Maglite 4D/6D with Deep Rebel Reflector

kkara4

Newly Enlightened
Hello All

I am beginning my first Cree XM-L U2 Bin (very exciting!) mod, and am to the stage where I am deciding on the host (order shipping tomorrow for the Crees! two bare and two on 20mm stars with a h6flex driver, all from cutter.com.au). I for sure want to use 4D or 6D, but I notice that these are not currently available (according to maglite website) in Rebel LED version, which I want, because I know the Rebel deep reflector is key to good throw, as compared to the reflector found stock in the 4D/6D.

So my question is, can you buy the deep reflector separately, and then fit it into the 4D/6D?

Will I still be able to focus with the head?

Thankyou for your suggestions.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
some time ago deep reflectors were sold separetly, may be they are in again, there was even thread here about it.
in any case, it is possible to use deep reflector in regular mag, however, tubes that are made for deep reflectors have shorter thread, to make room for longer reflector, to use it in regular mag, you'd need to put heatsink lower into the tube, which might not leave room for driver, depending on how thinck your heastsink is. i did manage to install deep reflector, xm-l on 1/2in thick heatsink, and dx 1 mode p7 driver, however i did not like the way it focused xm-l, FM deep led reflector did much better job, also i tried rebel reflector on p7, and it focused it better that xm-l, i expected to see a cross in the hotspot, but i didn't. i had to cut few mm of the bottom of the reflector to bring xm-l into focus, since xm-l star that i had, didn't fit thru the hole like rebel does.