How would a Malkoff Wildcat (the newest vesion) compare with an Eagletac

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about output comparison. Probably similar.
However, without being disrespectful to Eagletac, there's nothing out of China that can rival Malkoff for build quality, and probably ruggedness.
I think the Chinese lights are good value for the money, and sometimes will far exceed what some Malkoff lights might give for output.
But for an overall package, I don't think there is comparison there.
And you'll pay more for the Malkoff. If you ever own one, you'll know why they cost more, and why people pay more to have them. It's more than just a numbers game for some buyers.

For example, I had a 4sevens Maelstrom G5 that threw as far as my Malkoff Hound Dog. Just as bright, threw as far, and even had more brightness selections. Built fairly nicely. Worked well. But the Malkoff had a better beam quality without rings, was built like a precision instrument, and did everything just as well if not better than the G5, and it cost twice as much.
I ended up giving away the G5 to a friend, and keeping the Malkoff.
The extra money spent was worth it, in a direct comparison between owning both lights.
I don't know what else to say but that.
There is something "extra" with the Malkoff lights that just makes them worth it.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
Not sure about output comparison. Probably similar.
However, without being disrespectful to Eagletac, there's nothing out of China that can rival Malkoff for build quality, and probably ruggedness.
I think the Chinese lights are good value for the money, and sometimes will far exceed what some Malkoff lights might give for output.
But for an overall package, I don't think there is comparison there.
And you'll pay more for the Malkoff. If you ever own one, you'll know why they cost more, and why people pay more to have them. It's more than just a numbers game for some buyers.

For example, I had a 4sevens Maelstrom G5 that threw as far as my Malkoff Hound Dog. Just as bright, threw as far, and even had more brightness selections. Built fairly nicely. Worked well. But the Malkoff had a better beam quality without rings, was built like a precision instrument, and did everything just as well if not better than the G5, and it cost twice as much.
I ended up giving away the G5 to a friend, and keeping the Malkoff.
The extra money spent was worth it, in a direct comparison between owning both lights.
I don't know what else to say but that.
There is something "extra" with the Malkoff lights that just makes them worth it.

I concur.. I keep waffling on selling my Wildcat....and to get another light, I would have to. Seems like I cant just own a bevy of lights, I have to make tradeoffs.
However I am in discussions where I might be able to barter into another light and have the best of both worlds.
The Malkoff WC is like a rolls royce light I suppose.
I do love it so

scot

Newly Enlightened
Definitely Malkoff's for me, built like a tank yet very simple!! No silly blinky, SOS, strobe modes....no cycling thru the modes to get to the one you want. Just a simple, almost elegant high and low by turning the head. When deciding on what lights to take camping/varmint hunting, it's always my Malkoff's or Torchlab's!! Usually both.

I'm constantly buying new lights....Eagletac, Sunwayman, Dereelight etc..... yet none of these have made it to my general use camping/hunting bags yet!!