeam brand (SYSMAX) and the Xeno brand (Zhongwin) are prime examples of offering company-made videos in which convincing testing (drop tests, etc.) are published. The Zebralight's incorporate more electronics (even the switch!!) than others so i am wondering how susceptible those light-weight products are to violence: