Proposal for Dual-stage L4 switch

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noted that by inserting a 1/4 watt, 47 ohm resistor in series with the SF L4 switch, the flashlight produces a good brightness with minimal power consuption. The voltage drop across the resistor is about 3 volts, this means that half of the power is wasted in the resistor, but the LED efficiency increases somehow, so the lost is not so dramatic.

The L1 uses a similar approach, with a 1/4 watt 10 ohm SMD resistor in the tailcap. The circuitry of the L1 is different, it "knows" of the possibility of having the 10 ohm resistor in series, and "boot" in low power mode, with greater efficiency of the 50% I got from the proposed mod for the L4.

It would be enough to take an L1 tailcap and replace the resistor with a 47 ohm, but I do not have extra L1 tailcaps to modify, nor the possibility to get some.

Could any of the modder here on CPF come up with such a modified tailcap for sale?

NOTE to the casual reader: DO NOT put the L1 tailcap on the L4. It will immediately blew the 10 ohm resistor.

Regards

Anthony

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this has been noted before in a prior post by someone here on CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif hehe. I don't think the L1 switch would fit into an E2 body however. I don't own an L1 and don't know for sure but I thought the L1 uses the same switch as the A2.

CM