Fenix HP10 conversion

Bruv

Newly Enlightened
Hello all from New Zealand
I have a fenix HP10 head lamp. I am not yet a light-a-holic and a with am struggling with all the terms and specifications that are used so often here. What I am wanting to do is convert from white led to green led, however I dont know what to buy.
Also I am setting up for night hunting and have also been looking at the Destroyer and the XLR250 torches (Which I understand to be the same),to mount onto my rifle but have seen that quite a few members here and on other forums are buying from china.
Can anyone help me with the conversion, or an alternative to the destroyer/XLR 250 torches

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
for the HP10 conversion, you'll need to disassemble the lamp and replace the stock XR-E emitter with a green XR-E emitter. check out this thread for help with disassembly. and you can get a Green Cree XR-E here. one thing to note is that the Green XR-E emitters can't handle as much current as the other XR-E emitters, so you'll need to take that into consideration.

for the Destroyer/ XLR 250 question, you'll probably get more help if you post in the LED Flashlights subforum.

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened
Why do you want to convert the headlamp to green light? Green light doesn't preserve human dark-adapted vision as well as red light (especially DIM red light), and deer can see green far better than they can see red. But I don't know what you're hunting, so green might be the right color, I don't know.

IMHO, green light for hunting was a marketing gimmick started by Streamlight, to differentiate their lights from other companies lights that had red LEDs. They originally claimed that the green light was for safety (so other hunters could more easily recognize you as a hunter, not just someone out on a night hike).

Bruv

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your replies. As far as green at night is concerned. It is great, I dont know if you are a hunter but when having green light vs red, folliage detail is a lot better. Deer are as blind to red as they are to green.

Bruv

Newly Enlightened
Thannks for the link VT. Probably the only thing I can think of is that there are some very popular green LED throwers out at the moment, marketed by hunting sites. Particularly hog hunting sights and they have a good reputation with some good side by side tests. I suppose it is really what makes the hunter comfortable. Less than 10 years ago, They were all white!!!!!

Jackasper

Enlightened
Just a thought... another option: search around and find a green lens or diffuser cap. Might be a bit difficult to find the exact one to snap on but you could improvise?

Last edited:

Bruv

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the idea Jackasper. I have bitten the bullet and ordered a thrower (5 x cree led - Green) and an HF900 green LED. Will see hoe it all pans out

Latest posts