making a wooden keyring torch for my mum

Valen

Newly Enlightened
Mothers day is coming up in Australia (different date to America/everybody else just cos we are so special:))
She liked the DX keyring torches I have gotten her in the past so I figured I'd make her something a bit special.
I managed to find some NSPW500GS and I'll look at upgrading to NSDW570GS-K1 if/when I get them. Running of 2x CR2032 cells.

Initial current is high at ~50mA but it drops down to 30mA after a few seconds.
Firstly a few sketches.

And to try some engraving to make it personal

To try some different methods, I firstly painted the left half with a varnish/lacquer then filled both left and right halves with an epoxy with white pigment, then sanded and painted both sides again.
The left half turned out better (aside from a few air bubbles, but then I didn't flame it and I should have) with the epoxy flowing along the grain on the right.
Tried a few different cutters on it as well. A 2mm ball mill for the first 2 (what I'll do the rest of the milling with so it'd be handy if it worked) and it kinda worked but not quite.
The next 3 were with a V bit, I think the first one is the best.

Got some M1.6mm screws in chrome plated finish to hold the two halves together, teensyest screws you ever did see lol. I'll be putting them into a brass strip (gold line in the sketches) to hold the two halves together.

I'll make the first one out of wood on wood just to get the sizing of the "keys" inside to lock it all together, then go to brass next.

Last edited:

Valen

Newly Enlightened
starting to look good

Going to put a silicon filler in around the button to stop rubbish getting in there. Its as bright as one of the energizer keyring torches so with any luck it'll work well.

Valen

Newly Enlightened
Well its getting somewhat belated lol
but hey its all good right?

Using a wood coating to make the surface a bit tougher and smoother, makes it look rather spiffy I think.

Also changed the shape some, so its all rather scooped out now and grippy, feels nice in the hand.

Not going to bother with the fill now, looks plenty good without it.

Latest posts