When the **** hits the fan

pri0n

Newly Enlightened
What is your plan? I'm talking full on end of the world Apocalypse. So there will probably not be much electricity to come by to charge all of you beloved lights :eek:unless you keep a generator just for that and then gas will be tough too.
Come to think of it, do they make any decent quality of those wind up lights?
What would you do for food, shelter, fending off gangs and possibly zombies???
I think CPF would be some of the more prepared folks. So tell me, whats your equipment list and plan?

ccwaters

Newly Enlightened
As for power, I have a small portable solar cell charger, should be good for my smaller devices, along with a reasonable supply of cells. Most of the preparedness issues have been mashed over in other sites catering to discussions on the subject. Nothing wrong with being ready, and thinking about it is a great start.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Nothing because I would frankly have no desire to be alive in a world like that where people are scrabbling over the leftover scraps of civilization. Nothing really to live for, and certainly nothing at all to look forward to, at least in the spans of the remainder of my life. Even if we somehow manage to rebuild civilization again, it will be centuries after the event. It's often said that in a major apocalypse the dead are the lucky ones. I happen to agree with that sentiment.

That said, it makes some sense to prepare for a shorter term, more local disaster of some sort from which there will be recovery in the span of months or a few years. I need to look into that a bit more.

DaveyJones

Newly Enlightened
well as it stands obviously the end of the world is going to be preceded by the total
collapse of the dollar.
when that happens i plan to buy tons of supplies cheap from the us.

richpalm

Banned
Nothing because I would frankly have no desire to be alive in a world like that where people are scrabbling over the leftover scraps of civilization. Nothing really to live for, and certainly nothing at all to look forward to, at least in the spans of the remainder of my life. Even if we somehow manage to rebuild civilization again, it will be centuries after the event. It's often said that in a major apocalypse the dead are the lucky ones. I happen to agree with that sentiment.

That said, it makes some sense to prepare for a shorter term, more local disaster of some sort from which there will be recovery in the span of months or a few years. I need to look into that a bit more.

Definitely agree-first thing I'd reach for would be a big bottle of barbiturates, and I'm serious.

Rich

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heard about a new strain of Zombies, they eat backyard chickens and motion detectors, strict diet from what I understand......

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Nothing because I would frankly have no desire to be alive in a world like that where people are scrabbling over the leftover scraps of civilization. Nothing really to live for, and certainly nothing at all to look forward to, at least in the spans of the remainder of my life.
Absolutely. In my case, I am dependent on modern pharmaceuticals (I'm diabetic) without which I face a great deal of unpleasantness. I'd rather just make a clean end to it.

In the realm of fantasy, though - presuming most people ransacking pharmacies would be going after the "fun" drugs - maybe a few prudent ones looking to cache antibiotics and the like - how many people would be going after the metformin, pioglitazone and such? :)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I regard life as a gift. While alive, you have lots of opportunity to experience joy and pleasure, even if it's just in the little things. A sunset, a sunrise, a rainbow, a well cooked meal, a bit of peace and quiet, etc. Yeah, they're little things, but infinitely better than none, which is what you've got while you're dead.

I suspect most people who haven't prepared, and a good percentage of those who have, will be dead in less than a year. That leaves a year of crap to fight through, and then living off the land for the most part. I would easily be able to find joy in such a life; humans are nothing if not adaptable.

I'll do my best to continue.

richpalm

Banned
I regard life as a gift. While alive, you have lots of opportunity to experience joy and pleasure, even if it's just in the little things. A sunset, a sunrise, a rainbow, a well cooked meal, a bit of peace and quiet, etc. Yeah, they're little things, but infinitely better than none, which is what you've got while you're dead.

I suspect most people who haven't prepared, and a good percentage of those who have, will be dead in less than a year. That leaves a year of crap to fight through, and then living off the land for the most part. I would easily be able to find joy in such a life; humans are nothing if not adaptable.

Nope-not me... I don't wanna live in a Mad Max society. If I don't commit suicide, I'd die anyway. Lifelong history of depression so I wouldn't last long... living "normally" is a struggle. Already have 13 hospital stays for mental health trouble.

Rich

Last edited:

pri0n

Newly Enlightened
I would never kill myself right out. In the least, you can end it later if it gets too tough, but theres so much stuff you could still do with life before that point in my opinion. But if it was too bad, I think I'd just do all the things I never dared in life before ending it. IE a lot of drugs and abuse the hell out of my body haha. I just can't see myself stopping before the going gets too tough, thats just wussin out!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Love it! Yep...I'll just resort to what man kind has done for the last 3k years at least...I find pleasure in the woods, the rain, the sunset...hopefully, during the apocalypse, some of that remains, but if not, I'm sure I could find beauty in something. We can survive and adapt just as good as the wild animals...as long as we stay in touch with our primal instincts. Humans are animals with souls...unfortunately, for most of us, we have lost contact wit hour primordial instincts...sorry if this bothers some of you, but that's the way I see it. I'm more afraid of going down town New York than I am of going through the Amazon Rain Forest. The animals aren't going to mug/kill me for the change in my pocket.

Ok, anyways...

Remington 870 Marine Magnum w/ Surefire 918FA Dedicated Weapon-light (Zombies...what the sheeple will become when the system collapses)
Double Star AR-15 (Perimeter Defense/Hunting)
Marlin Bolt Action .22 (Food Acquisition)
SW .40 w/ Insight M4 light (CQC)

The rest of my guns would be stashed/hidden for A) Looters to find, or B) me to acquire later for other uses...not too worried.

Also, to set-up "shop":

NATO Water proof life boat matches
Aviation Fire Starter Kit
Water Purification (Filters/Tablets)
Leather man with Screw Driver bits for accessing parts of machinery
Means to gather water and purify once my short-term water methods have been exhausted
Machete (Mine happens to be a Kabar)
2-3 Fixed blade combat knives
1-2 Folders
Solar Charger with AA's
Stash of Eneloops/Duraloops...this will give me light for about 5-6 years, until the cells die (then I have to break out the "Fire-on-a-stick")
As many medical supplies as I could acquire.

Hell or high water, good times or bad, life is too precious to give up. In the words of Paul "I have learned in whatever state I am in, to be content".

In the words of Viggo Mortinsen "We have to keep carrying the flame".