Mounting Solarforce L2P to Ruger 7.62x39.

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I have a Ruger Mini 30 (7.62x39mm) that I want to mount a light to. I see that DX has an offset light mount (sku 33823) that appears as though it would fit my SF L2P.

My question is, will the battery and led module be ok with the rifle's recoil? I run the Trustfire (flame) 18650's and the Manafront XM-L led module.

It seems inespensive enough to get a pressure switch for the host and if all will be ok, I would probably get a dedicated single mode setup for the rifle.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

J

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be fine, though the electronics in the P60 dropin shoul be potted for better longevity.
The most affordable potted P60 would probably be one built by Nailbender from the Custom modified bst section

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
It should be fine, though the electronics in the P60 dropin shoul be potted for better longevity.
The most affordable potted P60 would probably be one built by Nailbender from the Custom modified bst section

Thanks, I'll look in that section!

Jimdo

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
It isn't necessary to upgrade to a Nailbender Dropin (not that there is anything wrong with that) but your L2p with factory Solarforce LED Module will hold up fine to the recoil of the Ruger Mini 30....
Here is a youtube video that a fella did after buying a light and mount and such from me.... This light holds up (without a single flicker) to 100 rounds of 12 ga.
Take a look here.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya05YpvhLWs
Have a good one.
- Jim Douglas II
Solarforce-USA

Blitzwing

Enlightened
I killed a Solarforce XP-G dropin in an L2 with the torch mounted near the muzzle end. With a new dropin installed and the light mounted away from that whippy, flippy muzzle I have had no problems since. The 7.62X 39 is not a hard kicker so I think you will be just fine.

looman

Enlightened
Mounting on the barrel on a sporting rifle is not sometning I would consider.

I prefer to mount on the scope and above it so the beam is parrel to the optics and the barrel. You may still have a pitch problemn in getting the beam to coincide with the scope image but it is better balanced and a softer spot iro recoil.

Head size of the torch is important as you want sufficient height to avoid clash with the optics body. I use a mount crowned with a piccy rail then you use a QD piccy ring in the appropriate dia for the torch body.

You need to watch out for scope flare which is usually fixed either using a shade on the scope or a non reflective jacket on the moderator

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I'm not in to weapons but I think it's usually recomended to use only primarys and not rechargeble Li-ions when the light is used on a weapon.